Back from the Recycle Bin!!

Have Tron related some news? Post it here!
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Re: Back from the Recycle Bin!!

Post by HangmanEXE »

seriously?!!

dang... gonna have to get shady to get some more code info then... dang... slip someone some cash for a DVD full of code info or somethin... both walk away an the whole thing [NEVER HAPPENNED]... lol
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by deeahchur »

Formulation of Plan D, meaning Developer.
Someone postulate a new Tron game using Monolith and try to persuade Disney to buy in, as it were. We got any true game developers in this forum? If not, we need to find them and appropriate them!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

/agree

...ya really. Get us someone on the inside BEFORE a project starts. lol
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote:We got any true game developers in this forum?
Yup.
deeahchur wrote:Formulation of Plan D, meaning Developer.
Someone postulate a new Tron game using Monolith and try to persuade Disney to buy in, as it were. ... If not, we need to find them and appropriate them!
Three reasons why this would be tough up to near impossible: licenses, money, time.
You would need a license to create something under the label of Tron, don't think Disney would so simply play that game. You would need a license to deal with a version of the monolith engine, so that you can successfully extend it. You would need money for both, too much that a single person can bring it up, w/o the warranty to create something successful with it. And time, most pps are too much involved in job, family, etc. All more important then building game, so not much time left for such complex targets.
I know, this sounds negative, so (if anyone is serious about this) here are my...

Suggestions:
Find a good, free solution for a existing game engine (like UDK, Crysis 3 SDK).
Find a (minimum) team of :
- 2 code developers
- 1 or more texture artist
- 1 or more modeler
- 1 animator,
- 1-2 or more mapper
Each person must be able to spend a constant amount of time each week.
Organize this with a good repository, to secure code and content.
Set up a good concept and plan, build up a timeline on this.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

I certainly understand these limitations. One of the big issues I run into is working in DEdit is not a more universal system, so there is very little reward for me outside of a community like this to appreciate the creations. Since I am not a game developer by trade, I struggle with working on projects that are more or less hobbies and not portfolio building. I do very much enjoy world building, and I think it would be great to be involved in a large-scale project if it were certain to go somewhere.

This is not to say that I will not work more on YCP. I will be, when more time permits. But first, I have to move to a new place . . . ah, the stresses of RL.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

The Unreal engine would be a good area to work with as its free to the public as well is the tools. PLUS Tron Evolution is built in that engine so its files will load in the UDK possibly.... an lord knows that game needs some original tron love given to it... [shivers].

The only flaw to that is ... basically you would be having to build an completely new game from the ground up. As Evolution isnt much to start from as a TRON world to build from...
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Sounds like a plan. What is the extent, world-size wise, for the Unreal Engine? I remember playing a demo of Unreal 3, and that was pretty intensive! We will have access to bots, vehicles, environment effects . . . The reason I ask is to create larger, more involved worlds! Can we say Massive Multiplayer? :D
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Meatsack »

Ahhh! My kind of discussion!

First off... determine what kind of game it is: FPS or MMORPG.

A FPS engine like UEdit, DEdit, or even Hammer is great for storytelling and multiplayer action, but is much worse for MMO persistent world action. The database functions just aren't there to hold the kind of data traffic a MMORPG generates. Keeping the individual stats for every player would be crippling. Then you have sync issues with multiple players. We know with 2.0 that even a 4 player match in real time with significant ping differences cause for aggravating matches. That's why MMO's opt for the server-side turn-based action-queing interface. Bottom line is: I'm all for having a TRON-esqe MMO, but it won't likely be on a FPS engine.

Otherwise... I'd like to see something done on the Hammer engine. It's also completely open source and has a ton of developers already collaborating on how to get things done in there. Obviously, Disney isn't going to be granting any licenses to upstarts in the MOD community, but there's no law against making a TRON-like (just not exact) game for public consumption. Look at previews for Saint's Row: The Third for inspiration. We can name it something generic like: Programz: The Revolution or something else non-litagable. :P And if it's good enough, then whoever's working on it might hit the jackpot like Counter-strike & Day of Defeat dev teams and get paid for their work! Oh yeah...
This space intentionally left blank.