Site upgrades underway: Forum updates, Chat room, Wiki

Have Tron related some news? Post it here!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Site upgrades underway: Forum updates, Chat room, Wiki

Post by TronFAQ »

T-D (GREETINGS)

If it's been a while since you last logged into the forum, you may have noticed some changes. This is the completion of the first stage, of our site once again upgrading. A second stage is forthcoming.

The forum software has been updated to the latest version, and I updated our custom forum template/theme to work with it. At the same time, I took the opportunity not only to fix some minor issues I missed when I first created the template, but I also made some improvements. Like enhancing the smiley selection, and having our site admin Load add some code for a new Youtube video button. Just click the Youtube button, then copy and paste the video's address/URL between the youtube tags.

Example:

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjBCRE1T6nE[/youtube]

There's also a new Tron 2.0 Chat room. Well, it's actually not new. I created it, together with Bigred, years ago. But I resurrected it, and at the same time updated it a bit to fix some bugs. It's still not bug-free, but should work pretty well now except for Internet Explorer users. I'll try to fix the one remaining issue in the future, which is that popups don't always appear where they should. It's especially a problem on IE. On IE you sometimes have to click buttons 2-3 times before the popups appear.

Our previous host didn't allow chat rooms, which is part of the reason why it remained dormant for so long. But our current host allows for chat rooms. I think a chat room will come in very handy for organizing online multiplayer matches, or simply to discuss things without having to wait for a forum reply.

Finally, there's the forthcoming LDSO Wiki. Which is mainly being created as a resource for mapping/modding help with Tron 2.0. But I'm also going to integrate my old Unofficial FAQ into it. Not only will it be easier to maintain the FAQ in Wiki form, but it also allows the community to contribute.

Hope you all like the changes, and look forward to your feedback and contributions as we complete all the site upgrades.

T=| (EOL)
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Re: Site upgrades underway: Forum updates, Chat room, Wiki

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

T-] I am sure I speak for many, tho preferably all, when I say the upgrade is appreciated!

T-O I was actually online when the site went to construct program (white) mode and couldn't do anything on the site. Thankfully I wasn't doing anything but checking in at the time.

Td) Chat feature! Finally! Unfortunately at work I am relegated to IE. I accept my fate, so I'll be the IE experiment, then.

EDIT: clicking on Chat in IE garners me the following:
Information
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Tc) I definitely like the addition of more icons, and while I don't mean to be a pest, is there a way we can get or submit more? I have seen some other icons over at Tron-Sector that would be very nice appropriations if possible. T=|

If we can submit other icons, then here is a heads up, either as statement or request: more colored programs options, like what we get with the KA mod! Can we say KA smilies and LCs?! T-D

|___| |___| |___| __o-o
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

deeahchur wrote:EDIT: clicking on Chat in IE garners me the following:
Information
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Does that also happen when you are logged into the forum? I know it happens when you're not logged in. It's a problem with a forum setting that needs to be adjusted. Already informed Load about it earlier.

There's a link to the chat room in my previous message post. I'll repeat it here. Use this one until the forum link is fixed.

http://ldso.net/tronchat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About the smilies. Sure, I can look into adding more or different smilies in the future. Though I think if we end up with too many smilies, it will stretch the page where you compose your message post to a very long length.

Also, before anyone points the finger at us (or me, specifically) for using the icons from Tron-Sector. I asked Sketch (the member and artist who created them) a long time ago if it was okay for me to use them. He said yes, he didn't mind. There has always been a notice at the bottom of the forum saying "Digicons originally by Sketch". This was even before the addition of the latest icons, because some of the pre-existing icons (e.g. the spinning disc indicating new posts) - while not actually Sketch's icons - were based on his original ideas.

The chat room also credits and thanks Sketch for the use of the icons (the About button).
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

(GREETINGS)

I agree! !YES! (YES)
The visual upgrades, and recompiled chatroom are "VERY" nice additions to an already enjoyable site. !YES! (YES)

While the addition of more icons would be nice, I personally dont mind direct linking to OTHER sites an use those, so I am good either way, but I am a site mooch... (LOL) .

The Youtube linking will save alot of headaches for ppl who use preview vids to show off there work also. Nice add with that guys! !YES! (YES)

As for the forthcoming LDSO Wiki, all that I can say is.... OH YA!!! SCORE! Tb)

T=| (EOL)
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Very cool, btw chat on IE 8 on windows XP seems to work fine.
NikitaRabykin
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Orange
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Post by NikitaRabykin »

T-] (GREETINGS)
I like it! :)
I have hope, because all people must remember Tron 2.0, because it fascinating game! T-)
I try recall my friend that they play with this game! T-D

P.S. Daddyo, why you do not use Mozilla FireFox, Google Hrome, Opera and other browser? Why you use Internet Explorer? You so lazy T-)

P.P.S. Sorry for my bad english T-(
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Nikita made a suggestion in chat which reminded me of something that I forgot. I think I'm going to put a status display on the front page of the site, showing what's happening on the LDSO TRON 2.0 Multiplayer servers. Like, when they're up (weekends only at this time), how many servers there are, how many players are on each server . . . stuff like that. So you can see if anyone is online at a glance, without having to load anything.

I'll see if I can get it done in the next few days, to go along with the Wiki.

Then I have to get back to finishing the long delayed User Error update.

Busy times ahead. !YES! (YES)
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

With all respect due to Sketch for the base icons, I hereby submit some modified icons and suggested code to implement, approval-pending, of course. I am willing to adapt more if allowed.

Y=|

Yk|

Yi|
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

NikitaRabykin wrote:P.S. Daddyo, why you do not use Mozilla FireFox, Google Hrome, Opera and other browser? Why you use Internet Explorer? You so lazy T-)
Your so right!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

The Wiki is finally done. At least for now, anyway. T-)

Sorry it took so long. I ended up doing more than planned. The plan was to get the Wiki going ASAP, even if it meant the content would be bare bones to start with. Instead, I think I ended up writing about twice as much as originally intended.

It's still nowhere near complete. Probably sitting at about 10% done right now, and it's definitely rough around the edges. Also, the tutorials were not something that was worked on. They are mostly empty pages at the moment. The content that's been added is mainly factual stuff.

The template of the Wiki has to be customized at some point, as well. Right now, it doesn't fit in with the black/purple theme going on with the rest of the site. That will happen eventually.

The front page is also going to be updated, with a couple of cool little additions.

I've sent all the files to our site admin Load, so now it's just a matter of when he finds the time to install the updates.

Once it goes live, everyone will then be able to start contributing as long as they are members of the forum. Logging into the forum logs you into the Wiki, and vice-versa. The only pages that will be off-limits are LDSO project pages, which can only be edited by LDSO team members.

Before you do any major edits to a page, you might want to click on the Discussion tab for that page and explain what you have in mind before you do it. The Discussion area for each page is to coordinate and discuss what direction you want to take a page and what content you plan to add to it.

Hope you all have fun creating and discussing tutorials once the Wiki goes live. Td)
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

T~o

Cool!

!YES! (YES)

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

As you guys may have noticed, the Wiki has gone live! There have also been some other updates, including a newly designed front page on the LDSO site. The Wiki has a download section too, where you can now download all the important Tron 2.0 files.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Load (and the rest of the LDSO team, too!) for agreeing to these updates, putting up with me, and implementing all the updates to the site. Thanks, Load! T-]

There still appears to be a minor glitch or two that needs to be ironed out, but for the most part everything seems to be working as it should. If anyone discovers a problem, let us know!

Remember, if you're a member of the forum you're automatically a member to the Wiki too. Logging into one will log you into both. One of the first things you might want to do at the Wiki, is create a User page to tell everyone a little bit about who you are. If you click on your user name (which will be in red), it will allow you to create a User page. You can sign your page with a signature by clicking the button that looks like it has a pencil on it.

If you need help with creating and editing Wiki pages, there are a couple of help pages you can read to familiarize yourself with the Wiki syntax.

Formatting Syntax
Examples for the Wrap Plugin
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Can everyone do me a favor, and try logging in directly at the Wiki? Make sure you're logged out of the forum, go visit the Wiki, then click the Login link at the top right and use your forum username and password there. Tell me if you can log in or not.

There might be a bug in the login code of the Wiki, where you can't log in there directly. But if you log into the forum first, then you are fine if you go visit the Wiki.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Looks like it worked for me. I logged out of the forums. Logged in to Wiki. Brought up the forums and was already logged in.

!YES! (YES)

T~o

Out of curiosity, can we get more icons in the Playground? I can make some more grayscale/BW versions of the icons, as well as some additional colors for LCs.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

There's definitely an issue with logging in at the Wiki as opposed to the forum. I've figured out what it is, but fixing it won't be easy. In the meantime, if anyone is having a problem logging in at the Wiki, just log in at the forum instead. I'll try to get as many (mostly minor) issues fixed as I can, over the next few days.

About extra smilies: feel free to create them and add them to the playground page or your user page. I'll see about working them in at some point.