Reinstalling Tron 2.0 - CD or Steam?

Have Tron related some news? Post it here!
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Reinstalling Tron 2.0 - CD or Steam?

Post by SweatyPyro »

Last visit was: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Hell, have I not logged in here for half a decade???

Hi everybody, long time no see. Happy to say I'm doing well for myself, went to college, got a Comp Sci degree (Thanks, Tron...) and work and all that boring stuff. ;) Hope you are all doing well too!

Layer pinged me recently about getting back onto the grid. After dealing with strep throat and my own general laziness, I'm taking a look into getting Tron installed on this nice gaming machine I built with Comp Sci degree money. He might still be asleep as I asked him this but I wanted to know, and might as well stick it to a forum post for whoever else comes this way:

--Start actual question--

I still have my Tron 2.0 CD; and I see Steam has had Tron 2.0 added for a few years now. If I were to go about playing the latest version (latest patch, KA mod, anything else I'm missing?), which version would make the most sense to use?
I don't own the game on Steam but purchasing it isn't an issue.

--End actual question--

Also, what's the best way to bribe friends from my other online ventures to have a play at this one and try it out themselves?

Side note: Any hope for Mac users to take part in KA mod fun?
!!!!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Reinstalling Tron 2.0 - CD or Steam?

Post by TronFAQ »

SweatyPyro wrote:I still have my Tron 2.0 CD; and I see Steam has had Tron 2.0 added for a few years now. If I were to go about playing the latest version (latest patch, KA mod, anything else I'm missing?), which version would make the most sense to use?
I don't own the game on Steam but purchasing it isn't an issue.
Pyro! It has indeed been a long time. Nice to hear from you again. T-]

It doesn't really matter which version you use as a base. Both the Retail and Steam versions are practically identical, and both are compatible with all the existing maps and mods.

If you want to save money, use your Retail disc version. If you prefer convenience, the Steam version is quicker to install.
Side note: Any hope for Mac users to take part in KA mod fun?
If Mac users are willing to create a "wrapper" for the Windows version of the game by using Wineskin (essentially emulating the Windows version on Mac OS X), they can also add maps and mods to it without issue and be compatible for online play. But it does take some effort.

There are other soutions, but I mention Wineskin because it's the free option. Other options would require spending money.