CD Key Authentication Failed

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

CD Key Authentication Failed

Post by Daddyo »

I changed my win XP login to non-admin type of account, and now when I try to play online I get this error. With an admin account, it's fine. Figured it's something to do with McAfee firewall? Time to dump XP???
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Re: CD Key Authentication Failed

Post by xistence »

I think that, if you created a new account, you alse created new user specific data. That means: you get a new user-folder (found under c:/users/<accountname>), and you also might get different registry entries (you might have noticed in the past, that some installers asked you if to install the application for this user only or for all, i think you have just installed Tron2.0 for the specific account you used at that time). So i don't think it might be a real problem with XP, more that you might need to re-install some stuff, so the registry settings for the game, are available for this new account as well. At least, i can remember that the key was stored in the reg somewhere. You could try to copy the reg-entries manually, but you would need to know all, and where to find. If the installer is doing it, will be the cleaner way.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

It's the same install and xp account i've used for years. I recently decided to not be an admin anymore. I'll mess with McAfee some more, I think I see a new feature in the firewall. XP causes alot of trouble for the normal user if they aren't admins, Win 7 seems alot nicer. Thanks for the reply.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

I think it's probably because Tron 2.0 seems to need Admin privileges in order to execute properly, regardless of what version of the Windows OS you're using. Since XP sets user accounts to Admin by default, people usually never have problems on XP. While on Vista and 7 the default is not to have Admin privileges, and - tada - Tron 2.0 has problems unless UAC is turned off or the Tron 2.0 shortcut is set to run in Admin mode.

If you right click the Tron 2.0 shortcut and choose "Run as...", then the radio button "the following user" and run with the Administrator account, your difficulties will likely go away.
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

I'll be darned, you figured it out. I've never even clicked on "run as...", maybe I didn't see it since I was an admin before. I do have to "run as..." every time I want to play. Thanks!