stuck in crouch?

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
a tool
Registered users
Registered users

stuck in crouch?

Post by a tool »

All butt kissing aside, you guys are the reason I bought 2.0. In a bargain bin, but whatever.

Playing the new UserError mod, I'll die and quickload (or regular load). I seem to be stuck, I suppose, in between crouch and actual crouch. I can't walk up ramps or jump at all. If I hit (default) Z it goes even further. It's almost as if I'm running around while laying down, prone. I also seem to ice-skate across the floor.

It's not exactly an OMFG WTF DO I DO bug, but more of an annoyance. I can always start the level over, but I can see this happening by accident later.
NicolA.exe

Post by NicolA.exe »

Don't kiss any butt when the focus is to complain. ;) What about u addon detailed information such Opererating System, Grahpiccard etc... It might be useful & help the team behind UE2 to figure out the problem. U never know...maybe it's not their fault. I hope they can help u.
Mor.Evil-1
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by Mor.Evil-1 »

Greetings Tool,

Sounds like a mpasscam problem.
Make sure your not in that mode when the level changes or you teleport to another level.

If your not in mpasscam mode,
Try typing mpasscam which will zoom the camera out behind you,
Then type mpasscam again to place you back into fps mode.

You cant fire in mpasscam mode,
Its a shame, but alas another "Not having the source code" issue.

Glad to hear you bought the game!
Hope you enjoy it.

Welcome to the forums

Mor
ldso:// Living Dead System Operators Clan
[2.0PD] 2.0 Program Developers
Support the movement!
http://www.flynnlives.com

See you on the Grid!!
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Sometimes the game engine will lag for a second a spawn you into objects. When you're half inside the floor you'll get that ice skating effect.

Like Mor said try typing "T" to bring up the chat line and then enter the cheat code: mpasscam to switch in and out of 3rd person view. That might fix the glitch for you.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

Yep, typing mpasscam a couple of times should fix the problem.

Glad to hear you picked up the game, and thanks for dropping by our forum. PDT_Armataz_01_34
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by win3k »

Also: check the status of your caps lock key. Should be off. Ensure that it is, reload if necessary

Cheers

win3k
ldso://win3k - Living Dead System Operators
a tool
Registered users
Registered users

Post by a tool »

Awesome welcome and quick to boot!

I tried the "mpasscam" code. Here's what it did. As you can see, it looks like I'm crouching. mpasscam and I'm stuck in the floor. mpasscam again and it's back the way it was initially. I tried typing it quickly, still no dice.

Running the 1.042 patch with the REZ handler. Pent D 2.8, 2GB RAM, XP Pro SP2, Nvidia 8500gt + forceware 169.21. Directx9c. If someone requires the dxdiag, I can supply that as well.

as an afterthought, is there a "noclip" code? that might help. shrug.

on a side note, sk soft has this neato bit program. it's, i guess, like a magic eight ball. it's nerdy. i like it. :-D
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

When you're in mpasscam mode (third person), try jumping to get out of the floor.

Unfortunately, there's no working noclip code.
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

There may be a issue with the model dimensions for the Custom Jeremy model. You seem to be the only person having the issue.

Is it like that all the time? can you recreate it or is it happening at random?

What Display setting are you running the game at? low, medium, high? Could be a level of detail issue (LOD) Jeremy only has one LOD.

Also, I've had that Bit program for a while very cool but thanks for sharing it with the rest of folks I wasn't sure where to find it anymore. Great for making very important decisions at work.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
a tool
Registered users
Registered users

Post by a tool »

Tried jumping in mpasscam. No luck. Stayed firmly in the floor. The character jumped, but didn't come out.

I can recreate it every time I (quick)load a game using UserError2 (hah). Quickload or regular. I'll start off just chilling out in the floor. I just tried to run a regular game and quick/loading and it loaded normally; no irregularities.

I'm running these settings:

1024x768x32
vsync: on
performance: high detail
texture res: high
precache: on
display: all on
special effects: all high

Perhaps the settings are too high?

Here's an .avi of what it's doing (~10mb - 2:15). The screen flickering is due to the program I was using to capture (hypercam). This is the only way I can think to let you see what's going on.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I watched the video . . . there's something I need to point out:

User Error is a mod, not a map. It's easy to confuse them, because they're both files that end in a .REZ extension. You can use REZ Handler to install a mod (using the "Install Mod" feature on the menu) but it's not meant to enable and disable Mods. Only maps. Above each file list you'll see it says "Active Maps" and "Inactive Maps" (paraphrasing). Looks like you installed User Error as a map too. Mods get put somewhere else in a different folder, away from the maps.

The weird behavior you're having might be the result of having User Error installed as both a mod and a map. Make UserError.REZ inactive (highlight it and click the Derez button), and then use the "Delete selected .REZ file" feature to delete User Error as a map. The mod file will remain. Then try playing the mod again.

The next version of REZ Handler will be a total replacement for the Tron 2.0 game launcher, to help avoid this kind of confusion in the future (enabling and disabling the two different types of files in two different places). The documentation does explain things, mind you.

I can't say for certain that this will cure your problem, but it might just be the cause.
a tool
Registered users
Registered users

Post by a tool »

I see what you said about Mods and Maps being different. There was a .REZ in \custom\resources. Deleted it just to be sure and ran the game with UserError checked in the custom panel.

Here's what happened. (~6mb 1:15). I'm out of ideas and it's late. I really do appreciate you guys helping even if this is a one in a million fluke.
Mor.Evil-1
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red

Post by Mor.Evil-1 »

Only ever seen this problem attributed with mpasscam.
Especially if your in asscam mode and you use a teleporter.

** I would suggest, starting over and saving a new game.
Make sure your not in mpasscam mode when you save as well,
This could be causing an issue.

I will do some testing to see,
If its possible to recreate the issue you are having,
And try to find a soloution for you.

Watching your video,
It did seem you were able to reset things when you started the level.

How about playing after you have things reset and see what happens after that.

Your having this problem when you save in the first room.
Once you have things reset as in the start of your second video,
Go ahead and play forward a bit,
Then try saving in the next room to see what happens.

If the problem continues to present itself on every level,
Please let us know.

The first 5 levels were created by meatsack.
Will have a look around to see if anyone has the source to his levels,
If its a structure issue, we may not be able to fix this problem.

Mor
ldso:// Living Dead System Operators Clan
[2.0PD] 2.0 Program Developers
Support the movement!
http://www.flynnlives.com

See you on the Grid!!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

a tool wrote:Here's what happened. (~6mb 1:15). I'm out of ideas and it's late. I really do appreciate you guys helping even if this is a one in a million fluke.
Hmm, okay. It was worth a try. Obviously that wasn't the issue, then.

It's really difficult to say what the problem is at this point. If you've tried starting a completely new game, did not use mpasscam at all, and this issue still crops up . . . I'm not sure what else it could be. I don't think anyone else has had this problem.

It does seem there's a slight issue with the collision detection for the Jeremy model (as we can witness in mpasscam mode, where his legs are suspended in the air). I was able to reproduce that myself. Yet despite that, I've never had any problem with sinking through the floor. Very strange.

And the detail setting options should have nothing to do with the problem. The model having different LODs (instead of just one) is only meant for reducing the complexity of drawing a model at a distance, and I do not believe it's tied to the detail settings at all. Regardless, I tried setting the game to Low details and the model behaved exactly the same. Including the legs suspended in the air at first in mpasscam.
a tool
Registered users
Registered users

Post by a tool »

I've been playing for a little over an hour, being extra careful where I save and how (quick or reg). Although, I don't think that has anything to do with anything. After actually getting into the game, the glitch (I suppose) goes away. Haven't, as of yet, found any other place where I clip into the floor after loading. I have a bad habit of quicksaving like a heroin junkie; gotta get my fix, man. :-D

I'll keep you guys updated.