Can't start TRON 2.0

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
death_program
Registered users
Registered users

Can't start TRON 2.0

Post by death_program »

Here's my situation:

I originally had one hard drive, partitioned as thus: C is Windows 98, D is Windows XP. I added another hard drive, so now C is the new drive (XP), D is the first XP, and E is 98. I cannot start TRON 2.0 now, I only get the option to Install. Has this happened to someone? Any advice? Should I re-install (not sure if I can find my disc anymore)?

Thanks,
DP
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

You cannot use programs installed under one version of windows just easily under another one. Most are adding registry-entries, but there is a registry for each of your windows-version, and one cannot use the other.
So if you set up a new version of WindowsXP you also need to reinstall most of your programs, at least those which are adding stuff to the registry. Tron2.0 does, so you want to reinstall as this is the easiest way, otherwise you have to fiddle around with registry what i don't recommen.
I wouldn't deal with to many versions of windows honestly, as windows XP can run most stuff of win 98, and if not there are good tools (like DosBox) to run them, better then to have to many versions just confusing the situation. Just a recommendation.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Like X said, if you install a new version of Windows to another partition, it doesn't automatically pick up what applications and settings you have on the other installation of Windows. The only way for that to happen, is if you choose to "upgrade" and install over top of a partition with an existing install of Windows.

In other words, your new install of XP is starting over fresh from scratch. The old install of XP is totally separate. You'll have to re-install all your programs on the new XP partition.
death_program
Registered users
Registered users

Post by death_program »

I actually was running off of the D partition on my un-improved computer, so there is no change in file system etc.

Other programs I've tried after the switch, eg. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, work if I make a shortcut on my desktop to the executable in my D drive.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Well things can work that way but in the end don't have to. Fact is that most programs using the registry to store information as where they are installed. Fact is as well that some programs will always generate these information new if they cannot find them in the registry, others won't.
But as soon a program does not generate such information afterwards, instead it just demands them, a move of an installation-folder can work out very bad. And to invoke programs you have installed under a different OS, just accesing them from the current, is like you have moved or renamed these folders : registry information are missing and each program has to deal with this situation in its own kind.

About Tron2.0 i know that it uses information like installed patches, custom-folder, basic installation-folder. If these reg-entries are missing you need to create them, manually if you know how (not recommend) or with an installation. Otherwise Tron2.0 can't work.

Other programs might work, but this is more luck then a general situation you can await.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Sure, you might get lucky and a few of your programs will still run. But most of them won't. On your new install of XP, the registry is empty. Most programs will look in the registry of the currently running version of Windows, to find where they're installed and what settings were last used. They won't look at the registry of the old install of Windows.

You could try exporting part of the registry on the old install of XP to a .reg file, that you could click on in the new install of XP. It would import that content back into the registry on the new install. But, frankly, it's almost more hassle than it's worth. It's generally easier to just re-install programs that aren't working.