No sound...

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

No sound...

Post by TRON.dll »

Ugh, ever since I got vista it's been countless problem after problem. :(

TRON 2.0 was kicking me at every map rotation online because of what layer says was a sound card issue. I uninstalled the Realtek driver and guess what! Now, not only will TRON 2.0 not start up, but I also have NO SOUND. :x

Help. Please... :(
http://timewastergames.blogspot.com

Timewaster Games = teh w00t :D
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

How about reinstalling the Realtek driver?

Maybe someone here can back me up on this, but you might also want to try using the Asio4All driver:

http://www.asio4all.com/

It says that they improved Vista compatibility, but I'm not sure that it will fix your problem. I use Asio whenever I have to disable my X-FI sound card during certain music producing operations.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Well, by uninstalling the sound driver and not replacing it with another one, now you have no sound capability whatsoever. So it's not surprising Tron 2.0 doesn't want to work any more. You'd have to disable sound in the game launcher, to make it work again.

Though, Vista should detect that the sound driver is missing, and try to install it again automatically. The problem there, is it will try to download and install the latest. Which seems to be what was causing the problem in the first place. What you need, for now, is an older version of the Realtek driver.

As I understand it, you're using the HD Audio codec chip from Realtek. The latest HD Audio codec driver from Realtek is v2.02. And according to what I've read, 2.01 and 2.00 both were released within the last couple of months. When did the problem start?

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/

Look on that page, and download the "Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs Rx.xx Vista" file that's dated prior to when the problem started. Install that, and see what happens.

And in the future, when you do Windows updates, you'll have to specify that you don't want to download the latest Realtek driver. Or else the problem could come back.

Hopefully, installing an older Realtek driver will cure your problem. When Layer told me about this same problem he'd had, he said that reverting to an older Realtek driver cured it.
Layer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Layer »

Vista automatically installed a generic realtek sound driver for my chipset - because I don't have windows update checking for newest versions and auto-updating (as I could never trust blindly updating).

You want to make sure Vista installs the following Driver (as it appears in device Manager properties):

High Definition Audio Device

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 6/21/2006

Driver Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Digital Signer: microsoft windows

I have also tried the newest Realtek drivers released (R2.02 - released 8/18/2008). These cause the same issues as the previous drivers. The only ones that I have been successful with for TRON 2.0 have been the ones provided by Microsoft. And I have had no issues in any other games using the older drivers either.
Last edited by Layer on Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Layer wrote:The only ones that I have been successful with for TRON 2.0 have been the ones privided my Microsoft.
Wow, that old huh? I didn't think you'd have to go back that far, to the generic MS driver.

Well, in that case, if TRON.dll changes the Windows Update settings to not automatically install stuff: Vista should use its own included generic driver to replace the one he uninstalled.

Start menu > Control Panel > Security > Windows Update > Change Settings (on the left side) > Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

I just turned on my computer (I'm posting from my Wii's browser right now) and Vista took the liberty of automatically reinstalling the audio driver that I uninstalled. So I guess that problem's solved. Next problem: My computer won't connect to the internet despite the fact that it is physically plugged into my router via a LAN cable.

Every day, there is a new problem. EVERY. EFFING. DAY. :x

UPDATE: I think I may have nailed this new problem. My router is acting like nothing is plugged into any LAN ports on it. I only have one thing plugged into it at the moment, and that is the LAN cable coming from the computer. I've tried switching ports with absolutely no luck. I've come to the conclusion that it is a bad LAN cabel, and not a problem with Vista.

Layer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Layer »

Oh..and another thing about Vista and installation of drivers.

Even if you uninstall a new driver - you have to tell Vista to delete it at uninstallation or it will auto-install the newest driver it can find.

I noticed this when installing/testing the newest Realtek driver - Vista had reinstalled the new driver for me upon it's uninstallation of the same driver at reboot.

It's a handy feature (I suppose)- you MAY be able select a driver revision to install (since it keeps all of them apparently) but I wouldn't know how to do that without Googling.
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

What is Vista? Sounds like a pain in the ass.
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by win3k »

What is Vista?
Proof that Microsoft hates you, your children, and all your children's children.

win3k
ldso://win3k - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

win3k wrote: Proof that Microsoft hates you, your children, and all your children's children.
and then some
Read my NEW blog, fool!
http://iliketolaugh.tumblr.com/
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

I just found out why I can't connect to the internet.

Lemme bring you up to speed on how my connection works (and I'm 100% sure I've got it right this time):

COAX cable plugs into internet modem. A LAN cable coming from the internet modem plugs directly into the router (and the router works with my wireless connections i.e. Wii, Laptop, Palm, etc. so I know that LAN cable is in working condition), and there's a LAN cable that goes from an output port on the router directly into the LAN input port on my new computer. I tried replacing the original LAN cable with another one, and still no luck. Then I tried the LAN cable going from the modem to the router, which I KNOW works. The setup at that point was as follows:

COAX goes to modem.
LAN from modem goes to PC.

With that cable plugged in, still no luck. Windows is telling me that there is NO CABLE PLUGGED INTO THE LAN PORT ON MY COMPUTER, even though this cable, which I just plugged back into my router (for the original configuration) with succesful results, works. Wtf... :x

Jademz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jademz »

You have to completely reboot your network when moving from modem to router, and vice versa. wait 30 seconds or so before reconnecting power.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

I don't think that's the problem..

The router has lights on it for each LAN output port. About 3 days ago, when it stopped working, none of the LAN output port lights were on, despite the fact that the LAN cable was, in fact, connected to an output port and the LAN input port on the computer. I'll try your suggestion (and if it works, I'll change my desktop background to your avatar, lol*), but if it doesn't work, then we're gonna have to take it back to Best Buy and have them check it out. :(

*When I said "I'll change my desktop background to your avatar", I said it with giant sarcasm quotes.

5 build points to anyone can guess what game that's a reference to. 8-)

TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

Okay, this is starting to get weird...

First off, I tried your advice, Jademz, no luck.

When I turned on my computer earlier today, the weather tool (the little thing on the desktop that connects to the internet and downloads the current weather) displayed a (incorrect) temperature of 73 degrees. Vista would've had to have connected to the internet in order to get that info, because previously, it said "this service is not available". Now, it's said 73 degrees all day, so it's obviously not updating, but when I turned the computer on, it still said that there was no LAN cable plugged in. My head hurts now.

Jademz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jademz »

Call the ISP technical dept. ask them to send a signal to your modem to see if everything is ok on their end. which I'm guessing it is.

Make sure you're using a "patch" lan cable, not a "crossover" by accident. I'd try another cable also.

go to your Administrator tools, or whatever similar diagnostic utility it has, look for the event viewer. if error messages pop up in any places, look them up on microsoft's website.
I don't have vista, but I imagine the terminology is the same.

Disable your firewall completely. hit control-alt-delete and figure out what's running. It's possible that uninstalling and reinstalling your firewall may do the trick. Configuration may be the key with your firewall. I've had nightmare firewalls that block me often, Mcaffee, outpost, avg, I have a list of firewalls that have caused me problems in the same ways you're having issues. Make sure your software compatibility w/vista isn't the issue. uninstall similar programs and apps, they cause instability.