TRON 2.0 PC Game Mini-FAQ

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

TRON 2.0 PC Game Mini-FAQ

Post by TronFAQ »

Q: Does TRON 2.0 work on Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8?

A: Yes, to all three. I can personally verify this: since I have run TRON 2.0 on the original release of Vista, Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, and Windows 8. The game even works with the 64-bit versions, which can sometimes be more problematic with compatibility than the 32-bit versions of Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 that some people might still be using.

If you are having a problem getting the game to install or run in Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, it's not directly the fault of the operating system. You probably need to update one or more of your drivers, or download all the Windows Update hotfixes. Also make sure that you are running the game in Administrator mode. The game has been tested and confirmed to work on both the original release of Vista, and Vista updated with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Service Pack 2 (SP2).

And on Windows 7, the game runs better than on Vista or even Windows XP. Yes, I am serious. Windows 7 is incredibly good and I recommend it. There is little reason to hesitate upgrading to Windows 7, like was the case with Vista. Games like TRON 2.0 run faster and smoother on Windows 7 than they ever did on Vista.

However, I personally do not recommend upgrading to Windows 8 at this time. When it comes to playing games, stick with Windows 7 for now. If I change my mind on this, I'll update this Mini-FAQ. Despite the recommendation, TRON 2.0 does run even smoother on Windows 8 than it does on Windows 7. Believe it or not.

One bit of advice I can give if you're having any difficulty, is to try using the Unofficial Patch instead of the Official one. And this goes for all versions of Windows. Sometimes, in rare cases, the Official Patch won't install properly.

Q: Is there a demo of TRON 2.0 that I can try out for free?

A: Yes, there is. You can download it from here.

This is the final "Gold" TRON 2.0 demo that Monolith released, with both Single Player and Multiplayer content. It works on 98/Me/2000/XP/Vista/7/8. If you don't already own TRON 2.0 and want to find out if it's any good, then try out this demo. But it doesn't really do justice to the full game. :)

This demo is for PC owners only. No Mac demo was ever released. The demo version will not allow you to play online together with people who have the full version of the game. It also does not work with any custom maps or mods created by fans.

Q: Why am I not able to join any TRON 2.0 Multiplayer servers? When I try to Join an Internet Game, the server list is empty.

A: There are several possibilities, but the most likely reason is because you haven't patched the game yet. You need the latest v1.042 update, or else the game will not find any servers online that are compatible with your old version of the game.

Watch this TRON 2.0 XP/Vista/7/8 Install Guide video for more help and a patch download link

Note that if you have any saved games from the Single Player part of the game, they will become useless. You will have to start the game over again from the beginning. So you might want to hold off on patching until you've first finished the Single Player game.

Q: When I try to join a Multiplayer server, I get kicked off. Why is that?

A: Again, there are several possibilities. The most likely one, is that the server is hosting custom maps made by the players themselves, in the TRON 2.0 community. If you do not have any of these maps, you will be kicked off when a map you don't have becomes active in the map rotation.

To get the custom maps, and to help you install them, visit these links:

All Files in one place - All the custom maps (and many other useful files) can be found here
TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ - Screenshots for most of the maps can be found here

Q: Is there any way I can play the custom maps by myself?

A: Virtually all of the custom maps are meant for Multiplayer use only. However, it's still possible to check out the maps as the only player, by yourself.

Click here to read a guide on how to install and use Multiplayer custom maps

Q: I've noticed strange things happening with the game, when I have too many maps. What's going on?

A: TRON 2.0 has a limit of how many maps or map packs it can handle. After using the Official v1.042 Patch, you will be limited to 6 map packs. The Unofficial v1.042 Patch raises this to 13 map packs. This is why I always recommend the Unofficial Patch, and why the download link above is to the Unofficial Patch.

If you download and install REZ Handler to help install and manage your maps, every time you run the program it will keep track of how many map packs you have installed. If you go over the limit, it will automatically disable some. But you can also choose which ones you want to enable or disable, yourself.

Q: When I run the game, I get an error saying I need a video card with "Hardware TnL". What's up with that?

A: In order for the game's graphics to perform smoothly, your computer needs certain features on your video card/chip as a minimum. One of these features is called Hardware Transform and Lighting (aka T&L or TnL). Without it, TRON 2.0 will refuse to run.

3D-Analyze is a program that allows you to bypass the TnL check, if your video card/chip doesn't meet the game's minimum hardware requirements. The game may run slowly as a result, but at least it will run. Find out how to use it, HERE. The program works on 98/Me/2000/XP.

Integrated graphics chips built into motherboards and laptops (like S3, Trident, and Intel), are typically poor solutions for gaming. It's recommended that, if possible, you upgrade to a new video card.

Q: Does TRON 2.0 support widescreen?

A: Not properly, no. That is not to say that the game won't work at all at higher widescreen resolutions, of course. It's just that if you run the game on a widescreen monitor, the picture will become distorted. TRON 2.0 only properly supports resolutions with a 4:3 aspect ratio, while widescreen displays use a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio.

However, the TRON 2.0: KILLER APP Mod solves this problem. One of the features of the mod, is proper widescreen support in the game.

Q: None of the previous answers have helped me with my problem. Is there somewhere else I might be able to find help?

A: Yes. Visit my TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ to find more troubleshooting info, walkthroughs, map screenshots and descriptions, plus more.