v1.1 Game Bugs

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
Stevedroid
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Re: v1.1 Game Bugs

Post by Stevedroid »

Mor.Evil-1 wrote:@ Stevedroid

You will need to adjust the core clock settings on your video card.
More than likely you will need to under clock them.
This doesn't make sense to me. The corruption, at least for me, is only triggered by loads within a level. As mentioned above, when I played for several hours using god mode to avoid loading except for initial level loads, I experienced no corruption whatsoever. The fact that there's a specific game action that triggers the corruption, and that I didn't experience any corruption for hours when avoiding that action, strongly suggests it is NOT an overheating issue (again in my case at least).

I mean at this point, the most appealing solution is simply to continue playing in god mode to avoid loads. It'll kill the challenge of course - but I already beat the game plenty of times back in the day. I'm replaying it more just to see the incredible art design again.
Mor.Evil-1
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by Mor.Evil-1 »

Stevedroid,
Use this info as you will.
Not saying nor do I think your card is over heating.

From your pics,
I have seen that "Exact Problem" before.
The only thing that will cause the graphics to stretch out, look broken, and spike like that,
Is your video card settings are set to high for the game engine.
Believe me or not its up to you. :wink:

G/L amigo
Mor
ldso:// Living Dead System Operators Clan
[2.0PD] 2.0 Program Developers
Support the movement!
http://www.flynnlives.com

See you on the Grid!!
Stevedroid
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Stevedroid »

Mor.Evil-1 wrote:The only thing that will cause the graphics to stretch out, look broken, and spike like that,
Is your video card settings are set to high for the game engine.
I just don't understand how underclocking my video card would possibly have any effect on an issue that manifests (for me at least) only with in-level loads. It's not inconceivable that there could be multiple unrelated issues that result in the same symptoms. For what it's worth, I have never seen corruptions on Jet's hands like you mentioned. The corruption is always on "decoration" models that are distinct from the main level geometry - like those rings in my screenshots, door controls, or floating boxes.

As far as fixing it, playing through the game in god mode, while not ideal, is a less invasive change to my overall system than changing my video card clocks and seems just as effective at preventing the corruption - so I'd prefer to go with that.

In any case, I just performed a full system format/reinstall last night (for reasons unrelated to Tron 2.0). So when I reinstall Tron 2.0, I'm going to test it out fully unpatched and see if the corruption occurs in that one section in my screenshots where I could readily duplicate it. I trust that it's not due to the KA mod, this is just for curiosity sake.

---update---
Yup, even in version 1.010 the corruption occurs. Definitely not the mod or the patch.
Mor.Evil-1
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by Mor.Evil-1 »

Well SD,
I'm sure in time, with more troubleshooting, you will figure out why, you seem to be experiencing very bad "Graphical tearing" and "Corruption", but I'm sure its nothing to do at all with your "Graphics card" becoming "Stressed out" or nay say possible "Overheating", Nahhh, no way :wink:

Good luck
Mor

** WOW picture shown taken from WOW troubleshooting faq forums. In no way do I actually play WOW, ty.**
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support the movement!

See you on the Grid!!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Mor.Evil-1 wrote:** WOW picture shown taken from WOW troubleshooting faq forums. In no way do I actually play WOW, ty.**
like: "WOW!! How can you seriously play that 32 hours the day?"
----
Unfortunately this problem can be related to too many things: DirectX messed up, GraCa-driver must be updated, overclocking (already named) or probs with the engine after an update (if something was changed related to .DLL's or other core-elements of the engine). Another reason can be if the verticies in the map-architecture are freaking out (concave polies and such stuff), but not in retail-maps which were ok all the time.
No way that stuff like modding textures will result in such effects. If everything so far can be excluded, it will be hard to find a reason.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
Stevedroid
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Stevedroid »

Mor.Evil-1 wrote:Well SD,
I'm sure in time, with more troubleshooting, you will figure out why, you seem to be experiencing very bad "Graphical tearing" and "Corruption"
I'm think I already did, and the rolleyes really isn't needed. Something about quick-loads, possibly in combination with a driver bug or modern DX bug, isn't clearing or is screwing up the model cache. Exhibited by the fact that I can play for hours without experiencing the problem as long as I don't load in-level (can you coordinate that behavior with your theory as to the cause?) and by the fact that alt-tabbing, which flushes and re-initializes the renderer, clears the corruption.

Overheating/over-stressed card is only one of many things that can cause vertex coordinates to get messed up as xistence points out. It's often the most likely cause, but only when the context makes sense and based on the info I've gathered thus far, it doesn't. I suspect it's either related to a driver bug with modern video cards - or something that the game was always doing wrong, but it only manifests in modern drivers that adhere to different standards (it would not be the first case of this happening).

In any case, I've confirmed it's not related to the mod or the patch, and I've found a solution that I can live with, so we don't really need to continue the disucssion.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Another thinkable reason could be that your card and/or directx is too modern. The producers are not taking care for downward compatbility for older games if they are too old and/or of the engine is programmed to specifc, based on 'tricks' or uses of special directx-calls, maybe this can create intermittently errors. I already noticed texture-errors when alt-tabbing out of the game sometimes, since it was released. It seems to be something in combination of engine-problems extended by intense demands of the graphical hard/software.
Or it is a 'do'h'-effect because the reason might be easier then everything and totally dumb.
Just try to exclude everything you can, if you have the option test the same software combination on other hardware, try to deactivate some settings, update all drivers or libraries. And did ou already checked you DirectX-state with dxdiag?
blog
Load81
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Orange

Post by Load81 »

Looking at the Tron picture reminds me of the problem I had with my Tron game a while go. I would get strange geometric shapes, basically spikes coming from my arms or objects in the distance creating huge triangles and what not. This would happen with Tron and with LOTRO. What was strange was that it would come after a little bit of playing. It seemed so random to me. After days on forums trying to find a solution, I found that to fix the problem I had to underclock my video card a little bit, about 5-10mhz. I had an Nvidia card, so I used Riva Tuner to underclock the core speed. I would decrease the core clock speed by 1 mhz at a time until the problem went away. It was weird having to do that, but it solved the problem of the weird "spikes" and "artifacts" finally disappeared. Like you said before, it could be a whole mess of things, but I just wanted to provide the link to the program in case it's useful.
ldso:// Load"*",8,1
http://www.fraglesstees.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ldso.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mor.Evil-1
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by Mor.Evil-1 »

and the rolleyes really isn't needed.
As far as that goes, sorry mang meant to post the wink, my bad. They are right next to one another.

All any of us here at ldso with our near 8 years of development, troubleshooting, modding, and so forth are trying to do is offer you some possible alternatives to the questions and problems you have indicated Stevedroid.

There are few problems we havent seen or have had to work out some viable solution to at this point from the lovely Jupiter Engine.

If you might be willing to share the specs of what hardware you are running in your pc,
We all might be able to aid you further.

What X pointed out was one of the next things I was going to get into.
2.0 is pretty old stuff. When the developers made the game,
dont think they intended it to last as long as it has.
Were rather lucky the game still plays on the new OS out there now.
I know I have some old circa Win95 games that wont work on XP to Win7 =(

I would be interested in knowing what OS your running?
Been reading up on many issues such as the graphics tearing you posted,
attributed to Vista and Win7 drivers and The new Direct X drivers as well.

Lates
Mor
Support the movement!

See you on the Grid!!
Jizaboz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jizaboz »

Grrr... I still have all locked light-bikes after a completely fresh re-install.
  • I uninstalled the mod, the patch, and the game.
  • Deleted the Buena Vista folder.
  • Rebooted.
  • Re-installed the game to defaults.
  • Rebooted.
  • Installed the patch to defaults.
  • Installed the mod to defaults.
My only guess is that maybe it's because I'm using 64-bit Windows XP? Perhaps the (x86) in my program files folder path is messing with a registry entry or something? All of the installers detect the x86 program files directory fine, so I know the data files themselves are all in the right place.

I'm sorry pester you again with this TronFAQ (or anyone else with any ideas), I just really want to enjoy this awesome mod!
Jizaboz

xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

AFAIK Lithtech doesn't store such stuff, like what things are done or unlocked in game, in the registry. Most time that can be found in the savegame-files. It can be expected that the 64-bit address range is messing things up when stuff is saved/loaded from savegame-files. I know from my programming how weird Win64 can act if you don't pay attention to the address-size during memory or file i/o.
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

Jizaboz wrote:Grrr... I still have all locked light-bikes after a completely fresh re-install.

My only guess is that maybe it's because I'm using 64-bit Windows XP? Perhaps the (x86) in my program files folder path is messing with a registry entry or something? All of the installers detect the x86 program files directory fine, so I know the data files themselves are all in the right place.
It's possible . . . since 64-bit versions of Windows virtualize the "Program Files" folder and the original folder becomes "Program Files (x86)", with 32-bit applications getting redirected to this newly named folder while 64-bit applications now go to "Program Files". Since the mod installer is 32-bit, it's supposed to have all its file operations sent to "Program Files (x86)" but maybe something is going wrong during this process.

The only catch is - if that was indeed the problem - then none of the mod installer's file operations should work. It wouldn't really make sense if some file operations worked fine, while others did not. (The only way I could account for something like that is if there was a bug in the actual installer creation program software itself.)

Yet, that's exactly what seems to be happening. Most people apparently have no problems at all, but a few are reporting the Light Cycles not being unlocked. Which means a certain file operation during the install isn't being executed correctly.

Something easy you can try, is running the Mod Manager and changing the "New Light Cycles" option to the opposite of what you find when the program loads.

If that doesn't work, you can follow the instructions in this message post to unlock the Light Cycles. Though those instructions are for unlocking the old, normal colors. If you want the new colors, you'll have to use these lines instead.

Code: Select all

UnlockedLightCycleBikes0 = "LightCycle_CYAN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes1 = "SuperCycle_CYAN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes2 = "LightCycle_White"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes3 = "SuperCycle_WHITE"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes4 = "LightCycle_Raven"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes5 = "SuperCycle_BLACK"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes6 = "LightCycle_IronMan"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes7 = "SuperCycle_IronMan"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes8 = "LightCycle_Copper"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes9 = "SuperCycle_Copper"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes10 = "LightCycle_Ice"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes11 = "SuperCycle_Ice"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes12 = "LightCycle_Glass"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes13 = "SuperCycle_Glass"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes14 = "LightCycle_Prizm"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes15 = "SuperCycle_Prizm"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes16 = "LightCycle_Chrome"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes17 = "SuperCycle_Chrome"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes18 = "LightCycle_Gold"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes19 = "SuperCycle_Gold"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes20 = "LightCycle_Wraith"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes21 = "SuperCycle_Wraith"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes22 = "LightCycle_HALLOWEEN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes23 = "SuperCycle_HALLOWEEN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes24 = "LightCycle_COLD"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes25 = "SuperCycle_COLD"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes26 = "LightCycle_HEAT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes27 = "SuperCycle_HEAT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes28 = "LightCycle_BLACKLIGHT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes29 = "SuperCycle_BLACKLIGHT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes30 = "LightCycle_AMBER"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes31 = "SuperCycle_AMBER"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes32 = "LightCycle_MONOCHROME"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes33 = "SuperCycle_MONOCHROME"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes34 = "LightCycle_KILLERAPP"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes35 = "SuperCycle_KILLERAPP"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes36 = "LightCycle_XBOX"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes37 = "SuperCycle_XBOX"
Jizaboz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jizaboz »

tronfaq wrote:It's possible . . . since 64-bit versions of Windows virtualize the "Program Files" folder and the original folder becomes "Program Files (x86)", with 32-bit applications getting redirected to this newly named folder while 64-bit applications now go to "Program Files". Since the mod installer is 32-bit, it's supposed to have all its file operations sent to "Program Files (x86)" but maybe something is going wrong during this process.

The only catch is - if that was indeed the problem - then none of the mod installer's file operations should work. It wouldn't really make sense if some file operations worked fine, while others did not. (The only way I could account for something like that is if there was a bug in the actual installer creation program software itself.)

Yet, that's exactly what seems to be happening. Most people apparently have no problems at all, but a few are reporting the Light Cycles not being unlocked. Which means a certain file operation during the install isn't being executed correctly.
Maybe there's some way for you to make a "no-installer" distribution? Is it possible to make an archive file of all the custom folder content, etc? Such a thing may not only clear up this problem for me, but also potential users on other operating systems.
tronfaq wrote: Something easy you can try, is running the Mod Manager and changing the "New Light Cycles" option to the opposite of what you find when the program loads.
Yeah, if I do that at least the regular lightbikes are there.
tronfaq wrote: If that doesn't work, you can follow the instructions in this message post to unlock the Light Cycles. Though those instructions are for unlocking the old, normal colors. If you want the new colors, you'll have to use these lines instead.

Code: Select all

UnlockedLightCycleBikes0 = "LightCycle_CYAN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes1 = "SuperCycle_CYAN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes2 = "LightCycle_White"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes3 = "SuperCycle_WHITE"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes4 = "LightCycle_Raven"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes5 = "SuperCycle_BLACK"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes6 = "LightCycle_IronMan"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes7 = "SuperCycle_IronMan"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes8 = "LightCycle_Copper"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes9 = "SuperCycle_Copper"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes10 = "LightCycle_Ice"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes11 = "SuperCycle_Ice"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes12 = "LightCycle_Glass"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes13 = "SuperCycle_Glass"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes14 = "LightCycle_Prizm"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes15 = "SuperCycle_Prizm"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes16 = "LightCycle_Chrome"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes17 = "SuperCycle_Chrome"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes18 = "LightCycle_Gold"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes19 = "SuperCycle_Gold"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes20 = "LightCycle_Wraith"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes21 = "SuperCycle_Wraith"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes22 = "LightCycle_HALLOWEEN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes23 = "SuperCycle_HALLOWEEN"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes24 = "LightCycle_COLD"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes25 = "SuperCycle_COLD"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes26 = "LightCycle_HEAT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes27 = "SuperCycle_HEAT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes28 = "LightCycle_BLACKLIGHT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes29 = "SuperCycle_BLACKLIGHT"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes30 = "LightCycle_AMBER"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes31 = "SuperCycle_AMBER"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes32 = "LightCycle_MONOCHROME"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes33 = "SuperCycle_MONOCHROME"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes34 = "LightCycle_KILLERAPP"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes35 = "SuperCycle_KILLERAPP"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes36 = "LightCycle_XBOX"
UnlockedLightCycleBikes37 = "SuperCycle_XBOX"
Hmm now this part is a little confusing to me. I ended up with 2 files like this. player.txt AND _player.txt

If I delete _player.txt, I get an error but then the mod loads anyway. All bikes remain locked. The bikes that you have listed above are already in _player.txt for the custom bikes, they are just not loading. I also tried copying the contents of _player into player, and I get the same result. Only by loading the mod without custom lightbikes enabled allows me to have any unlocked bikes.
Jizaboz

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

Jizaboz wrote:Maybe there's some way for you to make a "no-installer" distribution? Is it possible to make an archive file of all the custom folder content, etc?
Afraid not. To make the mod work: registry entries need to be modified, files need to be edited or patched, and so on. Without an installer to automate all that, installing the mod would become far too complicated.

But based on what you told me, it actually sounds like the installer functioned correctly and did exactly what it was supposed to do. For instance, there should be both a Player.txt and _Player.txt file.

Can you try this for me:

Edit the Player.txt file, and replace the lines with the ones that unlock the new Light Cycle colors (not the old, original colors). After saving it, run the game with the mod enabled.

Go to the Single Player Light Cycle section, and look at the Light Cycle colors again. If you see "Blue 1 LOCKED" with a question mark, click the left arrow so you loop back to the end of the color selection. Do you see a "KMX XBOX" green Light Cycle?

If so: it's not that the Light Cycles are all locked, it's just that the new colors don't show up at the start of the list. You have to move through the list to see the new colors.

If that's the case, I can see how it can be confusing and lead people to think that the Light Cycles are all locked. I can change that in the next version of the mod, so that the first new color is already selected.
Jizaboz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jizaboz »

tronfaq wrote: Go to the Single Player Light Cycle section, and look at the Light Cycle colors again. If you see "Blue 1 LOCKED" with a question mark, click the left arrow so you loop back to the end of the color selection. Do you see a "KMX XBOX" green Light Cycle?

If so: it's not that the Light Cycles are all locked, it's just that the new colors don't show up at the start of the list. You have to move through the list to see the new colors.

If that's the case, I can see how it can be confusing and lead people to think that the Light Cycles are all locked. I can change that in the next version of the mod, so that the first new color is already selected.
... *smacks self in forehead*

There they are! lol Thank you, TronFAQ. Hopefully this will at least help someone in the future that gets confused like I did. ::::)
Jizaboz