TRON 2.0 on Mac OSX Leopard now possible

Don't you hate it when you don't know where to go? Or the game keeps crashing? Post your questions here!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

TRON 2.0 on Mac OSX Leopard now possible

Post by TronFAQ »

Some good news for Mac owners who want to play TRON 2.0 on Leopard or Snow Leopard. It's now possible to play the game that way, but there are certain conditions that have to be met.

It might even be possible now to use the Killer App Mod, User Error, and the Complete Map Pack on the Mac.

Read more here: http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2010/10/tro ... sible.html
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Re: TRON 2.0 on Mac OSX Leopard now possible

Post by deeahchur »

Even tho I no longer have a functioning Mac, that's awesome news!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

A fellow by the name of Kroc Camen put together a step-by-step guide on how to get the PC version of Tron 2.0 running on an Intel Mac using Leopard. Even using the Killer App Mod, no less. I suspected that the mods and maps would work using a wrapper (emulator), because we're using the PC version of the game here rather than the Mac version. This means Mac players will have no trouble playing against PC opponents online in Multiplayer, because they won't be missing out on the maps and mods.

He's using Wineskin, instead of CXZ which I wrote about a few months ago. Both CXZ and Wineskin are free. But I'd say Wineskin is the better solution, actually. Since CXZ is a bit difficult to obtain and use, while Wineskin is readily available.

I've also known about alternative solutions like VMWare Fusion, Parallels, Crossover Games, and of course Boot Camp. But they all cost money. I was only interested in promoting a free solution to running Tron 2.0 on Leopard. Though, unfortunately for most, they will have to buy Tron 2.0 again and get the PC version instead of the MacPlay version. That is, if they want to be honest and not pirate it.
Eval
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Post by Eval »

Hey Tronfaq,

just wanted to thank you and verify it works! I could only get it to install on Snow Leopard and not regular. It kinda sucks because upgrading to snow has messed with some other programs and plug-ins i use - but I must say it's great having 2.0 again. It seems like a ghost land on the grid, are there any nights where people get on again. It would be great to see some of the vets!

one quick thing, I'm having some mouse issues with wineskin... anyone else having this issue?

nic (eval)
pft... wasn't me!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Hey, Eval. Nice to see you again.

About the mouse issues. I think I remember reading that people using WINE on Linux reported the same problem. Since Wineskin is based on WINE, it makes a certain amount of sense that you'd encounter the same difficulty.

You might want to try visiting the site for WINE and see if anyone found a solution. Or you might even want to ask for help there. You could also try asking the person who wrote the guide to getting Tron 2.0 to work in Wineskin.

One of these days I might just go the "Hackintosh" route, and install the x86 version of OSX on a partition on my PC. I did try running the PowerPC version of OSX in emulation a long time ago to try the MacPlay version of Tron 2.0, for the fun of it. But the experience wasn't very good.

About servers and players. Well, people pretty much only seem to play on weekends. Which is why I only run LDSO servers on weekends instead of 24/7. Even then, there aren't many people playing any more. There was a spike around the time Legacy released in theaters, and then it trailed off.