TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Dead Space 2 PC shenanigans

Post by TronFAQ »

I was thinking about buying Dead Space 2 in the near future, but was on the fence about it. I enjoyed the first game, despite the idiotic decisions regarding limited SecuROM activations and not being able to remap some keyboard controls.

But now after seeing the fiasco unfold surrounding EA's handling of the PC version, I'm going to hold off until they come clean and stop treating people who want the PC version as lepers. Not only did they have the cheek this time to charge the same price as the console versions, they flat-out refused to give us any of the DLC the console versions would be getting.

But then this happened.

All the DLC content is already there in the PC version, on the disc or in the Steam download! So it's a case of: 1) the port job done was so lazy, that they couldn't even be bothered to remove the extra content despite it being unused in the game. 2) EA planned to eventually "change their minds" later and charge us. 3) A sympathetic developer who worked on the PC version snuck in this content, hoping people would unlock it.

No matter what the case may be, EA deliberately withheld content that was already there in the game you paid for. And they weren't even giving you the option to buy it; they simply refused to let you have it at all. Absolutely despicable.

So let's see how EA reacts to this. Looks like they might be forced to release DLC for the PC, after all. Maybe then I'll consider buying it. But it shouldn't take people resorting to hacking the game to get EA to treat people who buy the PC version the same as everyone else.
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Re: Dead Space 2 PC shenanigans

Post by win3k »

Morning chaps
Not only did they have the cheek this time to charge the same price as the console versions
I pre-ordered, and got it on release day for £24.99 (about $40) all in. Compare and contrast with the $50 it cost me to get Tron Evo (which sucks balls), which I still can't purchase in the UK, and we can see what a load of nonsense release schedules and pricing are.
All the DLC content is already there in the PC version, on the disc or in the Steam download
Typical. See also: Bioshock Editor Splash Screen. I rather think that the gold master is getting made too quickly these days, and stuff is getting included by default, rather than by design. In this case, however, I'm minded to think that this additional content was intended for subsequent release (at a cost, natch) to the PC customer base in much the same way that Bioshock 2 DLC is now (apparently) back on the agenda.
Maybe then I'll consider buying it
Entirely agree with the sentiment, but (IMHO), DS2 is a really bloody good game. YMMV.

win3k
ldso://win3k - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

EA/Visceral have released a patch for the retail version of Dead Space 2, with a Steam version of the patch coming shortly.

It apparently fixes most of the complaints people had (including being able to remap all the keys on the keyboard to whatever you want), and they've unlocked almost all the DLC. So PC players now get it for free. (Well, except for the extra "Severed" levels which are not out yet. We still don't know if that's coming to PC or not.)

However, there are what's known as the "conduit rooms" that are still locked on the PC. Even with the patch. Console owners had to buy another DLC before the game was released, to be able to get into these rooms. But someone has provided a way to unlock the conduit rooms on the PC version.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bjkk9afqj4zvf6f

Download the above file, and follow the instructions about placing the .DAT file in your Dead Space 2 folder. You'll now be able to open the rooms. (The saved game file isn't necessary, ignore it.)

For some reason, the patch wasn't released as an installer. It's just the game executable. So you have to replace the existing exectuable in the DS2 folder. Seems they were too cheap/lazy to create an installer.

I've been reading that you have to start a new game to avoid any potential glitches. Previous saved games don't always work properly. And apparently you may have to reset the controls back to the defaults in order to be able to remap them.

With the release of the patch and the price of DS2 down to $40, I'm now considering buying the game. I couldn't buy it in good conscience before, when they were deliberately screwing over the PC fanbase.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I ended up buying Dead Space 2, based on win3k's praise of it and the fact that EA released a patch. It helps that the price went down, too. :D I also had a $30 credit at Amazon.com, so I'll be getting the game for cheap at $20 ($10 after credit, plus $10 shipping).

If it wasn't for the credit, I would have considered getting it from Amazon.ca instead. But despite the fact that Amazon.ca sent me a preorder notice for DS2 PC months ago, they ended up not carrying the PC version. AGAIN. It was the same with Tron Evolution. They're selling the console versions, but not the PC versions. Goddamn pricks.

I shouldn't have to order from the U.S. to get the PC version of a game. But with the favorable exchange rate between the U.S. and Canadian dollar, it's actually cheaper for me to buy from the U.S. right now. Even if I didn't have credit, and had to pay full price with shipping. Insane, or what?