Mike89
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Any mods for NOLF to play 16x9?

Post by Mike89 »

I un-installed NOLF awhile back when I got my 16x9 (1920x1080) monitor cause I couldn't play it in the monitor's native resolution (widescreen). I recently read a bunch on the Widescreen Gaming Forum and there are references to a mod but no working links (all links I find go to white pages with nothing there). I'd love to replay this game in 16x9 if it can be done. On the widescreen forum, there are posts by "redrain85" about NOLF (and of course Tron 2). I assume that's one of the guys here?

Anyway I just can't seem to get anywhere trying to find out (and obtain) a way to play NOLF in 16x9. Any info you widescreen guru's can shed on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Any mods for NOLF to play 16x9?

Post by TronFAQ »

Yeah, that's me posting over on WSGF. I was planning to eventually do a proper widescreen mod, for NOLF 1 at least, after I did some more work on the Killer App Mod. I'd already gotten NOLF 1 working in 16:9 some time ago, but wanted to take some extra steps to fix cutscenes and the user interface.

There was a widescreen mod released by someone named URA a long time ago, but it only provided 16:10 widescreen and didn't fix the cutscenes/menus.

Now there's someone else who came up with a mod. You can read about it here on WSGF. I don't know how well it works. From what I understand, it works in both 16:9 and 16:10. But I don't think it fixes the user interface or cutscenes, either. Plus, the widescreen implementation is Vert- which I personally don't agree with. Despite the increased "fisheye" effect he should have made it Hor+ like I did.

When I say the cutscenes and user interface "aren't fixed", what I mean by that is: 1) Because of the increased view area on the sides of the screen: you'll either see characters during cutscenes that were meant to be hidden, or they'll disappear off the screen before they reach the edge when they walk away. 2) The user interface will be a bit messed up, and a lot of the HUD and icons will be really small in widescreen.

I'm hoping the guy developing the new mod will eventually fix all those things I just mentioned. I know he says the HUD is "proper" in his mod, but based on the screenshots provided I would disagree. The interface isn't scaling up in size with the higher widescreen resolutions. Just the opposite.
Mike89
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Mike89 »

Well based on how well your Tron 2 mod works, I hope you get around to doing it for NOLF. Both are classic games and still fun to play. In the meantime I'm going to install NOLF again and give that NOLFdll.rez a try to see if I can hang with it. At the present time I really have no choice, it's either not play or play with that.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I took a look at that NOLF 1 mod. I see he's made it so that both cutscenes and gameplay are Vert-. It can be used to solve the problem of seeing hidden characters during cutscenes, sure enough. But it also means the cutscenes are zoomed in and extra scenery you should be seeing is cut off.

Same goes for gameplay, the extra visibilty at the sides (and even top and bottom) you should be getting in widescreen is removed. The HUD/menus are also not properly fixed, and the weapons in your POV are still stretched.

I hope he changes his mind and makes the mod Hor+ instead. Even though it means more work, to fix all the new issues that will result from keeping the screen Hor+ all the time.
Mike89
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Mike89 »

I hope he changes his mind and makes the mod Hor+ instead. Even though it means more work, to fix all the new issues that will result from keeping the screen Hor+ all the time.
Nope, I think you are just going to have to do it right dude! Heh heh.

I installed the game again and am playing with that mod. I see what you mean. Widescreen without really being widescreen. I don't' like the cutscenes, parts are cut off (like the tops of heads, etc). Weapons also look kind of weird being stretched out a little. Better than nothing but I'd sure like to play it with the similarity of your Tron 2 Mod. Well keep the thought in your head about possibly doing it. You're probably the ONLY one that would do it right (or do it at all besides this one).
Mike89
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Mike89 »

Man there is a lot to this. I read your guide on the widescreen forum. Understood parts but that's about it. Just for the hell of it I took this from the guide and put it in the autoexec just to see what would happen.

"fovx" "106"
"fovxinterface" "106"
"fovyuwmax" "124"

I then took the mod rez command out of advanced options and fired up the game. Sure enough, got widescreen....... with some twitches. It was actually a wider view (could see more width wise) than the mod but parts were noticeable stretched. Characters looks fine, but circles became ovals, weapons were even more stretched out than in the mod, scope view was weird, scuba mask view was weird. Cutscenes no longer cut the heads off the characters (even though I wish the cutscenes would play full screen instead of black bars on top and bottom which also happens with the mod). Menus got wacho with visual anomalies.

Well there was my feeble attempt at widescreen hacking!!!! I actually liked being able to see wider in the scene but everything else was too messed up so I went back with the mod.

Looks like the only option we currently have is that mod which leaves much to be desired. Seems like what the guy did was to make the view fit the widescreen with the same view side to side as 4:3 and cut off some height.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Yeah, that stuff you put in is only the tip of the iceberg. It's quick and easy, but only gets you about half of the way there. There's still a lot more work involved in getting everything to look right and work properly.

There isn't any simple solution, I'm afraid. It's going to require a mod, and a lot of work put into it. I'm waiting to see what that other fellow comes up with.