Deus Ex: Human Revolution, who's getting it?

Area for Non-Tron related gaming.
Playing something new?
Post it here!!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, who's getting it?

Post by TronFAQ »

Well, I waited until the last minute to pick this up. Ignoring the usual big game review sites and instead focusing on the lesser-known or European sites, feedback from people who played the leaked press-release version, the apparent focus on the PC version by Eidos (they even sent the PC version to the press unless specifically requested otherwise), and a $10 pre-order credit at Amazon finally convinced me to get Deus Ex: HR.

I would have gone for the Limited/Augmented/Collector's Editions if they weren't so damned expensive and/or hard to get. For example, the CE is only available in the UK for some reason. Importing it would have cost way too much for me. So I opted for the standard version. Though Amazon throws in a couple of additional in-game weapons as a bonus.

Frankly, the whole situation with all the different editions of the games and different bonuses is a bit sickening. I would have preferred the additional mission as a bonus, but I can only get that if I pre-order from Gamestop. And I made myself a promise I would never buy from Gamestop again unless I absolutely had no other choice, due to the way they usually screw over people who want to buy PC versions of games.

Of course, I fully expect all the in-game bonuses of the various editions of DX: HR will become available to everyone later. For a price. DLC, anyone?

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait at least a few days because I ordered from Amazon in the U.S. Their estimate states the earliest I could get the game is September 6th, two weeks from now. But they said the same thing last time when I ordered Dead Space 2 from them, and it took less than one week to arrive. I could have bought DX: HR on Steam - and ironically, it's a Steamworks title - but I still prefer owning physical copies of my game purchases.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, who's getting it?

Post by TronFAQ »

I received my copy of the game today. Though it comes in a standard Amaray DVD case like most releases now, it does have a cardboard slipcover with some foil artwork. Nice touch.

Even though I bought the standard version of the game, Amazon had a promotion where you received a code for the Tactical Enhancement Pack DLC. But due to an error on the part of Square Enix, some copies didn't come with the code. So Amazon sent out additional codes to everyone "just in case". This meant that, if the code was in the case, you'd end up with an extra code. This is what happened to me.

I was able to trade my extra code for an Explosive Mission Pack code. The second DLC that was supposed to be a Gamestop pre-order exclusive in North America. So I have all the DLC now. And I'm glad I didn't have to buy DX:HR at Gamestop to get it. This retailer exclusive bonus crap - stripping out pieces of the game to get you to buy it from a specific store chain - is criminal.

I've only played it for a few hours, and I'm still on the first mission. There are a few small things I don't like, so far. But on the whole, it's looking pretty good. The "it's worthy of the Deus Ex name" chatter that's going on out there seems to be correct.

Some people are still bitching about the PC version. Yes, it's a bit buggy and not flawless. But I do wish they'd shut their whiny traps and be a little more grateful to Square/Eidos/Nixxes. The PC version is almost perfect, and it's already had two patches in less than a week.

I haven't seen a PC port done this well in YEARS. Nixxes really went to town with adding all the little touches: like being able to use the mouse scroll wheel at all times for various functions, being able to map ALL the mouse buttons, quick saves, DX11 and tesselation, some textures replaced with higher resolution versions versus the consoles, and more.

Whenever I finish it, I'll write up a review. But so far, it's looking like it will be a great game.