TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Anyone gotten games for a steal lately?

Post by TronFAQ »

Just wondering if anyone has gotten any really good deals on games that they've picked up lately?

If so: what are they, and do you think they were only worth the bargain bin price you paid for them? Perhaps they were better than you thought they would be? And you feel a bit guilty for picking them up cheaply? Or do you still believe you wasted your money?

In my case - long story short - I recently earned a $50 credit at Amazon, so I decided to grab some titles I didn't pick up at release. I bought STALKER: Call of Pripyat, STALKER: Clear Sky, and Bioshock 2. Even after the cost of the games themselves and shipping, I still have $7 credit left over. So, I'm essentially getting these games for free.

In the case of Pripyat, I feel a bit guilty for not buying it earlier. I've heard it's very good.

For Clear Sky, I'm not sure. I'd heard about how, at release, it was nearly unplayable. And that it's not as good as the other two STALKER titles. So it was probably not worth buying at release.

For Bioshock 2 . . . this one is easy. I knew even before release that it wasn't going to be worth buying at full price. I decided to wait until it hit rock bottom. I've ended up buying a retail copy for $3.88 before shipping. It doesn't get much lower than that!
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Re: Anyone gotten games for a steal lately?

Post by win3k »

Morning chaps

Not sure how much these were originally, but I've had the following from Steam at (what seems like) knockdown prices

Torchlight: £2.59
Amnesia: Dark Descent £6.49
Ubisoft weekend deal pack: £9.99

Of these, Torchlight was (sort of) fun for a couple of hours, but dungeon crawler RPGs aren't really my thing, so meh.

Amnesia was OK-ish. I was expecting a more subtle (yet scary) experience then I actually got. Still worth more than I paid for it.

The Ubisoft deal (yes, yes, nasty Ubisoft, bad DRM etc) was so-so value, imho. The pack included Assassin’s Creed: Director’s Cut Edition, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Far Cry 2: Fortune Edition and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, so you're probably looking at somewhere north of £100 all in at launch. So far, I've completed Call of Juarez (not a bad bit of shooterarge) but got very, very bored of both AC (talk about repetition) and FC2 (stupid AI is stupid).

Meanwhile, Dead Island is shown as "Ready to play". Brains, amirite?

win3k
ldso://win3k - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Yeah, Amnesia was a bit disappointing. Still good, but hardly as scary as everyone made it out to be. But it's worlds better than most of the crap being released today. And at the price you paid, it was definitely a bargain.

Ugh, Ubisoft. Let's not even get started about those douchebags. The sad part is, some of their games actually look pretty decent. But their customer relations, at least on the PC side of things, probably even outdoes Disney for sheer awfulness.

I have the first Call of Juarez game, but have yet to play it. Same for Far Cry 2. I got CoJ for free with my previous ATI card. For FC2, I bought that from Gamestop because it was supposed to have come with extras in the collector's edition. But Gamestop (here in Canada, at least) screwed over PC customers and didn't get the collector's edition. They had the console CEs, but not for the PC. It was after that I decided never to buy anything from Gamestop again. (Well, it was actually an EB Games. But same difference since Gamestop owns them.)

So CoJ being bad or good doesn't matter to me one way or the other. But after reading reviews of FC2, and paying for the collector's edition but not getting it, I feel like I was completely ripped off.

Dead Island looks like it could be fun. But Deep Silver and/or Techland completely botched the game's release on the PC, didn't they? Supposedly they're going to release a fixed version today.
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by win3k »

Evening chaps
Meanwhile, Dead Island is shown as "Ready to play". Brains, amirite?
Utter, utter dogwaste. What a total load of old bollocks this game is. Just don't bother, and certainly don't waste your hard earned on this pile of crap.

Everything about this game is just plain stupid - from the quests ("Rescue ma teddy!") to the totally stupid weapon degradation system ("You see that crow bar? The one you used to demolish an entire house? Don't hit the zombies with it, 'cause it'll dissolve").

This game<ctrl h><ctrl h><ctrl h><ctrl h> ordeal by fire is utter crap, and is comprehensively outplayed by Left4Dead et seq. The basic premise is fine, and just slightly innovative, but the main game is just such a complete abortion that this reviewer cannot believe it ever made it to gold. So much of the game is broken, with rubbish quest signposting, difficulty spikes that'll make your eyes bleed, dialogue that'll make your testes swivel and much else besides. Another 6 months in QA? Maybe. But it it's current form, avoid this septic ulcer like the plague.

win3k
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

I'm looking for ANY modern multiplayer good game that's original regardless of price. What's the best that's come out in the last 3 years??
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Sorry to hear Dead Island was a complete waste of money, win3k. Have you heard about how the publisher is delaying DLC, because of all the complaints about how rubbish the game itself is? Looks like Deep Silver is going to force Techland to fix up the game.

The problem is: first impressions mean everything. Even if they polish up the game to a decent standard, the damage is done. That's why the "publish now, fix it later" mentality that's pervading the industry is also helping to kill it.

As for a good multiplayer game, Daddyo: can't really help there, unfortunately. I tend to avoid MP only games, or skip the MP mode of a game that offers both SP and MP. Playing MP was taking up too much of my time, so I stopped.
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by win3k »

Evening chaps
I'm looking for ANY modern multiplayer good game that's original regardless of price. What's the best that's come out in the last 3 years??
Like tronfaq, I'm not much into MP games these days (I haven't played any serious MP since Tron 2.0 had numerous full servers, and that should tell you all you need to know).

That said, Left4Dead and Left4Dead2 present a good choice. On the occasions that I do play, I find the co-op campaigns to be the most fun (although the seriously competitive players tend to go for the versus mode, which I just can't get on with).

If you can find the right partner, may I point you towards Portal 2's co-op, which can be a real blast, but - as with most co-op games - if you and your partner don't see eye to eye, expect lots of "lol n00b u r teh suxxor" encouraging commentary.

Finally, Tron: Evolution. I'm kidding, of course.

win3k
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Thanks for the possibilities, co-op campaigns are exactly what i'm looking for. I miss the Hexen & Duke-Nukem co-op that I don't think exists anymore (?) where you work through levels together over long periods. I'll give em all a try.