deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

SWTOR

Post by deeahchur »

Is anyone else here playing in The Old Republic?

I'm on the Ven Zallow server.

ImageREPUBLICImage

Guildmaster of Five-zee Initiative
  • - Jedi Consular/Sage: Jeth
    - Trooper/Commando: Jhoran-dur
    - Smuggler/Gunslinger: Ravenstar
    - Jedi Knight/Sentinel: Seth'dorenn
ImageEMPIREImage

Guildmaster of Malicious Intentions
  • - Bounty Hunter/Mercenary: Aret'uren'pedra
    - Inquisitor/Sorcerer: Ta'lorn
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Re: SWTOR

Post by TronFAQ »

Much as I enjoyed the previous KOTOR games, I haven't bothered with SWTOR. The reasons being: 1) Companies are requiring games to have online connectivity purely out of motive for profit, not because it makes a better game. Which leads to: 2) I refuse to pay a monthly subscription to play a game. Pay to play is something I will always avoid. Which is why I also avoid "Free to play" games, because they are really pay to play.

It sucks, because I'm missing out on a game I would otherwise probably enjoy. If SWTOR had been Single Player (i.e. KOTOR 3), I would have been all over it. But I'm not going to compromise my principles, even if it's for a Star Wars game. (Though, honestly, a lot of the recent Star Wars games have been rubbish anyway. SWTOR is probably one of the few exceptions.)
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Re: SWTOR

Post by deeahchur »

Some vast differences b/w KOTOR and SWTOR can be seen in the way abilities and powers are implemented. In KOTOR, there was some semblance of D&D 3.5/Star Wars RPG Revised Ruleset used, and that allowed for a diverse and varied ability/power set, enabling use of Light, Neutral, and Dark side powers. In SWTOR, you're Jedi or Sith (if you're playing a Force User), or Empire or Republic, and the abilities you acquire are purely determined by the class and advanced class you choose. The latter is good for some things and absolutely terrible for others. While it is possible to play a Jedi and make Dark Side conversation choices, thus exhibiting potential DS corruption, you do not get to be a true dark Jedi with access to DS powers.

Currently the space combat aspect is a rail shooter, instead of the flexibility presented in Battlefront II. There are logistical loading issues I expect for this lack of openness, but it is a shame the Devs did not work out this kink. Weapons include blasters, missiles, and proton torpedos. No multiplayer space combat, even with a party made and then heading into space combat, at least not from what I have seen or heard. Even so, space combat is still fun and is somewhat similar to the Gummi Ship combat in Kingdom Hearts.

Of course, as early as this game is, despite having a solid amount of time for Beta testing, there are quite a few bugs that still require some tweaking or outright correcting. I do not hold this against the game or the Devs (unlike the massive flares from other players you can see in the forums). I own a system that will run the game decently, so I'm happy with that. The scenery is still beautiful, though from working in DEdit, I certainly have had more than a few times of seeing copy and paste, turn 90 degrees, and done.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."