TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Humble Indie Bundle

Post by TronFAQ »

Anyone ever bought a Humble Indie Bundle (or one of the copycat bundles like Indie Royale) before?

I bought one for the first time, this past weekend. Up until now, the bundles usually included at least one game I already had. Or, a lot of the games simply didn't interest me. This time, though, the latest bundle had three titles that I was interested in. So, I took the plunge.

All the games were digital download only titles to begin with, so buying it this way presented the best value for money. Pay what you want. If you pay more than the average, you get an extra game. I like the fact that you have a say in exactly how your money is divided between the various developers, charities, and the Humble Indie Bundle organization itself.

As it turned out, after playing all 6 titles, I found I enjoyed another one of them. So that's 4 out of the 6, where I ended up that I felt they were worth getting. (Vessel, Rochard, Dustforce, and now Shatter.)

After buying the bundle, you're given access to DRM free versions for download as well as keys for Steam versions of the games. They also have soundtrack downloads for most of the titles.

All in all, it's a nice deal and well worth getting. As long as you don't already have one or more of the games in your library. And, in the end, buying the bundle was far cheaper than buying only the ones that interested me. Even if it means I'm "stuck" with a couple of games I didn't want.

The latest Humble Bundle runs for another week. As long as you pay above the average of about $6, you'll get all 6 games.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Re: Humble Indie Bundle

Post by TronFAQ »

I don't know if they've done this before, but with one week remaining they added another 4 games to the bundle. So now you pay what you want for 10 games. Well, not quite . . . you have to pay more than the average to get all 10, with the average being a little over $6 now.

As it turns out, I got access to the additional 4 games even though I bought the bundle before they added them. Which is only fair. But if I'd known they were doing this, I would have paid a bit more.

Of the added games, only one of them was one I also wanted to add to my collection. (Bit Trip Runner.) So that's 5 out of the 10 titles I'm interested in. It's still cheaper than buying the games individually, so I can't complain. Even though I'll probably never play half the games.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

There's a new Bundle that just came out. This time it's the Humble THQ Bundle. THQ is hurting right now, and may go out of business. It seems they're desperate to raise some quick cash.

So they've arranged for a bundle of several of their games at an insane discount. You can pay as little as you want - starting at $1 - for 6 games. Which include Darksiders (not Darksiders II), Metro 2033, Red Faction Armageddon, and three Company of Heroes games. Saints Row the Third can be had if you pay more than the average, which is about $5.50 right now at the beginning of the sale. These are downloaded through Steam.

This is a ridiculous deal. Saints Row and Metro alone are worth more than just a few bucks. I'm very tempted to grab this, even though I prefer having physical copies of games. But the price is too good to pass up. In fact, I just bought the bundle. !YES! (YES)
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

Hello, guys!

I was talking to Layer about the THQ Humble Bundle last night and decided to stop by and make sure everyone else knew about it.

It's too ridiculous to pass up. You probably spent a lot more than one dollar for worse games...and I encourage people to pay slightly above the average donation (not just for Saints Row 3, but the money goes to a charity that I have seen in action during the many hospital stays that my youngest son has had in the past few years).

Metro 2033 looks really nice, Company of Heroes is a pretty decent RTS game set in WWII, haven't tried Darksiders yet, and Red Faction lets you decimate entire buildings with one blast of your gun.

Worth a buck.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

THQ is doing a promotion where they're giving away Metro 2033, if you like a page of theirs on Facebook. You'll then get instructions on how to download the game and add it to your Steam game library for free.

http://thq.me/g1jBt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you don't want to go through the hassle on Facebook, I've got a key that I'll give away. I already have Metro 2033 from the Humble Bundle, so I don't need it. Send me a private message here on the LDSO forum and I'll give you the key and instructions.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Now GOG.com is getting in on the act, giving away Duke Nukem 3D for free. The only catch is that you have to sign up for an account at GOG.com, if you don't have one already.

It's the Atomic Edition with extra levels, BTW. (Not the first, original release of DN3D with fewer levels.) This has been modified to work with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.

http://j.mp/DukeNukem3D_FREE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll have to hurry, though. Because this offer only lasts until December 14th, 2012.

Of course, this is the classic version still using 2D sprites for the enemies. So if you want to play it the way you remember, out of nostalgia, then there's nothing else that needs to be done.

But what could be interesting about this, is that you might be able to take the .GRP files from this and use them with eDuke32. Which would upgrade everything to fully 3D and add new features. Then add the HD texture pack to go with it. Which would bring it up to near-modern standards and almost be like a whole new game.

http://eduke32.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;