TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

System Shock 2 now on GOG.com

Post by TronFAQ »

I already knew about this a few days ago, back when it was still a rumour. But now it's official. GOG.com is selling System Shock 2 for about $10.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SS2 is my favorite game of all-time. Yes *gasp* Tron 2.0 is not my number one game. It's not even number two. That's reserved for Deus Ex 1. It has to settle for number three. !NO! (NO) T-O

If you've never played SS2 before, now is the time. Though, be aware, that there are many additional fan-made patches that can be applied to the GOG release to make it that much better. As-is, you're not getting the best experience. There are also additional expansions/missions. They're all available from the systemshock.org site. But it's getting hammered by tons of users today, so you'll probably have to wait until things settle down before you can download anything.

http://www.systemshock.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something interesting to note. There's a bit of controversy brewing. Apparently, some fan-made patches were used to update the GOG version, to enhance it and make it playable on modern systems. But Night Dive/GOG did not give any credit to the fans. In fact, they were claiming the fixes they made to the game were their own work.

This isn't going to stop me from picking up the GOG release. (Just to support future System Shock content, not because I need it.) But I do hope they come clean about using community made fixes. They have acknowledged using fan-made content in the past, but this time they didn't for some reason.

I know that - if Tron 2.0 shows up on GOG some day, and they use materials from the fan community without acknowledging it again - I would get pretty annoyed.
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Re: System Shock 2 now on GOG.com

Post by Meatsack »

I'm right there with ya, FAQ. I''m feeling lazy about now, so I'm copying my post from a FARK message thread:

Captain Meatsack: OK. Back to System Shock 2. I bought it off GOG last night and played until 2 AM. It still has it where it counts. Plenty of creepiness. The amazing thing is that it just goes to show that graphics are where all the bloat is in the size of games nowadays. For SS2, the installer is just 362MB. The whole installation is just 709MB. Saves and loads are near instantaneous on today's hardware. I'm really enjoying this!

\A damn sight faster than my Pentium 266 back in the day!

I also missed out on the multiplayer the first time around and didn't go looking for the fan stuff since internet was relatively new, slow dialup service, etc in 1999. I'll check out the fansite and probably start my game over sometime today.

Seriously though, it's the greatest PC game ever made... so far.
This space intentionally left blank.