Area for Non-Tron related gaming.
Playing something new?
Post it here!!
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

DEFCON

Post by Avi »

I've been having the demo for a while, but I just found the game for six bucks at Big Lots:

DL it here:
www.everybody-dies.com

It's like playing chess, but with nuclear subs instead of Knights. Pretty cool, if you like strategy.
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

It's Global Thermonuclear War, and nobody wins.
But maybe - just maybe - you can lose the least.
Best line ever.
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

Some of you will recognize the screenshots from the game Matthew Broderick plays in the movie "War Games" (a cool 80's movie about a computer hacker and a game that may or may not be real, for those of you that don't know).

The entire game takes place on the giant global map that the government uses to keep track of the nukes as they're flying towards the U.S. It is very simple, but extremely challenging and a pretty intense experience when the situation finally reaches Defcon 1...then, everybody dies.

A game can take from 15 minutes to 24 hours, depending on the settings. I'd like to start a round on a Sunday morning and check up on it during the course of the day...then, launch the nukes right after I eat dinner. :-)
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

I would mind playing with/against you, but as a demo holder it can only be you vs. me.
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

There's a mod that lets you play as brains instead of countries...so it's like a real battle of the minds!

My favorite 2 mods are Satcom (I think that's what it is called), and the one that makes the game look just like the screen from the movie "War Games". The Satcom mod gives the countries real color as if viewed from space instead of just the default dark blue colors. It even colors the polar caps and the oceans, so it appears as if you're watching the war from high above the planet. The other mod is loaded with retro cool because it makes you feel like you're playing the movie.

I thought that some people here would like it, since the movie the game is based on is from around the same era as Tron. I'm sure there are some other nostalgic types like myself that enjoyed War Games as a young'un.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

OMG! I just watched some vids and it looked awesome! Attempting download... :-)
http://timewastergames.blogspot.com

Timewaster Games = teh w00t :D
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

:-( *Sobs* :-(

Runs waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow on my pc.

It took 5 minutes to simply load the tutorial!

I really need a new computer. :sad:
Donate money to the "Buy TRON.dll a new computer" fund. Just call 1-800... :lol:

Seriously, though, we've been using this peice of crap since 1998! Here's some specs for you to geek out on:

RAM: Approx. 300 MB
HardDrive: Approx. 15-20 GB (Originally)
Graphix Card: 64MB NVidia card

That's the basics (And about all we've changed since we got the thing).

That's why TronFAQ was so surprised KillerApp ran fine on my machine, I don't blame him!

Anyways, any word on a console version? That'd be great, since there's no other way I can play what is possibly the greatest strategy game of all time. :)

Guess it's time to buy a new computer. :lol:

Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

No consoles...this company only makes software games that you usually just DL from the site for 20 bucks. They also came out with Darwinia, which is a pretty cool little game also.

I put it on my laptop that has a little under a half Gig of RAM and a Pentium 4 processor, and it ran like crap too. I guess it was playable, but it took the cursor about 5 seconds to catch up to your movements...which to me, is UNplayable.

I think it might be better with more RAM, depending on your processor speed. The graphics card shouldn't be an issue, since there's not much graphics to this game.

I think some Tron Squad action in Defcon would be cool...each person could be a different country.
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

I wouldn't mind jumping in. You know the pattern on the Authenticating Key, though? Like a certain letter and 4 Numbers, repeat, etc etc.

I might try to guess a key up. xD
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

Jeez, good luck with that.

If there was a Big Lots store near you, you could probably pick up a copy for the price of lunch like I did.

The chances of you "guessing" an authentication key is pretty slim, but I'll give you a sporting chance and start you on the right foot.

Here's what it looks like:

ABCDEF-ABCDEF-ABCDEF-ABCDEF-ABC

If you nail it, I'll let you pick my lottery numbers this weekend.
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

I joined a Defcon game last night, and a player named Tron joined the game. I figured it was one of you guys, so I started talking to him...and then quickly realized that he has nothing to do with the Tron community at all. Come to find out, he just happens to like the name. Coincidence, right?

Anyway, he picks Russia, I take all of the southern Asian countries, and a 3rd opponent picks South America. Tron requests to be an ally of mine (which will allow both of us to see what is on each other's radars), so I say okay. It's all of Asia against South America. Time for a major ass kicking, right?

WRONG! South America successfully defended itself against almost all nuclear attacks, and still had the strength to launch a full scale nuclear attack against myself and my ally. Russia, China, and India looked like a Lite Brite before it was all over with all of the detonations going on. At one point, I noticed a fleet in the Pacific that was loaded with nuclear subs, so I launched a nuke on them...only to realize that it was Tron's fleet waiting to move in on Central America. He quickly broke our alliance, but after explaining what happened, he joined me again...but only after I launched more nukes on his cities in a preemptive move against what I thought would surely be an oncoming attack. I was wrong. After I killed a few million of his people, he says "You know, you can disarm a nuke after you launch it". D'oh!

We staggered along, depleting our collective nuclear arsenal while South America pulled more and more surprises from it's hidden missile silos. Final score: South America, 220. Russia/Southern Asia, -50 combined (Yes, that's a NEGATIVE 50).

I guess I'm not ready to take over the world after all.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

Wow, that sure sounds like fun. Time to buy a new computer. :lol:

SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

xD Maybe you should stick with Chess for a while, Avi. I know I will.
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

SweatyPyro wrote:xD Maybe you should stick with Chess for a while, Avi. I know I will.
Nah, this is a lot of fun. I even like joining games just to spectate and take notes. I'll spec a round, and then play a round using any new tactics that I picked up from watching other players.

One thing that I realized is that Russia ALWAYS gets nuked from right above their heads. They never expect subs to make their way into the waters of the Arctic north for some reason...then when all hell is breaking loose, launches are detected from right off their northern coast. It always takes them by surprise.

It always helps to have knowledge of the world when playing Defcon also. When your ally informs you of "Subs in the Mediterranean", you had better know where exactly where he's talking about. I realized that I would have been screwed if I didn't know my world maps. It also helps to know the general locations of major cities of the world. You should know Cairo from Brazil, Moscow from Sicily, etc. Those cities have the most people in them, so they are pretty valuable targets when trying to decimate the population of other countries.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

For those interested:

DEFCON System Requirements:

Pentium 3 Processor, 600 MHz, 128 MiB RAM, GeForce2 video card, 60 MiB HD, internet connection (for multiplayer games)

Copy/Pasted from Wikipedia. MiB means Megabyte, right?