You also can have the awesomeness of?

Area for Non-Tron related gaming.
Playing something new?
Post it here!!
cryogen4000

You also can have the awesomeness of?

Post by cryogen4000 »

Unreal editor 4.0 Yes! thats rigth! the UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is now free to download///and i would suggest everyone give it a go! i have a long history with the unreal engine i really cant recommend it enuff!! its by far my most favorite of all development tool sets :D :D second to UEd for myself is crytek sandbox editor another great tool set***thought i dont think anything could steal me away form unreal totally :arrow:

http://www.udk.com/download.html
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: You also can have the awesomeness of?

Post by TronFAQ »

I'll probably download this, eventually. If the next Tron game uses the Unreal engine like I believe it will, then I'll probably want to get into editing and modding for that game too.

That is, provided Disney doesn't make it near impossible to do so. By not releasing any editing content. Or even worse, not releasing a PC version of the game.

Or, worse still, making a bad PC version of the game. I'm sick of most of these game publishers giving PC gamers second class treatment. But I see a ray of hope on the horizon. Windows 7 and DirectX 11 seem to be getting the developers interested in the PC again.

Like Windows 7 or not, it's had a very successful launch and is helping to sell new, more up to date PCs that can handle the latest games better. Graphics card sales have gone way up recently. So that sounds like good news to me. :D
cryogen4000

Post by cryogen4000 »

tronfaq wrote:If the next Tron game uses the Unreal engine like I believe it will, then I'll probably want to get into editing and modding for that game too.

That is, provided Disney doesn't make it near impossible to do so. By not releasing any editing content.
You got nothing to worry about! :D if they do build the next tron game under the unreal engine and even if they strip out the editor you will be able to still mod for it easy!! or! just release it on ps3 or consoles makes not one bit of difference 8-) all the content was build with the same engine and the cool thing about UT3 editor you can build a mod/map/model on your pc and use it i your ps3 UT3 game so works both ways (a simplified explanation but i think you get the idea) also just look at mirror's edge for example! dice tried that approach and did that stop people within the modding community including myself making maps and custom content NO!!! yeah! i have to laugh out load at the prospect of disney making the next tron game under UT3///nothing they could do will stop me or other veteran Unreal fanboys for modding it! extracting its content! and just having our way with it lol!! i will keep my fingers crossed that disney makes that smart move to unreal (add very evil sinister laugh here) :arrow:
Unreal_fanboy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Yeah, my understanding is that in the case of the Unreal map format: the versions of the maps actually used by the retail version of an Unreal engine game can be edited. There's no distinction between source and compiled. You can open a map used by the game in the Unreal editor, no problem. Unlike most game engines.

Then there are tons of other benefits. Like the same assets working on multiple platforms, a wealth of tools and documentation, and much more.

The only problem with all of this, is when a developer takes the Unreal engine and heavily modifies it. So that it, essentially, becomes proprietary. This is what happened with Bioshock, for example. You can't open the maps in the Unreal editor. You need the version of the editor that the Bioshock team created. That's why you never saw any maps or mods for Bioshock. (That, and the Securom DRM also prevented modifications.)

The same thing could happen with the next Tron game.

I'm sure that a lot of things could still be modified even if that's what happens. But it will make creating maps and mods more difficult. Again, if it happens. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Have to wait and see.
cryogen4000

Post by cryogen4000 »

tronfaq wrote:The only problem with all of this, is when a developer takes the Unreal engine and heavily modifies it. So that it, essentially, becomes proprietary. This is what happened with Bioshock, for example. You can't open the maps in the Unreal editor. You need the version of the editor that the Bioshock team created. That's why you never saw any maps or mods for Bioshock. (That, and the Securom DRM also prevented modifications.)
Yes! totally valid points! though there are a lot of utilities built by some very smart people that get around all these problems///i think the biggest threat would be if they (Disney) make it illegal to even attempt to alter the content and again the developer dice behind mirror's edge modified the editor and stripped it out! but it was easy to rebuild and by doing/using various methods and utilities you can get the content to work in UT3/UDK also! i would assume if bioshock 2 had been more popular like mirror's edge then you would have seen more custom content made for it (im a huge pc gamer! and i still have not played bioshock 2 Yeah! i totally love the steampunk themes but something just stops me form taking the next step to playing the game.) now! in your own words***Maybe it will/maybe it wont/Have to wait and see............... :arrow:
floven1
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue

Post by floven1 »

what engine does ut 2004 run off of ?
mental block

no sig comes to mind

end of line
Jizaboz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jizaboz »

I own some Epic Games products and have other relations with the company but I've always preferred Id Soft engines. Recently I've come back to an old project of mine, MyDevil - The Doom 3 RPG Conversion Mod.

The unreal editor is fun to use though I must say. MUCH better than "hammer" for Half-Life 2 engine stuff. I was able to construct a cool sewer type small DM level complete with flowing water and pools quite easily! I guess I don't like the 3D engine itself for some reason.. it doesn't "feel" right to me. I've also worked with the G.E.C.K which is a very fast and easy editor to work with. However, I don't feel that I get the same control as I do with a Radiant -type editor.

That being said, your work does inspire me to keep playing with new Unreal Editors as they emerge ::::)
Jizaboz

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

floven1 wrote:what engine does ut 2004 run off of ?
I believe it's Unreal 2.5. The latest version (which Tron Evolution will use) is Unreal 3.
floven1
Registered users
Registered users

Post by floven1 »

thanks tronfaq
mental block

no sig comes to mind

end of line
cryogen4000

Post by cryogen4000 »

tronfaq wrote:The latest version (which Tron Evolution will use) is Unreal 3
Hi! where do i find the info about tron evolution being under unreal engine3? and is this a definite? Danm! that would be so cool!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

cryogen4000 wrote:Hi! where do i find the info about tron evolution being under unreal engine3? and is this a definite? Danm! that would be so cool!
They haven't said anything yet. I'm also not 100% sure. But I'm 99% sure.

Disney bought a license to the Unreal 3 engine, and Propaganda used it on their last game: Turok. They will use it again.
cryogen4000

Post by cryogen4000 »

tronfaq wrote:They will use it again
I certainly hope so!!!! :D
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Meatsack »

I liked UEd for Unreal 2004. I could work it fairly well. Unfortunately, I just don't have the moolah to build a rig meeting the minimum specs to even run Unreal 3. :( So I'm stuck with whatever the 360 offers this fall.
This space intentionally left blank.
floven1
Registered users
Registered users

Post by floven1 »

Meatsack wrote:I liked UEd for Unreal 2004. I could work it fairly well. Unfortunately, I just don't have the moolah to build a rig meeting the minimum specs to even run Unreal 3. :( So I'm stuck with whatever the 360 offers this fall.
you have ut 2k4?, we must play sometime.
mental block

no sig comes to mind

end of line
cryogen4000

Post by cryogen4000 »

I have every version of unreal tournament install im crazy like that! :P and cryogen4000 is ready to frag anyone !!