I Broke my TRON. Easy Fix or Total Re-Install??

KILLER APP.MOD Updates and Information!
artao
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

I Broke my TRON. Easy Fix or Total Re-Install??

Post by artao »

OK OK, it was stoopid I know ... :oops:
I was checking server activity, and saw someone in a non-KA deathmatch. I jumped out of game, turned off KA, and jumped back in. Whomever it was was gone, but I had not yet checked out the map that was running, so I went into the server anyhow. Ran around awhile. This all doesn't matter.
So I leave the server, but had noticed my screen is a bit dim. (This has been happening to me for awhile now, whenever my screen resolution isn't set to 1280x1024 .. i think my monitor may be dying .. doesn't matter)
So, and here's the stoopid part ... I opened up Options > Display to check the resolution. I saw it was set to 1024x768, and tried to up it to 1280x1024. Upon not seeing that resolution, I remembered that KA is what allowed that. Oops.
I exited, turned KA back on, and tried to restart the game. No joy. I get a crash with error "Client MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
OK, so I figure run the game in non-KA mode, perhaps something will re-set. Again, same error. Tried resetting to a different res from the launcher. Same error.
In short, no matter what I do, I now get that error.
Is there something simple I can fix in a config file, or is this going to require a total re-install?
Thanks. I sux :roll:
guess i'll go play X: Beyond the Frontier or X2: The Threat or X3: Reunion for awhile. just got the X-Superbox as a gift :D
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: I Broke my TRON. Easy Fix or Total Re-Install??

Post by TronFAQ »

Try using the original Tron 2.0 launcher to start the game, if you haven't already. It might help.

Also, maybe try restarting the computer. Sometimes when a game is stubborn or acting weird, simply restarting the OS has helped.
artao
Registered users
Registered users

Post by artao »

No joy with either option. I had tried the standard Tron launcher.
Soundin like a complete re-install is gonna be needed. Oh well, only a slight PITA, and really no single-player progress to be lost ... except in User Error, but I wasn't all that far yet.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Before you reinstall (unless it's too late now), can you send me copies of your launchcmds.txt, display.cfg, autoexec.cfg, and Player.txt files? (Only it won't be Player.txt because you created a new profile, so send that one instead.)

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address. If you could zip those files and attach them to the e-mail, I'd appreciate it. (Again, unless you've already reinstalled.)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I took a look at your configuration files, and I think I see the problem.

In both your XartaoX.txt and _XartaoX.txt profiles, one line has become corrupted. The game doesn't handle errors in the config files well, and just crashes.

You need to look for this line in both files:

Code: Select all

PlayerModel = 19PlayerName = "XartaoX"
Change them both to this:

PlayerModel = 19
PlayerName = "XartaoX"
The game should no longer crash.

Unfortunately, I've discovered there's a bug in the Mod Manager program. It occasionally corrupts entries in the config files like this, when it modifies them. Sometimes it takes away a space or carriage return when it shouldn't. So entries get mashed together, the game doesn't know how to deal with it, and it crashes.

I'm going to re-write the program mostly from scratch for the next version of the mod, anyway. Wasn't happy with it from day one. It's a mess of spaghetti code compared to my other programming efforts.
artao
Registered users
Registered users

Post by artao »

AHA!! :D ::::)
You, TronFAQ, are a beautiful, wonderful, gorgeous, awesome, lifesaving genius!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!! I could kiss you, but I'll spare you that horror LOLz ;) :P
Anyhow, yeah, that did it. The error was only in the XartaoX.txt file. Crazy that that small thing would totally pooch the game, but also understandable. Simple syntax error. I kinda figured there'd be a simple fix, but had NO clue what to look for.
Again, many many many thanks. You ROCK!!! 8-)
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

I've used the mod for a quite a while now w/o problems, but today I enabled it, tried to join your DM server through Tronlink, and it crashed with an "Client MFC application has encountered a problem and needs to close". I tried launching it from the mod manager (mod enabled/disabled), icon, tronlink, all get the same thing. I haven't been fooling around with mods/maps. Here's a copy of launchcmds.txt with the mod disabled:

-rez Custom\Resources\gamep5.REZ -rez Custom\Resources\gamep6.rez -rez Custom\Resources\TSDM.REZ -rez Custom\Resources\Z_CAVE_v1.0.REZ -rez GAME.rez -rez sound.rez -rez GAME2.rez -rez custom -rez gamep5.rez -rez gamep6.rez -rez "C:\Program Files\Games\Tron 2.0\tcdg\game" +multiplayer 0  +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableMovies 1 +DisableTripBuf 0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0 +DisableHardwareSound 1 +DisableSoundFilters 0  
Reading above I found in my Profiles\player.txt file the line PlayerModel = 28PlayerName = "0xDADDE0" so I put the carriage return in and now it works great. Can't seem to duplicate why it happened.