TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Killer App Mod v1.2 Preview

Post by TronFAQ »

While I finish up working on the updated User Error (yes, it's still coming!), I also just started doing some preliminary work on v1.2 of the KA Mod. It's early days at this point, very little work done on it.

As I make progress, I'll be posting new fixes and features in this topic once I have them working.
  • CHANGED - When you went to Display > Options from the main menu in a widescreen resolution, the game would reset back to 640x480 because it doesn't support any resolutions that aren't 4:3 aspect. This no longer happens. You can now select any resolution your display supports. Though it's best to stick with the resolution you chose when installing the mod.
  • FIXED - The hit detection on the System Memory screen (where you work with subroutines) is now properly aligned with objects. Before, you would have to hover over the outer edge of objects to get them to highlight. This was particularly noticeable in 16:9 aspect ratio.
Here's a video showing these fixes in action.
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Re: Killer App Mod v1.2 Preview

Post by zook_one »

Nice, the fix on the system memory menu is a nice improvement
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
xdantespardax
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue

Post by xdantespardax »

Hey nice work! But you know you could just release those 2 updates now, as they are annoying by themselves :wink:

Thx, and same goes for the widescreen update for UE2 (taps foot impatiently!) :D
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Those updates won't be released until v1.2 of the mod arrives. Sorry. :D

There are many reasons for this, the biggest one being that it will create confusion if multiple versions of the v1.1 mod start appearing. v1.1, v1.1a, v1.1b, etc. all with slightly different upgrades. I'd rather do major releases infrequently, than minor releases too often. The latter of which could start to annoy people.

Not to mention, each update will break online multiplayer compatibility. So only v1.1 can connect to v1.1, only v1.1a to v1.1a, and so on. I know there are a lot of people that don't care about multiplayer. But again, I don't want to create confusion and annoyance for those that do still care.

But an updated User Error is still on the way and will come out much sooner.
xdantespardax
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue

Post by xdantespardax »

Hey no problem! You're a legend anyway for bothering to do any of this! :)

Out of interest, what other updates are you planning for killer app? It would be so cool if there was an easier level editor for this game, so fans could make more single-player levels/mods. The editor that was included is too complicated for my small brain lol. Grrrr @ Disney!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

xdantespardax wrote:Grrrr @ Disney!
That's not the fault of Disney, it was Monolith. And as Monolith was more based on create the technology, then the content of games, their tools are heavily developed for those who are into that technical stuff. So their tools demand some sort of understanding or a lot of patience.
xdantespardax wrote: It would be so cool if there was an easier level editor for this game, so fans could make more single-player levels/mods.
For that someone has to create a new application right from the scratch. Not an simple task tho. I would have enough ideas who to do that, but definitely not the time. And i think this goes for the most of the other (possible) developers out there. And as it is unfortunately also a question if such a development is useful enough. If there aren't enough users and/or feedback, there is no real sense to develop such a program, as it is just to complex.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

xdantespardax wrote:Out of interest, what other updates are you planning for killer app?
Hmm, well this is what I'd like to try and get working in v1.2. (There's a possibility of a v1.3, but it's not for certain and would be released far down the road at any rate.)
  • Fix any outstanding issues with the UI in 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen (close to being completed)
  • Add proper 5:4 support
  • Try to add support for Eyefinity/Surround resolutions on multiple monitors
  • Probably add at least one new Multiplayer character
  • Update one of the Derez powerups to look better
  • Add support for additional languages (Hungarian, Russian, possibly more)
  • Try to have all Single Player Light Cycle colors unlocked at once (instead of swapping between old and new)
  • Fix more flaws in the Single Player and Multiplayer maps
  • Make the mod easier to install on Vista and 7, and also to uninstall
  • Rewrite the Mod Manager and fix bugs in it
That's just some of the more major updates, there are a lot of smaller ones too.
It would be so cool if there was an easier level editor for this game, so fans could make more single-player levels/mods. The editor that was included is too complicated for my small brain lol. Grrrr @ Disney!
Like X said, trying to rewrite the tools is very complex and time-consuming. But the tools really aren't that bad. Sure, there are better ones for other games. I've also seen worse ones.

It's the documentation that's the problem. It's terrible. The tutorial they provide about building your first room is crap, and the method they describe for making a skybox is needlessly complex. And beyond building a very basic room, they don't tell you how to do anything else.

I did do some tutorial videos to help get people started, though. Just enough to start making Light Cycle and Derez maps.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

Had a thought, though I do not know how easy it would be to implement: customizable User profiles.

Much like selecting between normal and the themes already available for the models, is there a way to implement the following customization in the Tron 2.0 navigation screens and GUI:
  • colors and themes (main colors and possibly User-created elements that fit a template)
    Loading screens (a folder where we can drop in images that will cycle beyond the default screens)
    Music (a folder where we could drop in some Evo music; furthermore, the ability to select which track or tracks will cycle; maybe if connnected to the internet, it can tap into an LDSO radio station a la Radio Rivendell or Grooveshark? I know. I'm pushing it.)

Here's my example (for clarification purposes):
Step 1: Start up Tron 2.0 via KA Mod
Step 2: Select profile (saved profile?) YCP
Step 3: KA Mod implements
  • white/black Kernel model
    YCP background visual theme
    YCP GUI template (or GUI = White)
    Music selected: Tron Evolution installation theme (or cycles through selected Music folder)
Step 4: Select Multiplayer
Step 5: Select Mode
Step 6: Load selected mode (loading screen cycles through YCP map images or pertinent to mode)

NOTE: Even better would be if the server map list is accessed and the loading screen would cycle through images for each playable map in the list. And a voice/mic channel to the chat system (teamspeak, vent, etc support).

This is probably something that will have to wait for the next major upgrade or few. I'm willing to assist as able!

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Although a lot of that wouldn't be impossible, much of it is impractical without the source code. Still, I would be willing to give it a shot.

However, it will have to wait for v1.3. Right now, v1.2 is essentially about fixing what was "wrong" with v1.1. There is a lot of room for improvement. But the work being done is pretty tedious, trial and error kind of stuff. Adding too much on top of that would mean v1.2 would take maybe another year or so to come out. I want to try and get v1.2 done some time in the first half of 2012. *Crosses fingers*
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

I'm fine with that. If I can assist in any way, let me know. I'll see what I can do to help.
T-]
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
NikitaRabykin
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Orange
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Post by NikitaRabykin »

Было бы клёво, если бы вы добавили анимации к модели игрока, когда то использует чит-код «mpasscam» T-]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would be cool if you add animation to the model of the player when it uses the cheat code «mpasscam» T-]
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

NikitaRabykin wrote:It would be cool if you add animation to the model of the player when it uses the cheat code «mpasscam» T-]
The mod already does that in v1.1. Unless you mean being able to use your weapon with mpasscam on. That, unfortunately, is difficult to get working.
NikitaRabykin
Registered users
Registered users

Post by NikitaRabykin »

>is difficult to get working
It's A Pity :(

If you want, i can translate Tron 2.0 on russian language, I think for me it would be no difficulties. T<)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

NikitaRabykin wrote:>is difficult to get working
It's A Pity :(
Here's the thing: I think I could get weapons working with mpasscam. But if I do that, I will end up breaking other things in the game. I don't want to do that. I don't want to introduce bugs or unintended behavior.
If you want, i can translate Tron 2.0 on russian language, I think for me it would be no difficulties. T<)
Well, what I will do is let you look at the finished translation, and then you tell us how it can be made better. Because I know it will not be that good. T-)
NikitaRabykin
Registered users
Registered users

Post by NikitaRabykin »

tronfaq wrote: Well, what I will do is let you look at the finished translation, and then you tell us how it can be made better. Because I know it will not be that good. T-)
Well, I'm with joy help you T-)