Can't Join a Game

KILLER APP.MOD Updates and Information!
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Can't Join a Game

Post by data_ghost »

So here's a new one.

Even after a full uninstall of everythng and the reinstall of the killer app mod (with instructions followed to the letter), I still cannot join games. Even with rez handler reinstalled, it still says that all of the map packs are rezed in but I can't join games because it says that I do not have the maps. When I try and host a server, only retail maps are available. If I try to join a server with retail maps, it says that the server is running a different version of the game and not killer app.

I'm running on a Vista 32bit.
Read my NEW blog, fool!
http://iliketolaugh.tumblr.com/
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Can't Join a Game

Post by TronFAQ »

data_ghost wrote:If I try to join a server with retail maps, it says that the server is running a different version of the game and not killer app.
The server hosting the game has to be running the KA Mod as well, or else you won't be able to join it. I've seen a few people giving the mod a try, but none of the regular server operators have.

I did try running some servers with the mod. But there were just too many servers recently, so people were overwhelmed with choices. Didn't make sense to keep them running. Maybe I'll try again this upcoming weekend.
Even with rez handler reinstalled, it still says that all of the map packs are rezed in but I can't join games because it says that I do not have the maps. When I try and host a server, only retail maps are available.
Try disabling the mod and then join a server. See if you still have the problem with maps. You can disable the mod using the mod manager. If you still get this problem, then it's probably not the mod causing it.

The latest versions of all the maps are available from this page. If you download from anywhere else, some of the maps may be out of date. It's also possible that the server operator is running out of date map packs.

I have some other ideas about what may be causing the problem, but these suggestions are the most likely to help.
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

I uninstalled the mod and I can join servers with retail maps, however it still thinks that I have no custom maps.

This only came about after I installed killer app :???:
Read my NEW blog, fool!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

When you say the game thinks you have no custom maps, do you mean when you try to join a server? Or when you try to host them?

Did you just recently install Tron 2.0 again and then install the mod right after? Or did you install the mod after already having the game installed for a long time? Is the game set to run in Administrator mode? The game won't work 100% properly on Vista or 7 unless it runs in Admin mode.

Can you post the content of your launchcmds.txt file? Can you also check to see if launchcmds.txt is somehow set to be read-only?
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

"When you say the game thinks you have no custom maps, do you mean when you try to join a server? Or when you try to host them?"

Both.

"Did you just recently install Tron 2.0 again and then install the mod right after? Or did you install the mod after already having the game installed for a long time?"

I had Tron 2.0 on my PC for a long time when I first installed Killer App and began having this problem. I then uninstalled everything then reinstalled Killer App following all of the instructions and still had the same problems.

"Is the game set to run in Administrator mode?"

Yes and I did play it once before installing Killer App.

"Can you post the content of your launchcmds.txt file? Can you also check to see if launchcmds.txt is somehow set to be read-only?"

-rez GAME.rez -rez sound.rez -rez GAME2.rez -rez custom -rez gamep5.rez -rez gamep6.rez +multijoin 1 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableTripBuf 0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0 +DisableHardwareSound 1 +DisableSoundFilters 0 +multijoin 1 -GOMULTIJOIN 1 +join 77.189.255.206:27889 +gametype Deathmatch

It is not set to read-only.
Read my NEW blog, fool!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Okay, I have a theory. Based on your launchcmds.txt, it looks to me like you're using Tron Link.

When the mod is installed, it causes changes to the launchcmds.txt file and things get added to it. I'm guessing that when Tron Link encounters these additions, it considers them erroneous or doesn't know what to do with them. So it strips them out, and in the process it also removes the entries that cause custom maps to be loaded. Then if you never run the Tron 2.0 game launcher, they don't get added back.

Instead of using Tron Link to join a multiplayer game, run the game using the Tron 2.0 launcher and join a server the regular way inside the game itself. See if you've got your custom maps back.

If so, there's a conflict between the KA Mod and Tron Link. If you reinstall the mod and don't use Tron Link to join games for the time being, you might not encounter further problems.

This is just a guess. Let me know how it goes.
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

Nope the problem's still there.
Read my NEW blog, fool!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Typically the lauchcmds.txt is generated by the engine at startup, based on registry entries. If those entries are not correctly set, or incorrectly changed at each startup, because of a launching application, then this might be a reason.
So it should be checked what kind of entries are there in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\TRON 2.0\1.0?

Furthermore i would delete the launchcmds.txt, to see if and how it is recreated by the engine, and i would try to do this by starting the game with the default launcher, tronlink and the KA-Mod-lanucher. Then i would create a copy of each created TXT (like launchcmds_def.txt, launchcmds_tl.txt and launchcmds_ka.txt). Afterwards i would compare all those TXT's to see from where comes the difference.
It is important to give the default launcher a try, to see if it already starts up wrong, then we might have to search in the registry and for the reason why it was crapped up there.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

xistence wrote:So it should be checked what kind of entries are there in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Monolith Productions\TRON 2.0\1.0?
Yeah, I was going to suggest this as well. Because in addition to the entries that are responsible for loading the custom maps being missing, the entry for the TCDG folder was also absent in the launchcmds.txt provided.
data_ghost wrote:Nope the problem's still there.
Try this:
  • Start menu > Run (or Search box at the botom) > type "regedit" (without quotes) and hit Enter
  • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Monolith Productions > Tron 2.0 > 1.0
  • Right click on the "1.0" key/folder and choose Export
  • Give it any name and click Save
  • Upload the exported registry file to a site like http://myfreefilehosting.com/ or post its content here (it's just text with a .reg file extension), you might want to edit out the part that shows your CD-Key though
  • Or if you prefer, click on the "1.0" key and take a screenshot of what you see and upload it to an image hosting site, again editing out your CD-Key
That way, we can check if anything odd has happened to the registry entries for Tron 2.0. It certainly looks like something weird is going on there.

You should also give X's suggestion a try, about first deleting your launchcmds.txt and then keeping the different versions of the launchcmds.txt files generated by the different programs, comparing them to each other.