Scurra
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Fantastic job

Post by Scurra »

I have registered solely to express my thanks for such a fantastic expansion, even if I have discovered it rather late in the day! The original game is still one of my favourites, and User Error more than lives up to those high standards. An intriguing story - albeit left hanging somewhat at the end - and some really creative level design, even if the balance of difficulty was a bit peculiar (I assume this was due to having two separate parts joined together.) I am not the world's greatest gamer but there were only a couple of points where I actually got frustrated (just like with the original I guess!) I really enjoyed the effort taken to create levels that approached things differently to the original as well.

Now... someone please tell me that part 3 is going to happen. I want to see Jeremy get his revenge... :)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Fantastic job

Post by TronFAQ »

On behalf of LDSO and the team that worked on User Error, thanks for the kind words.
Scurra wrote:Now... someone please tell me that part 3 is going to happen. I want to see Jeremy get his revenge... :)
Yup, the ending was downbeat and depressing for a reason. Stay tuned . . .
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

SWEEET! I cant wait!
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Thanks for stopping by to let us know you enjoyed UE.

Think of UE2 as the Empire Strikes Back part of the trilogy...

We are planning on lots of Ewoks for UE3. :)
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
Mor.Evil-1
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red

Post by Mor.Evil-1 »

And dont worry, The Ewoks will blink!
ldso:// Living Dead System Operators Clan
[2.0PD] 2.0 Program Developers
Support the movement!
http://www.flynnlives.com

See you on the Grid!!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

eWOKs . . . the vile enemy of Grid Bugs!

If blinks could kill . . .

Anyway, looking forward to part III - Revenge of the User!

:::)
::::)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

I personally hope that the LDSO guys try to hit on more of the powers that a user can have in there world that programs dont.
I would love to see some more User powers in the followup.

Stuff like...

A temp. power - Self Overclock ability - slows everything down for a short time to make shooting easier or somethin.
More affecting the environment stuff - like how flynn shut the End of Line bar room down in Legacy just by touching the floor.

Cool stuff like that. Just some more incite into to a USER's powers in there world!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

@Hangman: Yeah, this is something that always bugged me about Tron 2.0. For being a User, Jet sure was a wimp inside the computer. (Actually, this is something that even carried over into Tron Legacy. Compared to the first film where Flynn was like a deity come down from Mount Olympus, in Legacy Flynn was also much more of a wimp.)

One of Jet's wimpiest attributes is that he would die if he fell off a couple of data cubes. I mean, seriously? LOL. That's why I increased the falling height in the KA Mod, so Jet is only killed if he falls from a much greater height now (about double what it used to be).

If you snoop through the files of Tron 2.0 long enough, you'll discover they had more subroutines planned that would have given Jet User powers. Like the Disguise subroutine, which would have allowed him to steal other programs' colors.

User powers is something I'd been thinking about for a potential UE3. But, it's a question of which powers are actually feasible to implement, and whether or not they'd make the player too overpowered.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

I agree. It was SO much more interesting in The original TRON film. I mean if you really study Flynn an what he went thru. Flynn had some "SERIOUS" USER level powers just waiting to develop if you really study the Original TRON movie.... which personally is what I go by.... Flynn was wuss pussin in Legacy. I think he had just give up.

For instance [In The "Original" film]...

He seemed to NOT be able to die, an if he could, it must seem to take an EXTREMLY DEADLY killing blow to the head to do so.

-an here is why I say so-

1. He survived an EXTREME level overcharge of energy when he redirected the Energy beam. -[tough torso/arms]- survived with only a hangover kind of level of headache.

2. He survived direct exposure to the core of the MCP and its raw data energy core. -[Tough outter body]- resisted energy exposure.

3. He survived being SHOT by a DIRECT HIT from a Grid Tank -[AND THEN]- his light cycle exploding with him inside it.-[so VERY VERY tough outter body in comparision to a standard program]- which we all know is something that killed a normal program -AKA- RAM.

4. Considering that a USER is an "EXTREMLY UNREAL" level of more complex data as compared to standard digital worlds living programs, I think they would have to be an UNREAL level of compression on there data to come into the digital world. -[SO! That would in itself make them a "HELL OF A LOT HARDER to kill than a standard program"].

--which is why I play TRON 2.0 with godmode on in the singleplayer campaign... as if not.. JET is a wussy USER... SERIOUSLY!

5. Now as a given, USER's seem MUCH more "physically/STRENGTH" weaker than a digital world living program.
But I think this basically falls into the fact that a USER's data would be based on there own "our world form"...aka - humans have muscles which burn energy to move and work with fatigue limitations.
Programs would not, as they are just program code to do a function. So thats why they seem to have no physical limitations. -aka TRON liftin Flynn up onto the solar sailer like he was nothing WITH ONE HAN EVEN!
-[So that would tell us that a program in the digital world would be running at max strength capacity at all times, where as a human/USER in there world would not.]

----
As for which powers would be good to use. Why dont everyone just throw out some ideas an you guys could pick an choose from them if they were usable in the code to make them work for the User Error part3?!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

As for implementation of the Disguise subroutine, perhaps picking up an object or activating a trigger would then make the NPC characters passive to the Player/User, and another trigger would make them hostile again. This can be done by have a brief cinematic to indicate the change, temporarily place the Player/User in a non-hostile map, and then hop back afterward. It will probably take some trial and error. Is it possible to turn a bot into a trigger? Ideally the Mesh energy drain Claw should be the weapon of choice for that.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I had been kicking around ideas of how a Disguise feature could be faked and implemented, as soon as I spotted the unused Disguise subroutine icon buried in the game's files. Getting the other characters to either treat you as an ally or enemy is the easy part. But, unfortunately, the Disguise can't be done as a subroutine. Which is really what I would have preferred, and it's what Monolith had planned. But there is another way.

I like the idea of needing the Energy Claw as the mechanism to steal another faction's color/identity. But the question is what triggers the player's ability to disguise himself in the first place. How he acquires the User power.

In the original Tron, Flynn gets his User powers after visiting the large energy pool. The enormous intake of excess energy is what suddenly enabled him to do all those remarkable feats. Remember how he kept drinking more and more, pigging out on the buffet of energy? And both Ram and Tron told him to "put a cork in it"? :D

That's what I think the trigger should be. The player finds a large energy pool somewhere, and suddenly his energy cache attribute gets maxed out. Then slowly, from that point forward, new User powers become available to him. He has no control over when they appear. They just happen over the course of the mission. Each time a new power becomes available, it's a surprise to the player. "Oh another new power? Cool!"
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

I like that! It definitely sounds in line with the original film.

Maybe there is another trait to the energy pool found, perhaps it is directly linked to the Sea of Simulation, to draw a connection to Legacy, at least.

Thinking about other powers, would there be a way to make a character levitate, by affecting the Player/User's gravity? Not necessarily to fly, but at least to hover.

Maybe even a Super Jump that has been used in certain DM matches.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Meatsack »

I like the talk going on here. It gets my creative thoughts rolling... shall I start writing some story or has someone else already called dibs on that? No worries if it has already started.

To make sense, though, storywise, Jeremy was left imprisoned on a soviet server by an early version of the MCP derived from the Red-Base-One chess algorithm originally written by Walter and improved by Dillinger. (IRCC) Given the timeframe of the game and the available OS's I'd say that he's stuck in a Win2k server. (No offense, buddy!) :P There are several options to go from there: spy data theft including Jeremy's code, routine maintenence/deletion of old files gives Jeremy an escape opportunity, or system OS update replaces the MCP kernel with a benevolent kernel who allows Jeremy to run loose to the internet at large.

I kind of like that last one. Considering the time stretch of the digital world in relation to the real world, Jeremy could be released to the internet "institutionalized" so that he has forgotten how to live in the "real world" anymore and now fears returning to it. Perhaps he could wind up hacking Encom, but since Flynn's arcade is still a closed system, I just don't see how he could infiltrate the world of Legacy as yet.

Food for thought.
This space intentionally left blank.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

deeahchur wrote:Thinking about other powers, would there be a way to make a character levitate, by affecting the Player/User's gravity? Not necessarily to fly, but at least to hover.

Maybe even a Super Jump that has been used in certain DM matches.
Jumping: Maybe. Not sure.

Levitating: Yup. That's possible.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Storywise, I like the idea of spy data theft (which is probably going to be what happens in Tron 3, for Ed Jr to swipe the chip around Sam's neck), but I'm not as fond of the benevolent MCP -- it just doesn't seem right. I think it could work that a data deletion opens a chance to escape. Alternatively, Jeremy could be sent to the Game Grid as a gladiator to fight for his life. Therein a chance to escape occurs or a friendly program from the past helps him escape, maybe even a version of Tron is also in the Games.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G