General information regarding the second,
And final installment of this Single Play expansion for Tron2.0
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Out of Memory Error when Derez

Post by Techromancer »

Hi all,

I played this years back and wanted to try it out again. When I derezzed, I got thrown to the desktop and got an "out of memory" box abd Tron2.0 shutdown.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Techro |___| __o-o
Techro |___| __o-o

"the only clear view is atop the mountain of your dead selves...." Peter j Parroll

"that which does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Out of Memory Error when Derez

Post by TronFAQ »

So you're saying that when you die in UE (part 1 or 2?), the game crashes and you get an out of memory error? Is this something that's repeatable? Like, it happens every time? Or has it only happened once so far?

Even though I doubt it, there's a chance the installation of one or both parts of UE didn't complete properly. Are you trying to play UE in widescreen? Did you see windows pop up during installation that looked like these?

If you saw these: did you keep clicking Next all the way to the end without changing anything, and then click Exit?

But let me ask something different. Is this the first time you've tried playing Tron 2.0 on your new computer? Did you try playing it for any length of time before installing any mods?

You might want to take a look at this thread. Scroll down and read all of Stevedroid's and my own posts. Apparently, Nvidia's recent drivers don't work so well with Tron 2.0 any more. All sorts of weird behavior.

There's also a possibility it's your sound card/chip driver. What sound card/chip do you have?
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Hi Tronfaq,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes just recently it happened on part 1 and it did happen like 3 times now, so it is repeatable. To clarify, I am using a TV monitor AOC 32" Envision series and Tron and all other games (except Evolution difficulties) all play fine. You have the new NVidia card from my other thread GTX 560 and I am playing this for the first time on my pc which Is recently bought back in October, Win 7 64 bit 8 GB Ram, Dual Core if any of that helps. I did NOT see these windows you have shown me here. It is a tiny window that says out of memory with a button to click on.

Side note- When I installed UE, I see that there are 2 sets of installers when you extract them, but it seemed duplicated so I did not do it again for the second set. Is that where I went wrong? Is the second set a ptcher I am missing?

Thanks for your help and hard work, it is much appreciated.

Be well,

Techro |___| __o-o
Techro |___| __o-o

"the only clear view is atop the mountain of your dead selves...." Peter j Parroll

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Techromancer wrote:I did NOT see these windows you have shown me here. It is a tiny window that says out of memory with a button to click on.
No, I meant did you see those windows when you installed User Error. Not when the game crashed. But since you didn't seem to recognize them, I'm guessing not.

If you have Killer App installed before User Error, you get the option to install User Error in such a way that it will work in widescreen. That's when those windows appear. If you click Exit too early, files won't get patched and User Error won't work in widescreen properly.
Side note- When I installed UE, I see that there are 2 sets of installers when you extract them, but it seemed duplicated so I did not do it again for the second set. Is that where I went wrong? Is the second set a ptcher I am missing?
User Error comes in two parts now. You install and play the first part, then when you're finished you install the second part and continue playing more levels.

Back to the game crashing. Can you do me a favor: Click the Tron 2.0 icon to run the launcher > Click the Custom button at the bottom > Look for UserError1 and remove the X in the box beside it, so all the square boxes are empty > Click OK > Click Play to run the game. Play for a bit, and purposely die. Does the game still crash? If so, it's not User Error causing it.

If the crashing stops . . . again, maybe UE wasn't installed properly. Could've been your anti-virus or firewall interfering, could be the patcher didn't complete its task, who knows.

But I think Nvidia's recent drivers or your sound chip driver could also be a factor. You didn't mention what sound card/chip you have.
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Hey Tronfaq,

Thanks for the help. I did uninstall and reinstall all the mods and the patch and I now saw those windows you mentioned. Killer app seems to be running good and for the moment I only have part 1 of User Error installed (before I had both). I did do what you said and did not get the error. However when I played user error again and died, it still happens. The good news is instead of hitting f9 to quick load (which I forgot to mention in this equation before - sorry), I can simple load my last save point with no worries. Thanks again for your help and I hope this clarifies some things.

Be well,

Techro |___| __o-o
Techro |___| __o-o

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Do me one more favor? Click the Tron 2.0 icon, and in the launcher click Options. Put an X beside Disable Sound and Disable Music. Click OK.

Try playing UE without sound. Does the game still crash when you die?

BTW: You're not running the game in a window instead of full screen, are you?
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Hi TronFaq,

Ok - I tried it and did as you said. I will point out also that I saw a box that said "disable hardware sound" which was already checked, but I click on disable music and sound and left it as is. Same thing happens f9 quick load upon death gets an out of memory error in a little tiny box. I have to just load from my last saved position.

I actually just finished User Error a few minutes ago, awesome job guys! I am sad to see it end and hoping in the future there may be others.

Hope to see you on the grid T-]

Techro |___| __o-o
Techro |___| __o-o

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Techromancer wrote:f9 quick load upon death gets an out of memory error in a little tiny box.
Ahh . . . see, before now you didn't make it clear it was quickloading that caused the crash. I thought the crash happened at the moment you died. You have to be more specific when describing what's going on. Now it all makes much more sense. I can see why this could happen.

Have you been using F5 to quicksave since you reinstalled User Error? Or have you been using an old quicksave from before you reinstalled? If you create a new quicksave, the problem should go away. If you've been hitting F5 to quicksave after you reinstalled, and it's still crashing, that seems to indicate a new quicksave file isn't actually being written.

That could be because you're not running Tron 2.0 in Administrator mode. If you follow the same instructions I gave for the DEdit icon in my other reply, and do the same for the Tron 2.0 icon, it should eliminate any strange behaviour.

I also made a video to show how to do this. It's the third step.

It might also be because you have your function lock key on the keyboard set to enhanced function keys rather than standard ones. So when you hit F5, it doesn't register as a normal F5 press and the game ignores it. So no new quicksave gets created, and you keep loading the same old one.
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Very good info once again - thanks. I am now running Tron 2.0 in Admin mode - will try it and get back to you as well as try the other options.
Techro |___| __o-o