General information regarding the second,
And final installment of this Single Play expansion for Tron2.0
death_program
Registered users
Registered users

Death-program's review of USER ERROR

Post by death_program »

-----------------WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS-----------------
If you have not played USER ERROR and finished it, do not read this post unless you are absolutely sure you want the gaming experience ruined for you.

DEATH-PROGRAM'S REVIEW OF USER ERROR

User Error was a great game, and one of the best single-player expansions I have ever played. I will be grading on 4 categories that I have just thought up on the spot: Story, Level Design, Innovative cool new stuff, and Overall feel.

STORY: The story starts out kinda weird. However, as the plot line progresses, you get a feel of what the heck is going on, and it sorta falls into place. However, the lack of cutscenes in the beginning places the player in the shoes of Jeremy Powers. Who this guy is or why he's in the computer is foggy. Even if you play the game through, you rally don't know exactly why Jeremy is in there. Sure, you know that he is retrieving a file for Karl, but unless you read about the mod on ModDB or in the .txt file included with the mod, you don't know that Jeremy has financial problems and that's the only reason he goes into the computer. But that's just a small portion of the plot, so I'm only taking off one point from the possible five.
STORY BUILD: 4

LEVEL DESIGN: This is awesome. Almost no bugs as far as I can see. I loved how some of the levels had two ways to the ending, so I felt I had a real choice. Do I go with the strategic, maze-like way or take the more straightforward rout and fight a lot of people? One of the only caveats is that the difficulty on some of the levels is rather infuriating. This doesn't bother me, though. I enjoyed using my strategic thinking to figure out how do get past the hard parts of the levels. I'm still taking of a Build Point, though, because of the level "Fight for your Rights..." which had the most bugs (one) and the hardest portions. Also, there was a boring part to it, too: during the Seeker fight, I had to sit there and just continuously fire at the seeker.
LEVEL DESIGN BUILD: 4

INNOVATIVE COOL NEW STUFF: This gets five build points, right of the bat. Even if the new stuff had just included Grid Bugs, it would have still gotten 5 build points. I mean, it must be very difficult to create a new model, program attributes to it, etc. I'm assuming zook_one added this, and if so, kudos to you! Other cool stuff included Recognizer Reconstruction, Red Z-Lots, purple hands and accessories, and lots of other things. I know from my very small level-designing experience that is really hard to put together all of this stuff.
INNOVATIVE COOL NEW STUFF BUILD: 5

OVERALL FEEL: Awesome. I liked how there were subtle lighting differences in the darker direction as the game proceeded, ending in the ultimate ending. In the single player game, the lighting remained rather light throughout the course of the game. It, of course, ended with a happy (although rather dull) ending. The rest of the game gave me the feel of having accomplished something. Totally a 5-build-pointer.
OVERALL FEEL BUILD: 5

Final build:
4.5 average, which, for me, does not happen much in a game. Good job LDSO clan!