Windows 10 Preview - Do you plan to try it?

Have something Non-game related to share?
Post it here!

Do you plan to try the Windows 10 Preview?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Windows 10 Preview - Do you plan to try it?

Post by TronFAQ »

It's widely expected that by the end of September, or early October, Microsoft will be releasing an early preview version of Windows 9. (Or, whatever they end up calling it.)

Just today, a number of screenshots of Windows 9 were revealed on various sites. This site, in particular, has the most screenshots:
http://winfuture.de/news,83577.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see both good and bad in those shots. But if little is changed, between the version shown here and the public release: this looks like "Windows 8.1 Band-aid edition" to me. Currently, almost identical to Windows 8.1, just with a few added features. The main one being the return of the Start menu.

For me, this is Microsoft's last chance. They royally screwed up with Windows 8. The only thing keeping me on Windows is the games.

If there aren't enough substantial changes, that bring back and put emphasis on "power user" features as an option . . . I'll either stick with Windows 7, or probably give a flavor of Linux a go as my daily driver OS. Maybe SteamOS. I can always dual boot if I still need Windows for game compatibility. I could also try using WINE to run (older) games, and see how that goes.

EDIT: A video of the Windows 9 Start menu in action has appeared.

Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Windows 9 Preview - Do you plan to try it?

Post by Daddyo »

I'm very happy with windows 7, but as for using it for work - man noodling with security settings is amazingly deep and confusing, the only consolation is i'm getting paid to figure it out. Not that linux is any less confusing to me.

It's amazing that microsoft stock has finally unfroze over the past year after a 13 year hold, maybe because basic businesses continue to appreciate it for it's relative ease of use? Not that I knowingly own any of their stock.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Windows 10 Preview - Do you plan to try it?

Post by TronFAQ »

Well, in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft has decided to jump 9 and go straight to 10.

So, Windows 10 it is. m-( (I guess it could have been worse: Windows One, Windows X, Windows 2015.)

I'm using the Windows 10 Preview right now. There's both good and bad. But more good than bad.

At least I'm finding it somewhat pleasant to use, unlike Windows 8. Which I still couldn't stand after giving it a chance for 6 months.