Random Rants From Random Users

Have something Non-game related to share?
Post it here!
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

Should I start the dramatic-yet-action-packed soundtrack? Or do you think it will even get that far?
drDavis
Registered users
Registered users

Post by drDavis »

Avi wrote:Should I start the dramatic-yet-action-packed soundtrack? Or do you think it will even get that far?
I would wait till you see the video, and then write for what you see. Sometimes these things take the weirdest turns.
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

No doubt.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

Yay! My turn!

I'm startin' to get pretty sick of the contemporary style. When I think of game ideas, I have to be incredibly creative to come up with neat ideas (and to me, complexity is awesome, especially when it's futuristic). Unfortunately, the modern style is almost no creativity and rediculous simplicity, in addition to the (continually annoying) "i"/"my" trend of products. iPod, iPhone, iMac, for heaven's sake they've even got an iDog now. Then there's MySims, My Pokemon Ranch, etc. The constant realization that they are making all of these small gramatical mistake kinda bugs me too. In school, we're taught to put spaces in between each word and capitalize each word in a title (except for individual letters and small words like the, unless it's the first word), while in reality, that whole premise is blown out of the water by all of the huge product names like iPod. And seriously, WHAT IS WITH ALL THE LOWERCASE LETTER i's?!? Then there's all this stuff about trying to make our lives simpler, which I don't really have a problem with, but what I do have a problem with is that all this simplicity seems to drain creativity. Today, a game that appeals to a large audience is forbidden to have anything really complex. Take a space shooter game: If your ship is a "USS Falcon-class military warfare aircraft" powered by "2 photon reactors" complete with complete detailed schematics of the dashboard, reactor chamber, etc.. I can assure you that the game would sell fewer copies than if the pemise was that the ship were just there and shoots stuff at everything else. In the yolden days of gaming, "Defender" creator Eugine Jarvis claims to have recieved a detailed blueprint of the ship used in the game from a crazed fan. The fan even included an incredibly detailed discription of how the reactor functioned and etc. Almost no gamer today would think twice about how anything in game works, which really saddens me.

And before I stop mercilessly bashing everything that has been accepted by society like some old fart, I just want to close with proof that people want to be more lazy and unimaginative:

WARNING! MINOR SPOILERS FROM WALL-E!

When WALL-E is onboard the AXIOM ship, he is going all over the place and finds all these people in flying recliner chairs. We're supposed to realize that if we are really lazy in the future, the entire human race will be overweight, lazy, and defenseless. However, the lady next to me kept saying "wow" out loud constantly at the beginning of this scene. I was impressed with the scene because of the fabulous job that Pixar did with animating it and because of it's imaginitive futuristic environment. The lady next to me was amazed by the flying recliner chairs. :lol:

Alright, enough of my pointless bashing. :lol:
http://timewastergames.blogspot.com

Timewaster Games = teh w00t :D
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

TRON.dll wrote:Today, a game that appeals to a large audience is forbidden to have anything really complex.
I think games have gotten extremely complex, not just software but the interface. Compare Asteroids to BF2 or WOW. I like something in between. You can tell people are way overly involved in games as complicated & detailed as BF2 because most won't utter a single word when you're playing with them. When you're doing something simpler like Tron or BF1942 many of the players are free to enjoy chatting and a good game.

People play games for different or combination of reasons, one end to relax away from work or school, and the other to get into an intense firefight and become fully involved. You gotta have a variety of game complexity available to people if you want a wide market. Games with 'detailed schematics of the dashboard' just don't appeal to the masses because there's enough on most people mind not to have to learn what they might consider minor intricacies that distract from the main goal of the game. There is a market, and I'm sure products out there, but not profitable which is what drives capitalism...
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

Sorry I meant to say most games. That was *unfortunately* a mindless rant that I for some reason felt I needed to vomit out onto the interwebs. I try to avoid ranting as much as possible, but sometimes my invisible super-angry fanboy devil dude that pops up on my shoulder from time to time who talks in a really annoying high pitch voice gets the best of my better judgement. My appologies. :-D

SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

I don't like it when people are naive. I think I spelled that right.
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

'nuff said

This means the one who's doing the saying said too much already.
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

I probably went a character too far.
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

I needed to rant and ive run out of school friends to bore so here goes,

how retarded do you have to be to think a microscopic black hole in the LHC could destroy the world? do you also worry about being eaten by sharks everytime you have a shower?

and which fuckwit keeping censoring me? seeing as i am the youngest, who are you trying to protect? :S

ranting over
Read my NEW blog, fool!
http://iliketolaugh.tumblr.com/
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

I can see it now....

"OH NO! THERE'S A BLACK HOLE! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"
*Black hole expands and starts sucking up everyone on Earth*
(Announcer voice from HL2DM)"KILLING SPREE"

lol

I heard someone today give a very good explanation of a black hole:

"When you go into a black hole, that's when you really see some f***ed up s**t."

Hehe

At least if there were a black hole, we would have 50 months to live. :D

They were saying that if a black hole were to have spawned from it, it could have completely destroyed the solar system within 100 years. O_o

SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

The size of a black hole in THAT thing, isolated and by itself, would evaporate instantly. There's isn't light to absorb, nor particles in the vicinity.

Well, in terms of size. I'm trying to say what's practical, not based on actual facts.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Re:

Post by TRON.dll »

data_ghost wrote:I needed to rant and ive run out of school friends to bore so here goes,

how retarded do you have to be to think a microscopic black hole in the LHC could destroy the world?
You never know, you could end up with a resonance cascade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCETIalYIHc

death_program
Registered users
Registered users

Re:

Post by death_program »

I believe that a black hole can only be created by something around 3 times the mass of the sun. Anything smaller is too unstable to survive. I'm not sure, but that's what I heard.
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Random Rants From Random Users

Post by data_ghost »

indeed, a supernovae is what creates a black hole, and that only happens in reeeeeaally big stars. reason being: they are so huge that when they run out of 'fuel' they collapse inwards on themselves (hard to explain but try to get your head round it) and explode. while the outer layer blow off the inner parts of the star get crushed togethor even more. they get squeezed so tightly and their mass becomes so great they they become either a neutron star or black hole.

LIEK UBER-FYZICS-P4WNAGE
Read my NEW blog, fool!
http://iliketolaugh.tumblr.com/