Tron Evolution Battle Grids (Wii version) - Emulated on PC

Got something to say about Tron Evolution?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Tron Evolution Battle Grids (Wii version) - Emulated on PC

Post by TronFAQ »

I finally got around to trying out the Wii version of Evolution, now that I recently upgraded my processor. I'm running it on the Dolphin emulator, which emulates Gamecube and Wii games on the PC. I cranked up the visuals to the max settings, so the game looks better now than it would on an actual Wii.

Note that the JPEG compression on the pictures reduced the quality a bit. So the actual graphics even look a bit nicer than what you see. (This is also an opporunity to test another new feature of the updated forum: automatic resizing of picture attachments. Hmm, white frames around the pictures. What do you guys think? Frames? No frames? Different color frame?)
dolphin_battlegrids_1.jpg
dolphin_battlegrids_2.jpg
Unfortunately, at the highest settings the game runs too slowly on my new six core Phenom II. (I don't even want to think how it would have run on my old dual core.) I'll have to fiddle with the settings some more, to make it playable. Also, so far, no matter what I try the speech is too slow and downpitched. But other than that, the game seems to run perfectly.

I've spent very little time with the game so far, but it already looks way more interesting to me than the PC/360/PS3 version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Re: Tron Evolution Battle Grids (Wii version) - Emulated on

Post by deeahchur »

The frames look fine on those pictures, but that won't necessarily be the same across the boards.

I know the white borders will look great on the YCP screenshots! T-p
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Frame is nice but might distract from some images.

Wow Wii emulator. I liked the Wii version alot more than the PC. Unfortunately didn't hook me.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

Got a link to where that we can go Download and try out this Dolphin emulator? I wouldnt mind checkin that game out in higher quality.

So can you hook up an play some online multiplayer matches with that emulator FAQ?
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

You can get the Dolpin emulator from here. Since you're using XP, you want the 32-bit version. The emulator is being updated constantly. A new version is released every few days to fix bugs and improve performance. So you will probably want to check back with the site every month or so and download the latest version.

Unfortunately, unless you have a really powerful computer, you will not be able to run Battle Grids with significantly better than Wii graphics. Even my newly upgraded PC with six-core processor and Radeon 6870 struggles. But if you're willing to settle for slightly better than Wii, the performance should be good.

You're going to have to play with the emulator settings like I did, in order to get the best visuals vs. performance compromise. But one very important setting to change is the Texture Cache Accuracy. Unless it's set to Safe, some of the graphics in the game will be corrupted. (It's possible that in the meantime the latest version fixed this, but I doubt it.)

Of course, you also need an ISO image of the game itself. You won't be able to just place the Wii disc in your DVD drive and load the game. (This is for everyone reading.) You'll have to get a so-called "scrubbed" image, and either the NTSC or PAL version will work.

And nope, you can't go online because the original Wii game doesn't support it. Emulator can't help with that.