Got a graphical issue in Evolution.

Got something to say about Tron Evolution?
WildChargerTV
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Got a graphical issue in Evolution.

Post by WildChargerTV »

Heyo, LDSO. It's me again. That guy from the YouTube comments section that made your totally real task list. I got something for you, no jokes this time. (I'm addressing this to LDSO specifically because the TRON: Evolution forum seems about as dead as an accounting program without an energy supply). There is literally only one other case of this I could find and it remained unsolved beyond the typical Steam game troubleshooting methods - so who better to go to than the only group I know who can (at least) try to figure out what my issue is and (at best) tell me how I can remedy it?

"One Other Case" originated from the TRON: Evolution Discussions Steam Thread "Green" Problem. The forum wouldn't allow me to directly link to the post, nor the pictures within it which I reference below.

The "Green" Problem involves all of the 2D UI elements within TRON: Evolution being shaded in a green overlay, either wholly or partially. The effect is persistent; neither verifying the game files nor uninstalling/reinstalling worked to remotely fix this issue. Modifying the compatibility settings of GridGame.exe (and even GridGameLauncher.exe) have not yielded any changes, either.

Compared to the first reported case, we seem to have one particular thing in common; we both upgraded our operating systems from Windows 7. The only real difference here is that instead of upgrading to Windows 8, I skipped right up to Windows 10. Graphically, the issues are exactly the same as the Imgur pictures provided in the original Steam post. TRON: Evolution functioned normally pre-upgrade, without any graphical errors whatsoever.

TO CLARIFY: THE GAME RUNS FUNCTIONS NORMALLY OTHERWISE. This is not a case of unplayability gameplay-wise, but an issue far too large to be ignored. I can provide on request my DxDiag system report in the event this can be put to good use, should you decide to look into the issue further. The forum wouldn't allow me to post the .txt file right off the bat.

I don't want this post to be misunderstood as a silent nudge to mod the game, as you (LDSO) have previously specified to me your stance on this game. However, seeing as you have been able to access the game and bring it to a moddable state (implied) - a commendable effort in itself - I figured that you guys would have the best insight on how I can potentially remedy this issue.

Any help in any form would be highly appreciated.

(EOL)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Got a graphical issue in Evolution.

Post by TronFAQ »

Hey, Wildcharger. Welcome to the LDSO forum. T-)

Yeah, sorry about not being able to add attachments or links to your post. We had a serious problem with spammers in the past, so we had to limit what new users could post.

I, too, have only heard of this issue once before. (Parts of the image are green.) Based on the screenshots, it looks like the transparency of 2D HUD elements isn't being blended properly with the background.

A DXDiag report would be helpful, yes. You could send me a link to it on Twitter, if the forum won't let you use links yet.
WildChargerTV
Registered users
Registered users

Post by WildChargerTV »

"The extension txt is not allowed." 'Tis unfortunate. Let's check links:
https://pastebin.com/T5xLXpX6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yup, that seems to work. Here's one dxdiag report, as requested.
"You know ... it occurs to me that we all reformat eventually. Our Users, in their ultimate wisdom, decide when we are obsolete and pphtt!"

(EOL)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

There are three possible remedies for your issue, that I can think of right now.

First, run Notepad (or any text editor). Select File from the menu > Open > Click the drop-down menu on the bottom right that says "Text Documents (*.txt)" and change it to "All Files (*.*)".

Navigate to Documents > Disney Interactive Studios > Tron Evolution > UnrealEngine3 > GridGame > Config.

Open the GridEngine.ini file. Hit Ctrl + F and do a search for "AllowD3D10" (without quotes).

It should be set to False. If not, remove True and change it to False. Then File > Save to save the change.

If it was already set to False . . . the next thing to try is turn off all Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering options in the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

You should be able to open it by right clicking on an empty desktop and choosing "Intel Graphics Settings" or "Graphics Properties" (apparently), or hitting the Win + R keys > type "control panel" (without the quotes) and hit Enter > look for the Intel Graphics Control Panel icon and click on it.

The part of the Intel Graphics Control Panel that lets you turn these off should look something like this:

Or like this:

So click "Turn Off Anti-Aliasing" (or put a checkmark in the "Custom Settings" box and set "Texture Quality" to "Performance"), then set Anisotropic Filtering to "Application Settings", if they aren't already set that way.

The DXDiag report didn't provide as many details as I thought it would. So I'll have to confirm something. It says you have an Asus K54C laptop. Do the specifications of your laptop match what's shown on this page?

https://mobilespecs.net/laptop/ASUS/ASUS_K54C.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If those specs are correct, you have Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics.

The last resort is to update your Intel graphics driver. I noticed that you seem to be running an older version: 9.17.0010.4459. Apparently there's a newer driver available from Intel: 15.28.24.4229.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... cs-Drivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would visit that page and click on the "Get started" button to the far right of "Automatically update your drivers" and see what the upgrade advisor has to say.

But . . . there's no guarantee that updating your driver will fix the problem in TRON Evolution. It's up to you if you want to take the risk of updating.
WildChargerTV
Registered users
Registered users

Post by WildChargerTV »

Concerning Solution One: Set AllowD3D10 to False in GridEngine.ini:
AllowD3D10 had already been set to False on verification.

Concerning Solution Two: Disable Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering in the Intel Graphics Control Panel:
Compared to your screenshot, my Control Panel showed notable difference (see attached image). The Texture Quality and Vertex Processing options are nonexistent, and a checkbox labeled "Application Optimal Mode" was present where your screenshot did not show the same field. Disabling this field did NOT show the Texture Quality and Vertex Processing options. Anisotropic Filtering had already been set to Application Settings on verification. Because there was no Texture Quality option, the Anti-Aliasing settings could not be modified from the Control Panel in question.

Sorry to hear the DxDiag report did not yield the information that it should have. While the report claims I have a K54C, my exact laptop model is the Asus X54C-BBK21. It boasts Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834230882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Concerning Solution Three: Upgrade to Intel Graphics Driver 15.28.24.4229:
"A difficult proposition. A difficult proposition at best." The 64-bit version of the drivers only supports Windows 8 at the latest. While logically this would imply that the drivers I have now are even less supported, it is of my belief that the risk only grows greater should I have these drivers installed. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is installed on the laptop in question at the time of this post, and it claims that no updates were necessary after the last check.
The .html file enclosing my detailed system report was identified as a "possible attack vector" by the forum. It has been uploaded as a WinRAR archive. While I will remain open to this option as a last resort per your recommendation, I fear that it will cause more problems than it would solve at this point in time, regardless of whether it fixes my issue in TRON: Evolution.

EDIT: Just so I don't forget, I want to restate that the game had no issues pre-upgrade. Windows 8 systems seemed to suffer the same issue although the drivers in question directly supported that OS version.

Please let me know if any further information turns up. I am happy to send any more information where necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You know ... it occurs to me that we all reformat eventually. Our Users, in their ultimate wisdom, decide when we are obsolete and pphtt!"

(EOL)
WildChargerTV
Registered users
Registered users

Post by WildChargerTV »

Quick update: The installer for the Intel Graphics drivers you reccommended to me (Intel Graphics 3000 v15.28.24.4229) has given me this prompt (see attached image). With this in mind, and v15.28.24.4229's noted incompatibility with Windows 10, I've decided that installing these drivers will only serve to create more problems than it could have any chance of fixing.

Once again, please notify me if any alternative methods become available. I will be happy to help. Do you have a Discord server perchance? I would be able to more easily connect with you there.

EDIT: It may not help, but could you let me know of any redistributables TRON Evolution utilized? Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling any possibly corrupted redistributables could serve to help the situation, and because Steam consolidated all redistributable packages, it doesn't seem to be as simple as checking the Redist folder anymore.

(EOL)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(EOL)