Brief new Trailer of Evolution, some PC info

Got something to say about Tron Evolution?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Brief new Trailer of Evolution, some PC info

Post by TronFAQ »

There's a new brief trailer for Evolution (thanks CaptainCR):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STcHCQVqbh4

It finally confirms how multiplayer will be handled on the PC version. Games for Windows Live. Look at the bottom left corner at the end of the trailer. I suspected that's what they would use.

Unless leaving "Live" on as part of the logo was a mistake. Because nowhere on the box can you see the Live logo. (Then again, the 360 box doesn't say Live on it either.) Still, either GfWL or Gamespy were the two candidates. Disney has yet to release a Steam game. (Which I find pretty stupid on their part. Most people prefer Steam and really don't like GfWL.)
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Re: Brief new Trailer of Evolution, some PC info

Post by deeahchur »

So is it just me or is Tron actually in Tron: Evolution as the figure in all black with a few accents in white, especially the telltale 3 boxes on top and one in the middle underneath?

[] [] []
[]

It sounds like Bruce Boxleitner's voice in the narration of the first trailer and ending with, "Welcome to the grid, Program."

The most telling part is when the narrator says: ( . . . "You will have allies" . . . )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZYyAAbrCoY&NR=1
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

deeahchur wrote:So is it just me or is Tron actually in Tron: Evolution as the figure in all black with a few accents in white, especially the telltale 3 boxes on top and one in the middle underneath?
That's Anon, your game character. He works for Tron (and Flynn), which is why he has the T symbol on his chest. Tron is also in the game, but he's blue as you might expect.

The trouble is, Tron looks almost the same as Anon with the new type of costume, helmet, etc. Which is what I don't like about the new program costumes. Except for color, they're not differentiated very well and are difficult to tell apart. Whereas before, you could spot the differences easily.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

Ah. Good to know.

I do hope Tron actually shows up in both Evolution and Legacy. At the very least they are using Bruce Boxleitner for the voice in Evolution, even if so far it seems to only be in the trailer.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

So tron_man found another trailer for Evolution:
http://wdigreach2.rd.llnwxd.net/media/e ... ode_ip.mp4

I think most of it is pre-rendered, with only a bit of actual in-game footage. Normally pre-rendered is "bullshot" quality, in other words: the game won't look as good as that. But I have to say that, for pre-rendered footage, it doesn't actually look that good. Not so impressed. Traahn over at Tron-Sector compared it to GLTron, and I tend to agree with him.

And CaptainCR found some music tracks from the game (click on Tron Evolution):
http://www.sonicmayhem.com/music.php

The sample tracks provided are a mix of pretty good and not so good. I like the first five tracks to varying degrees, but the last two . . . ehh. I think the sixth track is the one I've heard most often in the gameplay previews, like when they showed someone riding a Light Cycle. That one sounds particularly bland.

A couple of Daft Punk tracks will also be in the game, but it's mostly different music.

EDIT: Seems Disney protested, and had the tracks taken down. But luckily I still had them in my browser's cache. (If we get a notice here too, then we'll know Disney or their agents are snooping here.)

Electric Dreams
Enter the Grid
Flynn's Lament
Nucleus 2.0
The Chaos Complex
The Tron Codex
The End of Everything

Seeing as how a at least one Tron-Sector member always seems to be on top of any Tron Evolution news so quickly, I strongly suspect one of them is working for Fanscape: a marketing company hired by Disney to hype up the game by posing as fans.
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Well Disney does own them, and everyone has the right to earn a paycheck for work done.

Even so, I quickly listened to them on my PC and thought the tracks were ok, then put them in my car today (with an awesome Logic 7 stereo) and said 'holy $h@@t' a couple times, they are really good! I had thought that they were all Daft Punk, maybe remixes, but then noticed the names on all the tracks were Sascha Dikiciyan, http://www.sonicmayhem.com/bio.html, looks like he did alot of the Tron Film soundtrack (you guys probably know all this stuff already). If you didn't yet, give it a try on a good stereo system.

They all did a great job on doing the music for the film/game. Maybe not John Williams or particularly melodic but hell it's one a heck of a step from 'Round the World'. I'm already determined to buy the soundtrack.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Daft Punk only contributed something like two tracks to the game. The rest are by the chap you mentioned (and a couple of other composers). His music is just in the game. Daft Punk did all the music for the film.

For the most part, I like these tracks for Evolution. BUT . . . while many of them are pretty good, they don't really sound Tron-like to me. I just don't think Tron when I hear them. Both the original Tron film and Tron 2.0 had two types of music: either a very serene type, or a very synthetic/artificial type. These tracks for Evolution sound too much like industrial techno, like something you'd hear in a rave or dance club.

The game is supposed to be coming on Nov. 26th in the UK, so it won't be long before we start seeing and hearing a lot more about it. Meanwhile, North America has to want until Dec. 7th.
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

I have to listen to it again, but do you think any of these tunes resemble the intro tune in Tron 2.0? Maybe just the style.

Maybe they'll have a melodic tune or two in the film, something along the lines of what we might remember being unique and having a sense of wonder in the original film. If they don't, then I'll give it a try!

If we are able to make maps for this new game on the PC, are you thinking you might do another tutorial (if it's needed)? I learned alot from yours, unfortunately I got burned out with using the editor since the map I wanted to make was apparently just too big to compile.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Since Evolution is using the Unreal engine - unlike Lithtech in general (and Jupiter, specifically), Unreal is very well documented and has lots of useful tools. So I probably won't do any tutorials.

Unless Evolution has been so heavily modified from the base Unreal code, that it's different enough to warrant the need for additional tutorials.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Check it out: if you use a special mouse mat with the Tron mouse from Razer, it leaves behind a trail.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/23/hilar ... ght-cycle/

Nice, but it's all way, way too expensive.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

With TRON Evolution releasing in some parts of the world today, I wrote an opinion piece on it. Note that this view isn't necessarily shared by all members of the LDSO team.

http://bit.ly/gkvAn7
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Post by tronrose »

I'm surprised they don't...

There's nothing original about it whatsoever. The mechanics are played out and have been used many times in other games. No foolin'. The mechanics are the exact same, right down to the T. It is surely a victim of its predecessor, which was probably some super hero game.

And yea, that puzzled me too when they had a "hard time" making the LCs do 90's in MP. Not very hard when all you have to do is set the pivot to the LC in free looking. Surprised they mentioned at the end that they had referenced TRON 2.0 while making the game. Looks like they over looked a couple of things :)

But, I had little hope for this game anyway, especially when I heard the game was going to be in 3rd person. In fact, after watching that video, I'm having doubts about the movie. To the very least, I hope that the movie explains the rain and thunderstorms and the cavernous worlds because I don't want to buy the game to find out. Although, it would be a great marketing tool in luring TRONphiles if they did limit that information.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

First review I've found from someone who bought and played Tron Evolution.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost ... tcount=148
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Here's a really informative interview I just found from a few months back. Wish I'd found it earlier.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/features/gg/ ... n-hands-on
GN: How long has Tron: Evolution been in development? When's the planned release date?

PS: Fifteen months so far. We're targeting December 7th for release.

GN: That's a pretty short development cycle. What was the team size?

PS: The team is thirty-some people, plus some outsourced work. You're right - it is a very short time to develop a full game.
It's as I thought. They rushed this game to meet the movie release deadline. This is why movie tie-in games almost universally disappoint.
GN: How do you respond to Disney games often being underdeveloped?

PS: Let's face it: most games based on movies suck. We don't want the players to be replaying the movie and feel like they've wasted their $60. That's why the story is completely unique; we worked closely with the movie guys to make sure the universe lines up, but also stands on its own. You don't want a movie that flops - I'm not saying that Tron will - but the game has to be able to stand on its own, just like the movie has to stand on its own. You don't want one to pull them both down.
Based on reviews coming out now, it sounds like they didn't manage to avoid the movie game curse. Few games have. (Tron 2.0 being one of the few.)
GN: What about mod support? Will there be any expected support for PC modders? What's your distribution channel for the PC?

PS: The game will probably be pretty closed off. We're using Games for Windows Live for the achievement system, so it is unlikely there will be any modding.
No surprise there. Saw this coming long ago. We're on our own.
GN: Will you be using Steam?

PS: We have not announced any partnership with Steam.
In other words, no.
GN: For a game with such a short development time, will you have any open or closed beta testing?

PS: We will not have any beta, all testing will be done by Disney or its partners.
Stupid move. Open beta testing probably would have helped considerably.
I opted to play the Xbox 360 version, although the game is also releasing on every major platform (the PC version will be a port from either the Xbox or PS3 version).
No surprise there, either. Probably a port of the 360 version. Would be easier than porting from the PS3.

I'll let you guys read the rest.