HOWTO derezze a Blockwhore without big risks...

Tips & Tricks for DM/DA/LC
NicolA.exe

HOWTO derezze a Blockwhore without big risks...

Post by NicolA.exe »

Foreword:
Btw. my tips might not working that effectively on Derezze [DM] but they perfectly suit for Disc Arena [DA]. When ur opponent constantly is blocking like having "autofire" activated on a joystick, then u automatically start to guess him as indefeasible. Wrong thought. :)

Short History:
When i started to play the first Tron 2.0 demo on July 2003, blocking indeed was an offensive powerful weapon back in time because when u blocked in the correctly direction, the opponent could have lost alot of energy which made the game pretty unbalanced & easier to play for those who failed to aim properly. Ladies & Gentleman...this was the decade of the "so called" Blockwhore. :oops:

More than a half of programms gave big hopes in the gold release of Tron 2.0 to have this & other annoying bugs vanished. Blocking in the full game became lesser attractiv but it turned out that to be still useful thanks to the perplexity of some players. Endlessly controversy then happened on serval forums as also within the spectator rooms on gamegrid & this was significant for a clan named Block Union BU somewhen between 2004/2005. If i don't fail to remember the founders nick was Hack who wanted to siganlize for everyone a freedom of choice instead to forbide an implemented feature ingame to use.

HOWTO derezze a Blockwhore:
The easiest opponent would be someone who took a fixed place. If u face an opponent such this level u don't need to move neither. Proceed the following steps:

a) press the left mouse to release the disc but keep holding the button
b) while u hold the button move a little bit with ur wrist to steer ur disc to a desired angle.
c) u will recognize the disc can curve arround the players back. In this situation the blocking player is helpless as the disc will hit him in the back when u stop holding the left button (Backshot). Be carefuly using time...after a certain amount of time the disc automaticaly will fly back into ur hands. The Discplayers call this a recall.

A few Backshot-methods available:
I discovered this technique from Xistence who always has been an inspiring factor to me. As there are availble a few variations of backshots i named the above-mentioned mehtod simply as "curved Disc". The most used option by the crowd was to release a straight-lined disc by quickly pressing on the left mouse, guessing then the aiming point where the player soon to be arrive & then after calling back the disc with the right mouse. This method is useful when ur opponent is an Jump 'N' Run nature but when he is blocking often it will result to endless losses of ur disc. The advantage he will take is the very moment when u have lost ur disc for a few seconds. During these seconds expect him to shot with his disc. Dodge while u wait for the return of ur disc.

It is possible to avoid the situation i told already. For a better insight of this theory let's take for example Disc Arena 1. Sorry for causing u a little brainstorming. Both sides have 2 big platforms to stay. Procced as above-mentioned with the difference that this time u are gonna to care for the best position too. Which means u will have to move ur avatar aswell in order to ehance the scope of ur flying disc, to bring therefore urself into an accordant position, which will be changed as often as ur opponent is changing his position. This is very necessary ! For example...u are on the right platform & ur opponent is about to make a step to the left. Of course...this requires u to shape ur sense to predict the moves correctly.

The difference between a straight-lined to a curved Disc that the curved Disc won't hit him on the front side. So in our example...while our opponent is about to move to the left ur disc will fly arround him & give him a backshot when u didn't fail to guess his objective destination. A straight-lined shot would be to risky because when he kept blocking while u have fired on him, the chances u get blocked are too big. Allthough this might be easier to manage as to curve ur opponent but in exchange it doesn't feel like a gamble such the Russian roulette.

Questions
By chance if u don't understand my explication u may ask me in this thread. The best way to understand some theory is to make or at least to imagine the praxis.
death_program
Registered users
Registered users

Post by death_program »

This is a good "how-to", it will really come in handy. Thanks!
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

Guilty. lol.
http://timewastergames.blogspot.com

Timewaster Games = teh w00t :D
NicolA.exe

Post by NicolA.exe »

My Howto might sound funny while reading thru but if u try it out u will notice why blocking became lesser prefered. As i always told on gamegrid to peps i never hate players for their blocking-attemps. Nor i never could understood the reasonings of some people why this methode should be banned. Especially when u know the backside of the blocking player completely is defenceless. The backshot does it & will always do.

And the group who consequently kept blocking by puropose to bug on those who called them blockwhore are nomore to find on gamegrid. I guess they had lesser talent for flexiblity. If they could manage to combine defensive with offensive strategies it would have turned to a massive new level of a challenge. It saddens me they give up too early. Perhaps those who left never were real hardcore fans of this game. I hope to catch soon players who will try to combine everything this game has to offer. Ofcourse it does take some time & newbies always will feel be owned by veterans because of the difference in level. Always i have tried to encourge them that veterans in Tron 2.0 aren't worthy for a god-alike status. It's just the matter of experience. When u excessively have played this game such over 4 years then it doesn't mean u are more skilled than others.
TRON.dll
Registered users
Registered users

Post by TRON.dll »

I agree. Backshots can be tricky at times, but are well worth the trouble if you keep at it. I can't begin to list the number of times that I've had little "Block Parties" abruptly interuppted by backshot to the head. lol.
http://timewastergames.blogspot.com

Timewaster Games = teh w00t :D
NicolA.exe

Post by NicolA.exe »

Correctly Tron.dll. :) U figured then long time ago that Disc Arena is a kind of sportbattle for the mind who loves to have some strategy included. Differently it is in Derezze where u just need to run in cycle & keep up the speed to hurry up collecting points. Similar things i recognized with Quake Arena where there are modified & ...call it like naked modes, who just offer primitave weaps which then require more accuracy as with the modified weaps who give a stronger blast.

And so it is with Disc Arena. U just are focused on one weapon & all u have is a small scope for the footwork, ur opposite target to mess up with & ur disc that is ur racket for the match. Have u ever noticed that blocking in Derezze happens uncommonly ? I'm sure u know the reason too. Derezze offers a too chaotic game. Even sniping on most retail & some costum maps isn't possible whitout being fastly captured from behind.

I don't like all these new powerweaps invented for Tron 2.0 & i still miss a nold weap that i've seen in the Movie Game-slaves have used on the grid. If i remember they have shooted an energyball with one arm. It looked like they would have played a futurstic baseball. Forgot the name of this weapon...maybe someone of u can help me to remember it's name. However...i would have loved to see how it would have worked with blocking with one arm instead a disc. For sure a new tense situation during the matches could have been expected. :P They have played this on unsolid rings aswell as seen with discs.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

It never had a name in the film, but most times it is called 'Jai alai' as the real sport (definitely the film scene is inspired by that) -> Jai alai
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
NicolA.exe

Post by NicolA.exe »

Thank u Xistence. So we may call it Jai alai as in our case the crew didn't gave any name to it in the film. Sadly we don't have the source-code. Otherwise this could have been a chance for a new additionally gamemode opened. One of the DSO-costummaps makes a perfect copy of this sence when slaves had to use the Jai alai practice infront Sark, ... if i remember.

We basicaly too can fire on the platform which then reflects the shoot but instead of a Jail alai we just have a disc as ingame there seems no routine included for a Jai alai match. And blocking on a Ja alai-game could be possible with the add-one a programm is getting for.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

As far it was possible (w/o the source), you can play the exact scene of the film in my map 'DSO-DA_Rebound'. Some little workarounds had to made to get as close as possible to the original, but unfortunately you can only play it with disc.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog