Returning noob seeks some online advice!

Tips & Tricks for DM/DA/LC
xenobuzz
Registered users
Registered users

Returning noob seeks some online advice!

Post by xenobuzz »

Hey all,

I was very late coming to Tron 2.0 when it first came out, thus the online gaming environment was overwhelming as everyone was MUCH more adept than I at combat. However, I'm ready to try again with the Killer App mod (kudos again to everyone who contributed, it's AWESOME!).

I've got the DM Packs 1 & 2, DSO and DA Packs installed using Rez Handler, but I hardly ever see any servers online.

Is Killer App too new for most online gamers to be using yet (so I should uncheck it from the Custom tab before I start), or is there a time where I am (SF Bay Area, PST) when I could provide you vets with some entertaining disc fodder?

Dave S.
"There is no end, no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life." -Federico Fellini
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Returning noob seeks some online advice!

Post by TronFAQ »

Hi Xeno, long time no talk. :)
xenobuzz wrote:Is Killer App too new for most online gamers to be using yet (so I should uncheck it from the Custom tab before I start), or is there a time where I am (SF Bay Area, PST) when I could provide you vets with some entertaining disc fodder?
Yes, you're correct in your assumption. No one has been hosting the mod as of late, which is why you get no servers. You'll have to disable the mod for the time being.

Most of the veteran players no longer play. So you'll likely end up playing mostly newcomers, who shouldn't be familiar enough with the game yet to have an advantage.
xenobuzz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by xenobuzz »

tronfaq wrote: Hi Xeno, long time no talk. :)
Indeed! Too long! Good to see you again! :-D
tronfaq wrote: Yes, you're correct in your assumption. No one has been hosting the mod as of late, which is why you get no servers. You'll have to disable the mod for the time being.
Cool, thanks! Do you know if online there's generally more Disc Derez as opposed to Light Cycle competition so that I can determine which Rez files I should use?
tronfaq wrote: Most of the veteran players no longer play. So you'll likely end up playing mostly newcomers, who shouldn't be familiar enough with the game yet to have an advantage.
Hmmm, is there any time the vets get together online for kicks? :-)

Dave S.
"There is no end, no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life." -Federico Fellini
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

Welcome (back) aboard Xeno. From what I've seen, more people generally spend their time in Light Cycles and Derez. Not so much of Disc action.

And when it comes to playing around, we usually don't officially schedule things, but sometimes we will find each other and organize something.

Btw, the disturbing thing is my name is David, and my last name starts with an S as well. :-?
Avi
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Avi »

SweatyPyro wrote: Btw, the disturbing thing is my name is David, and my last name starts with an S as well. :-?
No joke! Same with me! Check the file that comes with the Killer App mod, and you'll see a David S. on there under Quality Assurance.

Freaky, man...we ought to start a clan (but not one called DS, okay?)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

xenobuzz wrote:Do you know if online there's generally more Disc Derez as opposed to Light Cycle competition so that I can determine which Rez files I should use?
I'd say that the situation has always been the same, and never really changed. Light Cycles is always the most popular, follwed by Derez, and then Disc Arena. So LC map packs will likely be the most needed.
Hmmm, is there any time the vets get together online for kicks? :-)
They do once in a while, yeah. But it doesn't happen too often.

So all three of you have the first name Dave and the last initial S? Maybe you guys should play the lottery more, because the odds on that are pretty amazing. :-D
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

xenobuzz wrote:Do you know if online there's generally more Disc Derez as opposed to Light Cycle competition so that I can determine which Rez files I should use?
I'd say just stick them all in. it does no harm and if you have the unofficial patch you can fit them all in. the rarety of finding someone on is means that ,for me anyway, just play any mode, dont be picky.
avi wrote:Freaky, man...we ought to start a clan (but not one called DS, okay?)
yes the cursed clan name! :lol:
Read my NEW blog, fool!
http://iliketolaugh.tumblr.com/
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

Avi wrote:...we ought to start a clan (but not one called DS, okay?)
DS? Sounds familiar.
Inode
Registered users
Registered users

Re:

Post by Inode »

SweatyPyro wrote:From what I've seen, more people generally spend their time in Light Cycles and Derez. Not so much of Disc action.
That may change, courtesy some recent conversation among myself, Disc Bot and Oosaka. ;)

i@fcon.ca
NicolA.exe

Post by NicolA.exe »

In the past, before everything went too crazy in our community the most prefered gamemode was Disc Arena. No bullshit. :) Of course that has changed. So great change happened during 2005. Since 2006 people, even former DA-vets prefer to play LC instead DA.

DM never has been a favourite choice within the whole stuff. Only then when u would have looked with Mor.Evil's eyes. ;) However. Nowadays we lack of players. A fact we can't deny to newcomers as also told by Tronfaq. If we would have the same level of activity then guess what the favourite gamemode could be.:P I don't need to hail for DA anymore.

If the leftovers prefer only DM & then LC then there is no reason for begging. People don't change. Even if they pretend they had. :D

@Inode

If u guys realy are serious with ur comebacks i wouldn't mind to join for some fun. As my reallife has changed too the only possible timespawn that i could offer to u would be 1) at weekends & 2) no starting by early in the moring (in utc). In other words i nomore can handle nor effort to play for hours as i used to in the past. To clarfiy the manageable from my side, let's add an easy example :arrow: The latest starting point i could do would be at 22.00 o'clock. No longer until 1.00 would be the realistic end. Pls, bear in mind that i still live in europe which means utc +1hour. If u think it's calling u to play me then u have no other choice as to be more flexible. Of course the atmosphere by playing at nights feels much better but hell the timezone differencies, ....otherwise nothing to manage.

-> http://24timezones.com (u need to make ur individual settings)
-> http://www.worldtimezone.com (refresh ur browser from time to time)

Greetings,
Nicola-Alexandra
Inode
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Inode »

NicolA.exe wrote: @Inode

If u guys realy are serious with ur comebacks i wouldn't mind to join for some fun.
I'm not aiming for some sort of crusade here. It's an informal get together. We all know it'll never be like it was.

But anyway, check the timeframes in the multiplayer thread. If you can join us, great. Just behave yourself otherwise.

- I
NicolA.exe

Post by NicolA.exe »

But anyway, check the timeframes in the multiplayer thread.
The timeframe never will suit to me. In the past i could give flexiblity as i was younger & motivated to play at every time. And now, i still want to play u but reallife goes first. Only that has changed. With 31 u can't afford it. Btw. Avanze best onlinemate "T.0.P" managed to play me a few days ago. He attended the ent12 server with the nick "Donald". When i was asking him if he is the Donald Duck, he asnwered with a short: "yes". And after his 2nd answer, as i provocated him with: "But i'm not ur Daisy", he told me similiar something like: "God thanks", a Déjà Vu revealed clearly his indentiy including his taste for the orange color.

I know he hates me because he felt in love with me long time ago & when he found out i'm a transwoman it might not only killed his foolish fantasies away. U know, the manhood goes nuts when u can't accept the fact to be bi or homosexual. That's annoying issue with him & that is why he only is focused to beat me & he did by not playing me hardcore. He only kept it in the same way by playing me for only 1 map. With the table result (5 to 2) i'm sure he will be satisfied for a while. :D Pls don't tell him that women (even trans) dislike scaredy-cats such him. He knew he couldn't afford to stay any longer. Every vet knows that i never have been at maximum level right from the start. Endurance matters in sports. Not only fairness and a shakeshand for the matter of respect too. He lacks alot of it. He didn't grow.

I think u have grown Inode, if it is really u. As told it would be awesome to play u, the anime fan Osaka & Bot. But reallife goes on. I only could offer weekends, such at Fridays & Saturdays, beginning with latest possible time - 22.00 pm until the latest ending time - 1.00am -. Of course everything is in UTC. For u guys it would mean to play me at ur afternoons.

Sorry for the long roman but if i don't have a chance to play u i thought i will post back a long roman to read. Well, ...as u never would have written long essays. Hell man, u were famous with it. I shall give u one keyword to remember, ...what 'bout with blockwhore. That's what the real Inode did. :P

Kisses
Urs bunny in purplish bunnysuit.
Inode
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Inode »

NicolA.exe wrote: Kisses
Urs bunny in purplish bunnysuit.
Ugh.

- I