Servers

Tips & Tricks for DM/DA/LC
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Servers

Post by SweatyPyro »

Question: Is it possible to create a dedicated server that abstains from validating any CD Keys?

If so, then I have organized enough people to fill out 6 full Team Derez servers. (That's a lie)
!!!!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Servers

Post by TronFAQ »

While I don't condone the use of pirated versions of any game, even one as old as Tron 2.0 . . . if it means more people playing the game at this point, I'll answer the question. Since the servers are looking a little anemic these days.

But I won't ever help with finding cracks or providing CD keys to install the game. People are on their own there. I already help enough people who pirated the game, as it is. (I know that probably 80% of the questions or help requests I get are from people who didn't buy the game.)

Either in your router (if you have one) or your software firewall, on the computer running the Dedicated Server, you need to block communication using the UDP protocol on Port 29910 to the "master.gamespy.com" Gamespy server. If you're only allowed to type in an IP address on your router, the IP address for the Gamespy server is currently "207.38.11.174".

Since every router and software firewall is different, I'll leave it up to the individual to figure out how to do it in their specific router or firewall.

What will happen, is the Dedicated Server will attempt to validate players' CD keys when they join . . . but because the port to check CD keys on Gamespy's server has been blocked now, the Dedicated Server will just give up on checking the keys and allow players to connect anyway.

This might affect other games too, if they also use Gamespy.
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

I was digging all around for that info Tronfaq, thanks. Couldn't remember it.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Everyone please remember that you can't completely block communication to "master.gamespy.com". If you do that, you won't be able to get the Dedicated Server working at all. You only want to block UDP traffic going out on port 29910 to that server. The Dedicated Server uses that port to check CD keys with the Gamespy server.
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

Glad to hear it's possible. As for me....I couldn't be able to host at all. My servers never seem to actually make the list.

No worries, glad to know it's possible, perhaps somebody else will be able to make the adjustment. A friend and I were wishing to compete with some Cycle games.

Thanks, tronfaq.
!!!!
data_ghost
Registered users
Registered users

Post by data_ghost »

Aye, my servers never get on the list either. Let's hope it isn't gamespy slowly pulling it's support for tron 2.0 away... and can I request that someone could be kind enough to put a derez server up? There are one too many DA servers, methinks.
Read my NEW blog, fool!
http://iliketolaugh.tumblr.com/
Jademz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jademz »

What I encountered was that my router configuration that previously worked was obsolete for some reason.

I tried disabling my firewall, nothing. So what I did was - in my D-Link 4300 I had this setup previously:(multiple game servers)http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57 ... Rules0.png

This is what worked. I added a virtual server setting in the router:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk57 ... rRules.png

I didn't dig for info on why it changed, but it should be easy to figure out.. As long as your isp lets you host, that is. This made sense, to me, and worked, luckily.
SweatyPyro
Registered users
Registered users

Post by SweatyPyro »

Sorry for pushing this on you gentle and caring hosts, but is it possible for any of you to remove the CD Key Check on your servers? Honestly: I have no idea on how to access my router, so I wouldn't be able to do it myself.
!!!!