tronrose
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Master Gamespy list?

Post by tronrose »

How does one retrieve the Master Gamespy list for TRON 2.0? I see other game server browsers do it that are not associated with the gamespy network and I was wondering if anyone knew here how it's done.

I don't like to start the game and see if there's anyone around or not. It's kind of annoying... I'd rather just type in something where it displays the list of servers and their status.

Thanks in advance!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Re: Master Gamespy list?

Post by xistence »

As far as i know (because i wanted to program something based on GS once) GS offered/offers an API (Application Programming Interface) for developing applications using the protocol and functions GS has. I'm not quite sure if the protocol of GS itself is free or not, so someone can program his own version of a GS-Browser. The API itself, once, must be payed to be used (to get a license for it).

These informations are quite old and could be completly obsolete, and i'm might also not remember all facts correctly.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users

Post by tronrose »

Is it really that complicated?

I was hoping that it would be very simple like connecting to the network and just getting the list to output on the screen(like in the command line). Is it not that simple?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Long story short, no one is supposed to connect to Gamespy and retrieve a list of servers unless they pay for that "privilege". Disney and Monolith paid a fee to Gamespy, to allow Tron 2.0 to use their network. As do many other game developers.

Mind you, that hasn't stopped people, and there are a couple of tools that have been developed specifically for Tron 2.0 to get the server list.

One is Daddyo's Tron Link, but unfortunately I don't have a download link for that at the moment.

The other is my own alpha preview of REZ Handler 2.0. The only function that works in it right now is the server list feature, but that's exactly what you said you wanted. It gets a list of all the servers, and does pretty much everything the game's own server list feature does. Plus a bit more. It's not a command line tool, though. It uses a GUI.
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users

Post by tronrose »

How much was the fee for you to implement that into your alpha version of REZ Handler?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

I didn't pay anything. Like I said, having to pay a fee hasn't stopped people from connecting to Gamespy anyway. :D

I noticed that Gamespy's servers were down earlier today, though. Their quality of service has really gone downhill the last couple of years.
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users

Post by tronrose »

I see :)

Ok, I guess I'll do some research. Thanks for your input, both of you!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

If you're planning to program something, i would focus on 'gamespy protocol' (something like that, which is just a 'quick shot' in searching for these terms). The rest is upon you and your skills in programming with your preferred programming language and your knowledge about working with network communication, sockets, etc.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users

Post by tronrose »

No, I don't plan on writing anything. I wouldn't know where to start.

But, I found a program that does exactly what I am looking for: Gslist

The program uses the Gamespy master server, of course, and it supports over a thousand games including TRON 2.0. It also provides parameter switches including filtering and continuous looping so I can set the program to check the TRON 2.0 server list with 1 or more players every 5 minutes. I can also set it to output the list of servers on the screen or even to a text file. It uses about 3MB of memory. Very handy tool!

Here's what the command would look like for displaying servers with filters that are for the Disc Arena or Derez gametype, are not password protected and have 1 or more players in them:

Code: Select all

gslist -f "((gametype LIKE 'DiscArena' OR gametype LIKE 'Deathmatch') AND numplayers > 0 AND password = 0)" -n tron20 -o 5