schmatzler
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Running some Killer App Mod Servers

Post by schmatzler »

TronFAQ wrote:I don't think it's my place to tell you how to run your server.
Of course it is. I haven't played Tron in Multiplayer very often, so I think you've got more experience in what settings and gametypes etc. are the best ;)
You might want to rotate the type of gameplay every so often, from Derez (Deathmatch) to Disc Arena and Light Cycles.
It looks like this isn't possible without killing the server application and restarting it with another config. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I could run two separate servers with different gametypes, otherwise I would have to shutdown the server automatically which wouldn't be very fine if there is anyone playing on it.
The page on your site that shows the server's status, mentions to get v1.2 of the mod. But v1.1 is the current version, while v1.2 isn't available yet.
Sorry, my fault. Changed it to 1.1 :)

The server is back online now, although the problems at the datacenter are not fully resolved. I hope it stays that way and they are not shutting it down again.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

There still seems to be a problem with your server. If you visit the status page at http://hirnschwund.net/?s=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says the server is online. But, it doesn't show up in the list of Tron 2.0 servers on Gamespy.
schmatzler
Registered users
Registered users

Post by schmatzler »

That's strange. Last time I checked it was showing up.

Maybe its a port issue. I opened all ports for Tron 2.0 which are listed here, but there is also another Lithtech server running which may interfere with TRON.

I think I will resolve that issue very soon as it was working before (: I will also open up a second server with another gametype - resources are still in a good state for running a second one.

Edit: Runs. I made a typo in the final firewall configuration. __o-o

Edit2: Second server is up. Status is shown here: http://hirnschwund.net/?s=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Tz)

Its a lightrace server. Everyone below Ping 350 cannot enter - maybe it blocks some of you U.S. users out, but Lightrace with high ping isn't very funny I think.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

schmatzler wrote:Its a lightrace server. Everyone below Ping 350 cannot enter - maybe it blocks some of you U.S. users out, but Lightrace with high ping isn't very funny I think.
That's definitely a good idea. I used to play Light Cycles sometimes on a server where I got a ping of 160, and it was barely playable. Any higher than that and there's no point.

Sometimes there are ping spikes, depending on a person's connection, and the player's ping will of course temporarily shoot up. If you set the ping too low, the server will kick someone off the instant they go over the limit. So setting the ping to around 300 or so, like you have, will prevent people from being kicked.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

With the release of deeahchur's new YCP HQ map, I'll continue to run the map on its own server for a couple of weeks so people can easily try it out.

After a couple of weeks, I'll move it into the map rotation of the DM server as the first map on the list.

The map is available both on its own, and as part of an updated Complete Map Pack. More details and a download link in this topic.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

The LDSO servers experienced some lengthy down time this weekend. The router that the server PC is hooked up to decided to die last night. So I had to go out and buy a new router for it.

On the plus side: while the older router was pretty good for the time when it was purchased, this new one is a beast. There may actually be some performance improvement for players connecting to the servers. Maybe slightly better pings and/or a more fluid experience.

I'm still tinkering with the setup, to see if maybe I can squeeze a bit more performance out of it. Like prioritizing game traffic vs. other kinds of traffic. Stuff like that.
schmatzler
Registered users
Registered users

Post by schmatzler »

I can see good things going on at http://tron-servers.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - people are adding new servers from time to time.

Sadly, my two servers remain the only ones that are online 24/7.

I fiddled a lot with my server in the last days and I also made some changes to the website, e.g. cosmetics like giving this forum the credit it deserves. Also when adding a server you only need to specify one port now.

Additionally, my machine is running absolutely awesome now - I have 3 instances of Lithtech game servers and two Unreal Engine servers running and most of the time the machine is idling between 10-20%.

I consider activating a third Tron 2.0 server with all of the custom maps that are out there, to get more interest in this thing started.

Have a good year 2014 :)
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Nice job on your site! Nice server adding feature too.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

schmatzler wrote:I consider activating a third Tron 2.0 server with all of the custom maps that are out there, to get more interest in this thing started.
Cool, hope you do it! T-)
Have a good year 2014 :)
You too. Td)

Thanks for mentioning our forum, BTW!