ldso://re:design/da/DISCARENA01

All about Maps, Mods & Creating them
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

ldso://re:design/da/DISCARENA01

Post by xistence »

A current map-project: DISCARENA01 re-designed. In progress...

ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Re: ldso://re:design/da/DISCARENA01

Post by tronrose »

Looks great! :)
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Very nice & suprising, I always liked that map.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

This is a beta release : http://www.xistenceimaginations.de/dl/l ... 1_beta.zip

IMPORTANT:
- as beta release, this version won't be compatible with future version. Follow this thread to be informed about an update.
- a few things still have to be done: some textures, optimize geometry, change box-design, change ring-design
- this map is not optimized and not checked about performance, so it can be laggy.

Any feedback would be important (errors, gaps, glitches, disfunctional elements). If you want to see this map as final version, any feedback is appreciated.

INSTALLATION:
If not done already, change into the directory of your Tron-Installation (example: 'c:\program files\buena vista interactive\tron 2.0'). Make sure there is a directory 'custom', and inside of this, a directory 'resources'. Unzip the content of the downloaded ZIP into 'resources', so you can find a file 'ldso_discarena01_beta.rez' in there afterwards. Now you can start the game and play the map.
blog
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Looks pretty cool. I haven't found someone to play it yet so haven't been in the ring, but has an interesting floor light reflection, looked like floor plates with slight angular joints & tilts to give it that effect? Might be a little too reflective but could be my graphics settings. Do you plan to detail the rings?

I imagine you had to do this all from scratch? The waiting area blocks are really nice. I wonder if it's possible to put a floating ring in the waiting area with players names like in Legacy, instead of the four ceiling tilt screens?

For those checking it out, if you hand edit your server *.txt file to get this map loaded make sure you name the map "LDSO_DISCARENA01_BETA". The name is too long to view in the Tron 2.0 GUI to see what it's called.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Daddyo wrote:Looks pretty cool. I haven't found someone to play it yet so haven't been in the ring, but has an interesting floor light reflection, looked like floor plates with slight angular joints & tilts to give it that effect?
If you're speaking about the spectator area: just some env-bumpmapping. The rings are using cube-mapping. And yes, the rings might be a bit to shiny, but i'm planning to lower that.
Daddyo wrote:Do you plan to detail the rings?
(Maybe) adding some 'structures' via bumpmapping as well.
Daddyo wrote:I imagine you had to do this all from scratch?
In the end, none of the origin geometry really lasts, everything was rebuild, just using the same (or nearly same) sizes/dimensions/proportions as the origin map.
Daddyo wrote:I wonder if it's possible to put a floating ring in the waiting area with players names like in Legacy, instead of the four ceiling tilt screens?
Well, that's a nice idea. Surely not with the current names of players, but something similar or faked. I'll think through this for the final release. Thanks for the input!
Daddyo wrote:For those checking it out, if you hand edit your server *.txt file to get this map loaded make sure you name the map "LDSO_DISCARENA01_BETA". The name is too long to view in the Tron 2.0 GUI to see what it's called.
Just to say, it shouldn't stay that way. I was just try to name it in a way, that the final map will be incompatible, so no one will play with different version. Right now, i'm thinking about a sensbile naming convention for maps, which should be some more handy, and keeping respect about different versions and authors.
blog
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Release candidate available (download here)

Just a few minor things to do, most just textures, a bit optimizing here and there, and reducing file sizes. Rest is done, except possible bugs you might find.

I changed the center of the spectator area. As i wasn't fine with the boxes, i created something more 'X-like'. And i added something based on the suggestion from Daddyo (thx for that idea, buddy).

Screens:
blog
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

I took a peek at both versions of the map, though I wasn't able to play in the arenas yet.

The only thing you might want to look into changing is the environment map on the floor. It just stands out too much, in my humble opinion. It's very distracting as you walk. Could use some toning down a bit. I think the same environment map is used on the rings you can walk on in the center, but it looks better there.

I'm just nit-picking, really. Other than that, it looks terrific. Whenever you decide it's finished, I will add it to the Complete Map Pack if that's okay with you.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

tronfaq wrote:It just stands out too much, in my humble opinion. It's very distracting as you walk.
I'll have a look on that, tho it never turns out that much for me. But you're already the second one, saying this, so i'll check this.
tronfaq wrote:Whenever you decide it's finished, I will add it to the Complete Map Pack if that's okay with you.
When things turn out right, and i can make it in time, then maybe we'll (hopefully) never need mappacks, or hugh distributions for small patches, again.
But if it takes too long time until i finished it, then for the first yes, i'm fine with it, if you add it to the package.
blog
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

Wow - that's a real twist (literally) on the ramp in the center floor, looks real nice.

I agree the floor is distracting, looks great but my eyes are on it too much, almost too reflective?

I was guessing you might actually put up the ol' ficticious Tron Legacy arena "LDSO" and other names in the center ring you added. If you were to do so, would it be possible to keyframe the name plaques so they appear to be in a rotating ring?
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Daddyo wrote:I agree the floor is distracting, looks great but my eyes are on it too much, almost too reflective?
Yeah, i'll go to change that. It is not the reflection at all, more that the saturation of the CubeMap, used for the env-effect, needs to be lowered, as it seems in the end.
Daddyo wrote:I was guessing you might actually put up the ol' ficticious Tron Legacy arena "LDSO" and other names in the center ring you added. If you were to do so, would it be possible to keyframe the name plaques so they appear to be in a rotating ring?
I'll have a look about the keyframing. The problem about this is, that it can be choppy, and doing it via Fx makes the map a mod. But i have some plans in that direction what you mention, so we'll see. But we can be sure, it would look nice enough tho.

Hopefully, i can make the final release version this weekend, around sunday evening or so, but we have to see. At least, i'll keep everyone informed about it here and @ tron-sector.
blog
Jizaboz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jizaboz »

Looks good. I'll try to give your next version a whirl.
Jizaboz

HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

I just noticed this post an checked it out. INCREDIBLE improvements X! I [LOVE] it!

Keep up the great work!
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!