[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

TRON 2.0 Self-Installing Editing Tools

Post by TronFAQ »

Download it from here

The TRON 2.0 Editing Tools have always been a pain to install, especially for new users. For a long time, I've been wanting to do something about it. So recently I found some time to put together a program that installs the tools for you.

The program installs the Editing Tools, released Prefabs, and some extras like: additional documentation from other Monolith games (some useful info in them that isn't in the TRON 2.0 tools documentation), video tutorials made by me long ago to get you started, WinREZ LT Studio, XN Resource Editor, and some community-made prefabs.

During the installation, the program will extract game assets from TRON 2.0 that you'll need to do any editing. These assets take up about 2.5 GB on your hard drive, and they take a while to extract. Please be patient during the extraction process and WAIT until it's finished. You'll see several windows open and close during this time. Just let the program do its work without interruption.

You can decide whether you want to install WinREZ LT and XN Resource Editor or not, by either going through with their installation or canceling them at the start as each launches. I recommend you install both. But during the installation of WinREZ, choose a Custom install. When you get to choose the components to be installed, I recommend not picking ResEdit. Use XN Resource Editor instead.

Also, if you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, don't install the WinREZ Shell Extensions. They only work on 32-bit versions of Windows. So generally on XP you are fine, but on Vista and 7 you'll need to check to see if you're using a 64-bit version. If WinREZ wants to install to "C:\Program Files (x86)", then you are using a 64-bit version of Windows. If there's no "(x86)", you are using a 32-bit version.

XN Resource Editor is meant for editing the CRES.DLL file, which is where all the text for the game is kept. After you open the CRES.DLL file in XN, click the plus sign "+" beside "String Table" and then the plus beside each number to see a table of text which you can click on. Then you can either edit existing text, or add a new text line.
win3k
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Re: TRON 2.0 Self-Installing Editing Tools

Post by win3k »

Morning chaps

Nice work, T. Hopefully, we'll see some more creative types get into map making, now.

Cheers

win3k
ldso://win3k - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
Jizaboz
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Jizaboz »

Impressive tool! This makes getting back into Tron 2.0 editing a lot less of a pain. Thanks.
Jizaboz

TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

In preparation for the LDSO TRON 2.0 Wiki, which will eventually combine an updated version of the TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ together with Mapping and Modding tutorials, I've updated the Editing Tools to v1.1.

Changes from v1.0
  • Installer now checks online to see if a newer version is available.
  • Any error messages that occur during install are now detailed, instead of simple ones that don't really explain what's wrong.
  • Will warn if a previous version of the tools is installed. Although you should cancel and uninstall any previous version first, the installer will allow you to continue if you say yes.
  • Added documentation and tutorial videos from the FEAR editing tools. Although these include a lot of information that does not apply to TRON 2.0, some of it is still useful.
  • Added LTDMTest tool. This lets you test or listen to music outside of the game.
  • Added .LTA Exporter plugin for Blender. This only allows you to export static .LTA model props.

Same download link as before. I'll repeat it below.

Download TRON 2.0 Self-Installing Editing Tools v1.1

For anyone who has map or mod projects in-progress: I suggest making a backup of your Game folder first, before installing this updated version. The installer will extract all the files again, which could overwrite changes you've made in the Game folder for your project.

If you make a backup of your Game folder, you can later copy the backup over top of the newly created one.

I'll put in an option in the next version of the tools to skip the extraction process if you've already got a Game folder from before. As well as add any additional prefabs that are released. (If the authors permit me to.)
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

VERY nice job FAQ! I love the update check added in. An the previewing the music is a JOY to use!
All we really need now is a fan altered/updated version of Dedit that incorporates all of the new LDSO Killer app stuff an we will be GOLDEN

Big pat on the back n thanks for this release FAQ!
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Hmm, yeah I've been debating an option to allow extracting files from the KA mod for use with DEdit and the rest of the tools. That would allow you to create maps that could take advantage of some of the additions in the mod, like the new characters.

The problem is, anything you make from then on would pretty much only work properly for people who have KA. Like, for example, Z's Electronic Cave map was designed for KA. It still works without it, but not the way it should. The Energy Claw is missing without KA.

I thought I'd share something I discovered recently. There's a way to test your maps in Mutliplayer modes from DEdit. Makes life a bit easier, so you don't have to copy your files (map, INFO.TXT, textures, sounds) from the Game folder to the Custom folder all the time.

In DEdit, go to Edit > Options > click the Run tab. In Program Arguments, delete:

Code: Select all

+runworld "%WorldName%"
Now, you'll have to move your map .LTA/.LTC/.TBW, .DAT, and INFO.TXT from the WORLDS folder to the appropriate one that suits your map. So if it's LC, move it to WORLDS\RETAILLIGHTCYCLE. Move DA files to WORLDS\RETAILMULTIPLAYER\DISCARENA. Move DM files to WORLDS\RETAILMULTIPLAYER\DEATHMATCH.

This, unfortunately, means your map will get mixed in with the ones from the game. But it's necessary in order for this to work.

Now, when you click the Run World button in DEdit, instead of launching directly into the map you'll get the game's main menu. From there, you can go to Multiplayer > Host > pick the right Game Type > Add your map > Launch to test it.

I recommend this only for testing Multiplayer maps. For Single Player maps, put back the part from the Program Arguments in DEdit that you deleted.

Now you won't have to constantly copy all your map files from the Game folder to the Custom folder, every time you update your map and then want to test it. And the map will function correctly, rather than have features not working because it was being run in Single Player mode.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Hate to say it FAQ, but I "personally" would be fine with maps having a "Killer APP must be installed requirement" anymore. Here is a couple reasons why I feel it would be ok to do so...

1. Most important Reason = The Killer APP mod/patch has been out long enough that anyone who knows about TRON 2.0 uses it or knows where it is to be obtained.
2. It adds so much to the Multiplayer game as is...there is pretty much NO downside.
3. ITS FREAKIN AWSOME!
4. See reason 3.
5 -[selfish reason]- an I wanna place sark on my carriers bridge standing at the interface, lol

As for the requirements tho, bypass ppl getting annoyed by just making a page on the wiki or make a stickied post here that shows copyable map information for everyone's .txt file that would be included with there file zip/rar/7zip/etc.
This info ppl copy an fill in black section on would have the install information/requirements such as - install location DIR, patch version, etc.
This would be included as a simple read me .txt file with map files when we download them labled as

[Example]

=======================================================================

Installation READ ME.TXT

TRON 2.0 Game Requirements:__[example-Default TRON 2.0/or/ Killer APP Mod, + patched to TRON 2.0 "Unnoficial" v1x042ceng] __

Installation Directory:__ [example- C:/ whatever] ___________
Installation NOTES:__ [example- If you installed to the "DEFAULT" install location please extract all files to your "C:\Program Files\Buena Vista Interactive\Tron 2.0\Custom\Resources" directory. IF you installed to a custom directory then please find the appropriate folder in your custom TRON 2.0 Install directory an move these files there. Thank You and ENJOY!]____

Map name:___ [example- Hangman HD Sark Carrier] _________________
Map Creator:____[example- Hangman.EXE]______________

Location to obtain TRON 2.0 Official Patchs "if required": _____[example- Http://http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2010 ... r8X7D2VpkY]____________
Location to obtain TRON 2.0 UNOFFICIAL Patch "if required": _____[example- Http://http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2010 ... r8X7D2VpkY]____________
Location to obtain TRON 2.0 Killer APP Mod "if required": _____[example- Http://http://tronfaq.blogspot.com/2010 ... r8X7D2VpkY]____________

Possible-
Final map processing info:____________________

================================================================

I mean lets face it if you play any big pc games with mods, thats how they all do it anymore for mods.

...an also; really hate this part; there are so few of us that still play/mess with TRON 2.0 modding what is it really gonna matter at this point? I mean any real TRON 2.0 or TRON fan still into this game will download as much as possible to add to a TRON game anyway.

...seriously.

The Dedit testing with that method should be saved for the wiki also, thats a VERY nice trick FAQ!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Awesome!

You have my permission regarding prefabs!

Say, can we have a new folder made and install prefabricated elements (different from the regular PREFABS)?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Same goes for everything I have uploaded before now and ANYTIME after this that is a finished version of anything I am building.

P.S FAQ you may wanna check out this thread post discussion currently goin on between X an me...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1173

..he has an idea in works atm about an auto updating program for his Map X-MDK that will let us enable and disable addons/files at will.
If this can be made to include a way to link to files for downloading maps/mods directly into the program "such as Killer APP mod, that would be an even better workaround and basically green light a Dedit update to include all of the Killer APP stuff into it.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

That would be kinda like Curse or the now defunct Carbonite addon manager used for World of Warcraft. This would be a very handy addition!

I have a thought on the appearance to look like the subroutine screen.
Downloading visuals could emulate the downloading in Tron 2.0.

Other ideas formulating . . . the possibilities . . . but we probably need some source code for some better implementation of such a manager to turn things on and off.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Just as a FYI to everyone: AVG anti-virus is falsely flagging files from the tools installer as a virus and quarantining them, which leads to the tools not working properly. The same thing happens if you download and try to install WinREZ LT Studio by itself (which I made part of the tools installer).

The solution is to either stop using AVG and switch to another anti-virus solution that doesn't have such a poor track record with false positives, or check the AVG quarantine (they call it the Virus Vault) and mark all the quarantined files as safe.

Don't want to take my word for it that the tools are safe? Do a Google search for AVG false positive, and see how bad AVG has become for yourself. At one point, AVG flagged Malwarebytes as a trojan. LOL! :P

http://www.google.com/search?q=avg+false+positive

Thanks to HangmanEXE for his help in determining AVG was causing problems.

deeahchur wrote:Say, can we have a new folder made and install prefabricated elements (different from the regular PREFABS)?
Yup, I can do that next time. Once the Wiki goes live, and folks have had a chance to make some.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

I can confirm this as well, as it blocks about 55% of the tools being installed, then if it does complete the install it will "automatically" block WINREZ LT Studio without asking. This will happen with every version of the program [I tried each up to and including the newest version available directly on Black Angel Studios site for Winrez.

As per FAQ's recommendations I got a copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus to replace my trouble-making M.C.P. powered AVG, lol.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus seems to be a "VERY" nice Anti-VIRUS program! I also recommend this myself!

But if your cash is still very tight atm with Christmas so close around the corner; also THE BEST [FREE] Anti-VIRUS program right under NOD32 is Microsoft Security Essentials then followed closely by Avast.

ENJOY all.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Hey FAQ, here is a tutorial you can add.

This is a offline .doc version of MODMAKERS AVP2 Dedit Tutorials. It has a few tidbits of good info. I felt it needed grabbed in case the site ever went down.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2dk ... a1VYRHNUQw
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Hmm, yeah, I thought about including that AvP2 stuff, but decided against it before. Because too much of it is specific to AvP2 and doesn't apply to Tron 2.0. Though now that you've brought it up, I might cherry pick a few things that are generic enough to apply to all Lithtech games. Like the skinning tutorial. Honestly, though, it would be better to put the useful stuff in the Wiki and attribute each item to its original source.

I also considered linking to or including stuff from Coty's site, but most of it also does not apply to Tron 2.0.

Weylerworks is pretty much the only site left with a lot of good DEdit tutorials, free tool suggestions, and links. There used to be more sites, but they shut down. Weylerworks has links to pages from those old sites in the Wayback Machine, though.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

tronfaq wrote:There used to be more sites, but they shut down.

Well that was the only reason that I decided to put it all to a DOC, as I am also a big AVP fan, so I fig'd knowing it wouldnt hurt, as I might discover somethin that might apply to TRON 2.0 still that isnt listed at some point.
...plus too many great Dedit sites are now simply gone, jsut didnt want to see all that info disappear for good.