clearsteel
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Blue
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Struggling through blender imports

Post by clearsteel »

I have been working in blender for a while, developing geometries that I would like to put in a map. I go through the process of converting/importing, and am able to get the object in the map, but I have not been able to resize it. I understand that it doesn't matter what scale I build it in in blender, as it is all relative. But I have been unable to do any size modifications in DEdit. I think I must be missing something simple on this one, but I was curious to find out if there are others that have utilized blender for 3D models. I would also appreciate finding out how many others use blender when developing for DEdit. I have a fear that I might need to spend some serious money on a 3d program in order to go much further with level development.
tronrose
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Disc Arena

Re: Struggling through blender imports

Post by tronrose »

There's no reason that I can think of that would prevent you from editing any geometry whatsoever. DEdit is the only map editor I know of that will let you create geometry from scratch.

I've never imported geometry before, but I'm pretty confident that most of the game's geometry was imported, and you can alter that geometry with the maps they've provided with the tools. Imported Geometry, or at least the recognizers, for instance, are a group of brushes combined as one.

You know about Geometry and Brush Edit modes, right?
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

In what format are you exporting your geometry from Blender, clearsteel? Is it .OBJ?

Although I've never used the .OBJ importing feature in DEdit, my understanding is that it's somewhat unreliable. You might be better off using a plug-in for Blender that someone created, that will allow you to export directly to the .LTA format. It's available from my files page.

After loading the .LTA in DEdit you can select the geometry, right click in one of the viewports, go to Selection, and then Scale Selection to resize everything.

Blender should be fine for creating static meshes: like level geometry, and some objects. But it can't be used to create character models or anything that has animation, due to the limitations of the exporter plug-in. For that, you'd really need 3DSMax or Maya and the plug-ins that come with the Tron 2.0 tools. Unfortunately, the plug-ins were designed for very old versions of 3DSMax and Maya. They won't work with recent versions.
clearsteel
Registered users
Registered users

Post by clearsteel »

Thanks for the input. Yes, I was trying to convert a .obj file and convert it, and was unaware of any written scripts to do the change to .lta in blender. I will look into that. I am familiar with geometries and how animations cannot be done (at least not character moves . . . opening door motions and shifts around the map in fixed motions with no geometry changes should be doable, but until I can import the geometries, the rest of the questions are moot.) Again, thanks for the help. I will look into the blender plugin.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

Ah, crap. It's been so long since I looked at that Blender plug-in script, that I forgot it was only good for creating non-animated prop geometry for ModelEdit. Not world geometry for DEdit.

But Blender can export to both .DXF and .STL formats, and one of our LDSO team members created a tool to convert from those to .LTA world format for use in DEdit. I'm sure he won't mind if I post a download link to it.

http://ldso.net/downloads/LDSO2LTA_RT.zip

This tool might prove more helpful.
clearsteel
Registered users
Registered users

Post by clearsteel »

I will look into that new tool this upcoming week. Thanks much for the reply.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

I don't suppose there is any progress in the character modeling department for Tron 2.0?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."