Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Is this possible??

Post by HangmanEXE »

Greetings Programs

I have been revisiting all my previous ideas for my map an had one that frankly I wanted to ask about. I have a LightCycle with an attached light trail beginning attached to the rear of the bike, and I was curious if it is possible to create my idea below in my TDM/DM map "WITHOUT" making my map become a mod?

...I understand that this may or may not be obvious, but I cant member what the standard map type's limits were for sure, since it has been so long since I got to work with Dedit. So I felt that I should just ask ppl who would know for sure.

[Crosses fingers]

Since I suck an explaining things well. Here is an illustration of my idea below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Re: Is this possible??

Post by HangmanEXE »

Or a variation of this. Just have the trailing parts slowly lower back down after so long, so that the match continues forever during the TDM/DM duration.

But again, I am not even sure if this is possible as a standard map or not.

[Edit]- If at all possible, could someone please refresh me as to where the cutoff points are for what is and IS NOT possible in a standard map without making it become a mod?
I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

It might be possible to fake what you want to do with the trail, without turning it into a mod. The only way I could see it working, is placing a ton of triggers like invisible walls on the grid. Four rectangles on each grid square, depending on which direction the player enters the grid square from. As the player drives through each wall trigger, there's a delay before a trail piece rises from the floor. There would have to be two pieces sitting under each grid square that rise up. One facing horizontally and one vertically. Which piece rises depends on which direction the player drove into the square.

The pieces won't actually be part of the trail, just made to look that way. Also, the trail length would have to be set as short as possible on the server.

It won't be easy. A lot of work. But doable, I think. The only catch is getting rid of the trail sections when a player dies. Not sure how that could be accomplished, at this point. Need to think about it some more. Or maybe someone else has a suggestion. You might just have to have them sink down again automatically after some time, whether or not the player has died. The trail pieces also won't match each player's color. You'd just have to choose one neutral color for everyone.

As for what's possible without turning something into a mod. Well, long story short, as long as you want to add certain new content you're fine. New textures and sounds. But if you want to change existing content or do anything more complex: it either needs to be a mod, or has to be faked somehow. With some brainstorming and/or unorthodox thought, one might be able to find a workaround to avoid creating a mod. The earlier solution for the trail is an example of that. :D
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

tronfaq wrote:It might be possible to fake what you want to do with the trail, without turning it into a mod. The only way I could see it working, is placing a ton of triggers like invisible walls on the grid. Four rectangles on each grid square, depending on which direction the player enters the grid square from. As the player drives through each wall trigger, there's a delay before a trail piece rises from the floor. There would have to be two pieces sitting under each grid square that rise up. One facing horizontally and one vertically. Which piece rises depends on which direction the player drove into the square.

The pieces won't actually be part of the trail, just made to look that way. Also, the trail length would have to be set as short as possible on the server.

It won't be easy. A lot of work. But doable, I think.
OH! this isnt going to be a lightcycle map! Its gonna be a Derez style TDM/DM playable map. I had just planned to have a faked lightcycle arena match going on under the players in an area with the Tron crystal seethru floors in one area for extra depth to the map. An sadly since the B.Vista decided to not share how they did some things in the single player game with us, like this for example; I will have to fake it somehow. An this is all that I could come up with...

hmmm... it had not occurred to me to try to make a DRIVE ABLE LightCycle in a shooter style TDM map. But I gotta say that its a HELL OF AN IDEA! lol
[imagines players cruising along as other ppl take shots at ya cycle...very cool idea]

[Puts that one down for DEFINITE later use, lol]
tronfaq wrote:The only catch is getting rid of the trail sections when a player dies. Not sure how that could be accomplished, at this point. Need to think about it some more. Or maybe someone else has a suggestion. You might just have to have them sink down again automatically after some time, whether or not the player has died. The trail pieces also won't match each player's color. You'd just have to choose one neutral color for everyone.
Well, as for that since its just a background item for appearances, I had just planned to make the trails only so long, an like you said. Just have the trailing pieces lower back down after a set time. That way the faked below match would continue indefinitely untill TDM/DM above had been won/finished.
Last edited by HangmanEXE on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Ah, okay. Just for show in DM/TDM. In that case, if the idea was to prolong LC matches: you could set the Light Cycle AI behavior to "wander" or "avoid" and they would rarely crash into each other's trails if you made the grid big enough. Though the effect you wanted to implement would add a new twist.

Regarding players riding Light Cycles in DM/TDM maps. Unfortunately, they can't. Only LC AI work. If you try to switch the players to riding on Light Cycles, nothing happens.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

tronfaq wrote:Regarding players riding Light Cycles in DM/TDM maps. Unfortunately, they can't. Only LC AI work. If you try to switch the players to riding on Light Cycles, nothing happens.
CRAP! lol. Oh well, was a cool idea anyway FAQ. :)
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Yeah, sorry. Thought you were talking about making a Light Cycle map for players to ride around in.

The game engine limitations are frustrating sometimes. There can be creative ways around those limits, but not in this case. The source, the source . . . my kingdom for the source. LOL.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

I am suprised that none of you guys here at LDSO have not tried to request the source since the game is now so old. An frankly ANYONE worth their weight in pixels KNOWS that LDSO is the best TRON 2.0 fan group out there. SERIOUSLY!

Ya, I basically was wanting to create that stage effect like in game when we are retrieving our disc from the Kernels tower an we can see that lightcycle match happening below.

[sigh]... I will scrub that for the map for now anyway, since it was only eyecandy an wasnt REALLY relevant to the map.

I will experiment with that "faked" match an see how it comes out. I will let ya know how it goes.

BTW FAQ, have you seen Zook or Layer recently? I sent Layer a new email asking about that sark carrier I had asked about; an sent Zook one about the recognizer cockpit; but still no reply, or that its been even read by either.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

HangmanEXE wrote:I am suprised that none of you guys here at LDSO have not tried to request the source since the game is now so old.
We did, but admittedly it was years ago. It ended with Disney essentially telling us to go away. That was after they got our hopes up by promising to discuss the issue.
BTW FAQ, have you seen Zook or Layer recently? I sent Layer a new email asking about that sark carrier I had asked about; an sent Zook one about the recognizer cockpit; but still no reply, or that its been even read by either.
In the case of Layer, I haven't talked to him for quite a while. I need to drop him a line again, to see how he's doing! 8-)

Z is very busy right now. I'm actually waiting on a reply from him about something myself, heh. You might have to wait a while. I think he logs in here roughly once a week. Maybe I'm wrong. But like I said, I know he's got a lot of things to do right now.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

AH! So thats an OLD complaint huh?! lol Gotta say, that I am VERY sorry to hear that it didnt work out way back then, just imagine what could have been developed with that source code.... OMG...
[drools at possibilities].

...[stunned]...
Sorry to hear that Zook is havin to deal with so much at one time! No worries about contactin Z over it or anything. The recognizer thing can wait for a bit anyway as it wasnt a major issue that was needed ASAP or anything.
An if ya talk to him anytime soon, please tell Z that we all hope things get a little easier for'em in the near future.

I hope things with Layer are better than Z's situation atm, an I hope things are well with them on there end.