xMDK

All about Maps, Mods & Creating them
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

xMDK

Post by xistence »

I'm planning to build up a package, a 'map development kit', basically filled with prefabs that should help to build some stuff. Right now i use the chance, while working on a map, to work out the stuff in the map as prefabs. One thing i have to clear and define is, how to distribute and update that stuff, but something is progress there.
A few prefabs are already in a beta state:

ImageImageImageImage
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: xMDK

Post by deeahchur »

Very awesome. Definitely superb!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

EXCELLENT news X! I "EXTREMELY" look forward to this "prefab'd" building kit. That alone will def. increase the look of maps all across the board.

[Stands an gives a golf clap for X]

:)
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Update on the prefabs for the xMDK

ImageImageImageImage

Some screen, showing the prefabs 'in action'

ImageImageImageImageImage

Some pre-information about the xMDK:
- It will be planned as 'as it is'
- It is planned to extend and update this package. For that, a few restictions must be defined, not following these will break features like updates or patching (in a technical way). But more details will follow
- It is planned to build an application, which will act as 'distribution platform'. No spyware or comparable, only an application cappable to download some stuff and to keep it updated. Basically, most of the work there is done already, there is only the question for enough space to store all data for the xMDK.
- It is planned to include prefabs from other creators as well, but again, a few restrictions has to be made, so the style, the preformance and the usability can be kept for this MDK. More information should follow.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Great resources X! They look awesome!

Are there any diagonal roads to connect to those corner pieces?

Your rounded pieces, do they have all their points on the grid?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote:Are there any diagonal roads to connect to those corner pieces?
Yup.
deeahchur wrote:Your rounded pieces, do they have all their points on the grid?
Definitely not, but points-off-grid are low and most exports from 3DSMax are Maya might created tons of points-off-grid. They are not critical, they might just increase a bit the filesize of the final map. Only thing you have to pay attention on, is the fact that points off grid -can- lead to other more critical problems, but as long you build such things nicely and you know what you do, they won't be a real problem.
And as i prebuild and optimize all prefabs, they can be used out-of-the-box, so you don't need to worry about points-off-grid there, only in your own map geometry.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Cool. Good to know.

For the most part I feel confident with the base forms I create. I just need to make sure there are no T-Junctions.

I really like the way you have broken apart the main forms you are using in your map, and it gives me an idea on how to proceed with mine and test little sections to make sure I like them before making a big project out of it, only to find out later that it won't work.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote: and it gives me an idea on how to proceed with mine and test little sections to make sure I like them before making a big project out of it, only to find out later that it won't work
Absolutely. The good thing about prefabs is not only the fact, that they can be reused. As 'world' (what prefabs actually are), you can still use the level debugger and all other stuff. And as long you use such prefabs, and cleared that they are fine, bug tracking in a map can be redically improved.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Absolutely, X! I've actually been using the level debugger with some of the pieces I have started, and it has helped immensely! What happens most for me is points-off-grid. :P
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Same here. Now that I am doing this all right, I seem to only have issues with points off grid as well. This map development kit will be a major boost to map making. I look forward to its release very much, an what the eventually end product will be as X continues getting ideas for things to throw into this map Development Kit.

Keep up the great work X!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

X, would you be willing to give a small tutorial on how you accomplish the glassy look and the glows that show through the glass? Are you using double-faced polies?

I'm asking, because I have an idea for a set of datablocks, and I want them to be glassy and show glow lines on certain raised surfaces. If I work it normally, those glows will only be seen from one side, relatively speaking. I don't want to say too much, because I want to build and share it first.

I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote:a small tutorial
This is the problem, it is not done in a just few steps, so it would be a longer tutorial. But when the stuff is shared, you can see how it was done. Basic elements to name: Double-sided polies (in some cases) and evironment-bump-map.

For xMDK:
So far i managed my application to work better then expected, progress was good so far. I have to solve a problem with proxy access, if i'm able to do that, then xMDK might be good solution for the mod problem in the game. Because:
- REZ-files might not be needed anymore -> no more limitation because of the REZ-files
- Turning on/off mods, in a folder like TCDG, shouldn't be a problem anymore. More then that: you could build your personal 'playlists' of mixed mods you want to use, and turning all these mods on/off can be done in one easy (automated) step. No more confusing or fiddeling around with files. Except of merge problems (same edited file in two mods), mods should be easily be mixable.
- The xMDK-app (name is 'xStream') will do all updates (including self-update), and it will updated just files! So no d/l of archives, no unpacking, no patching. Saves time and space
- A few, useful switches and settings for the theme 'editing' should also be included (integrate xMDK, turn on/off HUD in game for screenshots, bla bla)

This all might sounds intresting, and most of the technical stuff works already, but it has to be approved under different circumstanes and systems, plus i have to grab for a location where all mods can be stored in a central place (right now i'm testing on my own space, which is limited). A place with more the 2-3 GB would be needed, and a few server-side app are needed as well, so i need to find a good solution as well. at least i need SSH access at some level, this is not provided everywhere.
Maybe i'm going to pre-release just a packed version of the resources, in cases the app takes more time then awaited.
blog
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

DANG X! WOW!
If this would allow ppl to download everything out there including the LDSO Killer APP Mod in a single folder an just enable an disable at will... then this would fix the issue ppl had with having to go get mods an patches an FAQ could go ahead with his idea for a Dedit upgrade! This might fix several problems at one time!

Someone [PLZ] throw FAQ a line an point him at this thread!I would love to see what he thinks about this in regards to the Dedit upgrade idea discussed on that other thread here.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Some first impressions of the application. For those who might be disappointed about missing fancy stuff or non-tronish style:
'xStream' will be 'content distribution platform', its use is not limited to Tron2.0 and/or the modding of games alone, as example: i plan to use it to distrubute some other programs of mine later on.
So it comes along as an application which can also be use for Tron2.0, but not only. Maybe i will implement some theme/skinning option, but this is a 'nice to have'.
xStream is scalable, and so will be extended over the time. It is also dynamic, so it can be 'fit' to specific needs.

Features:
- Autoupdate of the own application - implemented, not fully tested (so like auto restart of the application)
- Automated update on content - implemented, tested
- Setting up 'mod'-/'content-mixture-list' - implemented, tested
- Versioning of content - implemented, a few task still open, not fully tested, but ok so far
- Rollback option, if mods or contents got an misleading update - implemented, tested
- Merging of mods, modifying same files - implemented, not fully tested, but ok so far
- Option to access and use Windows Registry (to offer options to change settings for Dedit, etc) - implemented, tested
- Flat, but complex information storage for config and settings - implemented, tested
- Network access to content repository system - implemented, tested, one task about proxies open
- Upload for content - on list, but not planned to soon
- Skinning - on list, but not planned to soon

Content planned:
- Prefab documents (for release)
- Tutotrials (later)
- References (later)
- Options to modify settings/configuration of apps, so to make easier configuration or setups, like preparing Dedit to work correctly (for release)
- Mod-managing (later)

That said, here some screens:

Shows the content-tree (left), and a list of content provided by the selected tree item. Selecting a tree entry will show all entries of this node and all child nodes (cumulative).

Same as above, but here a document is shown, related to the selected list entry

Left-hand the config-section is open, options (to, for example, modify some registry settings) can be directly acivated/deactivated here, simple and easy
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

eXcellent progress, X!

Hearing more about what you have in mind gives more sense. I had been thinking it would only be for Tron 2.0 content, but this is even better! I like the idea of skins, but that is, of course, fluff that can wait until later.

Was this something you had in the works for a while or only recently cooked up and made?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G