Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Re: xMDK

Post by Cybernaught »

Here is an off-the-wall idea for an interesting map element:

I saw a Light Cycle grid as a display area in a Derez Map, and it made me think, what if we could create streets in a Derez Map with light cycles running along them as traffic (no light trail!), and also create rapid transit zones that follow these roadways so that a player that enters the street at a specific point would be propelled along the transit zone in a psuedo-light cycle experience?

Kind of weird, but it would be neat to see!
Ti| "Drive C:\ forever!"
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Well, i wasn't lazy...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Some more information about the stuff above:

Most you can see (about 90%) is already prefabbed. Right now there are about 160-170 prefabs.
I'll try to prepare something for the end of next week, BUT don't be disappointment in case i don't make it in time. After next week i will have some holiday, so if i even shouldn't make it in time next week, afterwards there should be something for all to play around. We'll have to see if i can release it directly with xStream or not.

Cybernaught wrote:Here is an off-the-wall idea for an interesting map element:

I saw a Light Cycle grid as a display area in a Derez Map, and it made me think, what if we could create streets in a Derez Map with light cycles running along them as traffic (no light trail!), and also create rapid transit zones that follow these roadways so that a player that enters the street at a specific point would be propelled along the transit zone in a psuedo-light cycle experience?

Kind of weird, but it would be neat to see!
Hmm. this would need to be evaluated anout AI and performance, not sure if this would fit for MP-performance
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by deeahchur »

Fantastic images, X, as always! Td)

How do you take such excellent screenshots without the HUD appearing on-screen?

In image 33, there is a distinctively derezzed bit of geometry that is only outlined in red. If you don't mind sharing, how did you create this effect?

Another effect I am curious about is how you created the glassy/shiny surface. Would you be willing to share that technique? I understand if you prefer to keep this effect unique for your own maps.

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote:In image 33, there is a distinctively derezzed bit of geometry that is only outlined in red. If you don't mind sharing, how did you create this effect?

Another effect I am curious about is how you created the glassy/shiny surface. Would you be willing to share that technique? I understand if you prefer to keep this effect unique for your own maps.
If you can be a bit more patient, then with the release everyone gets the map-source, so he/she can study it.

And in a shortened form: about the red-outlined stuff => pure geometry, just very thin, and about the shiny stuff => environment/cubemap, worldmodel, the right texture. Anything else would result in more to write then i have time for now. And as i don't want to repeat myself too much, as i write some stuff several times as it is shattered all around, i'm waiting for the wiki, to push up a lot of knowledge (or i go with my xStream-app, to share. Whatever comes first)
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Excellent! Thanks X! Greatly appreciated!

T~o +1 disc from me!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

xistence wrote:i'm waiting for the wiki
Yeah, sorry about that. I originally intended to send Load the files a long time ago, but since the first stage of updating took so long I decided to keep working on the Wiki. And now I'd gotten to the point where it was a case of "heck, I've gone this far, let's keep going" and I ran with it.

I'll try to get it finished by tomorrow and send Load the files then. But with Christmas only a few days away, I'm guessing it will probably take until the New Year for the Wiki to go live.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

We're patient. I mean, we're THE Tron 2.0 community, anyway, since we have no BVG/Disney support whatsoever . . . T-p
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

'kay, here it is a first... well 'preview'...

xMDK-preview

What's it?
It is a sort of 'raw' package, containing pure content, no fancy app at this time as i'm still working on it. As a 'preview', it is below of being an alpha, beta or even a full release, that means: a lot of changes will happen on this, so do not base your projects already on that.

What does it mean for you?
You, for sure, can play around with the prefabs, tex's and other stuff, coming along BUT: do not trust that their names/paths won't change, that some might be thrown out in the next releases and so on. So:
- if you use the stuff, have an eye about updates and changes. At this point, i won't be able to do these updates automatically, later, with the app, i might be. So take care about yourself during that time
- if you are planning to change or modify things, do this on a copy of each file, instead on the origin. I will update the origin, whatever you did to them, so you might loose your changes that way. I might update the origin as long they are not finished OR they are buggy

How to use it?
I left out any sort of installer, as this is just a preview, and an installer means too much extra work (and i'm a lazy guy). Might be a bit trickier for you all, but you're all smart enough to handle it, i have no doubt:
- d/l the zip
- the zip contains several folders you might know, if you already did mapping/modding, as they fly around in the 'GAME'-folder: PREFABS, TEX, WORLDS and TEXTUREGROUPS. Unpack the content of the zip into your GAME-folder, so you might be asked to merge these folders. Answer with 'yes'. If everything went well, you'll find an 'XI'-folder in PREFABS and TEX
- take care to have enough free space, like about 500MB, and you should plan to free up some more in the future, but i will drop a few lines about these plans in the near future, so you'll be prepared. no worries there

A few more words:
- There is a WORLDS-folder as well, containing a map in progress. As this map is a 'testing ground':
- it is not finished
- it is full of gaps, holes and errors
- it is not optimized in any way (off grid, maybe concavs, whatever)
- Textures are not optimized, furthermore there are several textures with a different naming convention. This all might look confusing or terrible, but it is content in a 'transition'. Right now i working out a specific naming convention for files and folder, so be aware that this stuff will be renamed, and other stuff (as unused) will be removed! There might be also doubled textures.
I'm throwing together, whatever i was able to find from the past, bringing it into a coherent structure, but this takes time.

That was it, have fun. If you have a question, feel free to ask, but during these days, answers might come delayed, be patient.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Td) T<)

T~o Here's my plus 1, X!

!YES! !YES! !YES! Happy holidays and THANX! !YES! !YES! !YES!

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Delayed, here are some specfifc infos about the prefabs themself:

They're (mostly) organized in a structure, separating everything into several categories. While most of these might speak for themself, there are a few i want to put some additional information on:

INTERACTIVE
Most prefabs here could be intresting for you to learn about a few things, like: how to use keyframes for lifts or creating derezzable platforms. To get some insights, i recommend to place one prefab in your map, and then discconect it. You could also select 'Open Prefab' via right mouse menu, while selecting one entry in the 'Prefab'-tab, but remember: changes you do here might get lost due to updates from my side. Ohterwise, create a duplicate of the prefab-file.

WORLD
I place(d) some prefabs here, which are neither static or real interactive. They are more used to defined some global setting, like skybox or light and stuff. Especially the 'xpf.worldsettings...' is intresting here, as you just need to place one instance of it in the map to set up global lights, FarZ, fog and other stuff. It is what i'm using right now for my testing map, and which was 'styled' to create the 'legacy'/'ol'school' -mix and athmosphere

As last info:
You'll recognize that many prefabs are organized in 'sets': they are modulary, so they represent just a 'part' of geometry each. Elements of a set can be combined to create larger structures, so play around with these. Later on, i'll extend these sets with more elements, to increase the amount of combinations, and to vary things much more.

That's it. Have fun.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

T-O

I took a look at these, and I am impressed! I was definitely interested to see how you clean build and create your forms! WOW! I have definitely learned a few things just by looking at the geometry!

I am also impressed at the additional texture effects! That's great!

I tested the map there, and there are definitely some interesting occurrences when derezzing, such as re-rezzing in the exact same spot as being derezzed, which is a bit odd when it is outside the normal geometry. Tg\ Tz)

Great work, X! I look forward to updates!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote:I was definitely interested to see how you clean build and create your forms!
Well, just be careful if some of these geom's are not free of mistakes. I didn't checked all. As soon the wiki is available, or my app, i hope i can free up some time to create tutorials how to create this stuff in dedit.
deeahchur wrote:I am also impressed at the additional texture effects!
I going to create everything by myself, as far as possible, especially textures and effects. Makes it more independent from the rest.
deeahchur wrote:...such as re-rezzing in the exact same spot as being derezzed, which is a bit odd when it is outside the normal geometry
humm, never had that, but also never tried it. Hopefully that won't happen, as soon the map is done and 'sealed' as it should be.
deeahchur wrote:I look forward to updates!
Already in progress. In the next update there will be some more prefabs. I also started a second map, with some more and different geom, to create more prefabs. I also added 'script', the kind of writing in my definition of a digital universe, DIU. This will give the options to place some writings, that look 'tronish', but with some meaning behind of it.
blog
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Some impression of a second test map. Purpose of this map is to create a different context, so that other prefabs will be build. But also to test the existing prefabs as well, in a new arrangement.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The last two screens are also showing 'script', the kind of writing for programs. This was taken out of the DIU-world concept (just in case you're curious, the left image shows 'xmdk', the right 'instance')
ImageImage
blog
Daddyo
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Daddyo »

That's some really nice looking architecture.