Tron Evolution Models

All about Maps, Mods & Creating them
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Tron Evolution Models

Post by xistence »

Just thought i should share this stuff (~73 MB), which i found while diggin' thru the net. Not many models, but stuff like the recog or cycles. Cheers.

P.S.: as this is located at a file hoster, i dunno how long it will be available there.

[UPDATE]
This is a temporary link, to d/l the package. Notice, that this link won't be last for long, and that it may take some time.
Mirror
[/UPDATE]
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Tron Evolution Models

Post by deeahchur »

Tg\
What is supposed to be downloaded? I just get a file listed as images.jpg that is 71.2 MB. I can't even view the image after it is downloaded. Is this right?
Tg\
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Most files are textures, but there are a few .MTL, .OBJ and .LTW. Might be, you just didn't noticed them. .OBJ's should be understood by most 3D-programs like Blender, Lightwave (i think .LTW is the matching filetype here) or 3DSMax.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

I'll clarify what I mean.

Tz)

When I try to download the file, I receive a file named "images.jpg" that is 71.2 MB in size but cannot be opened or previewed. I have tried changing the file extension to .zip, but that does not correct the issue.

Hangman said he had to download it multiple times until it gave him the correct file type to download.

Tg\

Just a little frustrating.

T-[
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Hm, ok. Actually it should be a file called 'tron_evolution_models.zip', that was what i uploaded. I have no experience about this filehoster, maybe he is totally crap. I can upload it to my page, but only temporarly, as i haven't enough space there anymore. So i can't provide that link not for a long time.
Another point is, how exactly you downloaded it, if i try to d/l it, i always get the right file. Is there anything different, like do you use special download tools, trying to save via 'save under...' or anything else? Otherwise it can be just the hoster.

[UPDATE]
I porivded a temporary mirror above in the first post of this thread. So if the hoster is really that troublesome, you can use this. But i'll remove this link after while (a few days).
[/UPDATE]
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

!YES! (YES)

Ok. Got the file.

Extracted . . .

Now what? Where should the files go?

Just drop the folders into Game or somewhere specific?

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

You could put the models and textures in the appropriate places in your GAME folder, but as-is the models aren't useable in Tron 2.0.

Every model was provided in two formats: .LWO and .OBJ. The .LWO ones will probably be difficult to convert, while the .OBJ will be easy. So I'd recommend using the .OBJ versions. You can import the .OBJ models into Blender, then export them back out using the .LTA exporter plugin that comes with the self-installing Tron 2.0 tools. The exported .LTA files will be model props.

Every model also comes with a bunch of different textures. They come in .TGA format, which will make it easy to convert them to .DTX. But you won't be able to use all the textures. In addition to the regular material textures, there are also Normal maps, Diffuse Maps, Emission maps, etc. The only one you could make use of is the Specular map (texture ending with SPEC), which is more or less the same thing as an Environment map.

However . . . after exporting the models to .LTA, you are still not done. The models will be treated as Prop objects in DEdit. In order to use them properly, each model prop needs to have at least one bone and one animation. This requires importing the models into either 3DSMax or Maya, adding those things, then exporting them back out again.

Before attempting that, one could try loading the .LTAs into ModelEdit and compiling them, but I don't think they will work without an animation. (The Blender exporter plugin claims it adds a "Scene Root" bone automatically, but I've never tried it and I'm somewhat doubtful of the claim. I still think 3DSMax/Maya will be required.)

If you just want the models to be static scenery you can't interact with (World geometry), then importing them into 3DSMax/Maya and then back out in the .LTA World (not .LTA Model) format is the way to go. Again, the plugins for importing and exporting both these formats (World and Model) are installed with the Tron 2.0 tools.

Of course, now folks are probably going to say "but I don't have 3DSMax or Maya"! Aye, there's the rub. These programs are more or less essential if you want to attempt any world or model work in Tron 2.0. But, again, try compiling the .LTAs exported from Blender and see what happens. Maybe I'm wrong, and they'll work straight off the bat.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Ah. Tricky . . .

Tz)

If someone wants to take this "project" upon themselves and then graciously share the results with the rest of us (hopefully after testing them first), I'm sure much thanks will be shared for the effort.

While I have 3DSMax 6 from my 1 year spent in game design (which wasn't able to be turned into a graduate program. Grrr), I sadly do not have the time to devote to this endeavor.

Surely acquirable versions are available of 3DS 4 (the recommended version for working with Jupiter, if I remember correctly from BoxHat days).

Tw<
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

D'oh! You know, I forgot that DEdit can import .OBJ files directly. So there's a chance the models could be used as world geometry, without too much fuss.

But I don't know how reliable the .OBJ importing feature will be or how good the conversion will turn out. A lot of people say that the .OBJ importing feature in the version of DEdit for AvP2 (Lithtech Talon) works better. And one thing's for sure: the imported model won't have any texture UV information, so you will have to re-apply the textures again from scratch.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

We require a volunteer to undertake this task.

*looks around for viable conscripts*

// Engaging SEARCH feature //
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G