Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

New DEdit Questions

Post by Cybernaught »

Hi guys,

I've run into a couple of situations in DEdit that I wanted to get your perspective on:

1) I've created a forcefield that I want players to be able to knock down after doing X amount of damage to it, and when I expand the Damage Properties field of the associated World Object, I do find Command options that would appear to allow me to set this up (i.e. PercentForCommand/PercentCommand), but for whatever reason, the msg cmds either fail to launch once the requisite damage percentage has been inflicted, or the game engine is unable to process the msg once sent. What's puzzling here is that the msgs are the exact same msgs that I'm using with the Switch object that activates/deactivates the field, and that's working just fine [msg <object_name> (hidden 1)]. Just to be clear, I have set the brushes Damage Properties as follows: Heal flag - False, Repair flag - False, Damage flag - True, Destroy flag - False (I want it to be re-activatable later). Any thoughts on what's happening or how to fix this?

2) I'm also trying to create a large-diameter data beam (cylinder brush) that rapidly pans its Texture skywards, but no matter what I set its Speed to, it pans at the same slow speed. How do you control the speed of these things?

Thanks for the help.
Ti| "Drive C:\ forever!"
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: New DEdit Questions

Post by deeahchur »

The answers are actually rather simple, but it takes some playing around to find them.

1) WorldObject - Breakable
Bind/nest brush to the breakable.
Set armor and health values.
Save world as .dat and test in Multiplayer

Otherwise, if you want it to disappear and reappear, instead of break, refer to thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=994&start=90#p11132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2) TextureEffect
You gotta play around and test them. I use the following for mine:

Code: Select all

10SKYBEAM01.TFG
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
Cybernaught
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Post by Cybernaught »

Thanks D,

I'll check out that Breakable Object tonight. Still, it puzzles me that the msg command I'm trying to use works just fine with the On/Off Switch I made for the same brush object. Could it be that the Damage Properties command fields are only intended to be used with specific Object Types (like Breakable)? If so, I sure wish the pop-up Help text would say so.

As far as the .TFG file, I've tried/edited them all (10SKYBEAM01-03) and the only aspect of the pan that it allows me to control is the direction (up or down when setting the YSpeed as a positive or negative value). Could this also be the result of having attached the wrong type of game object to the cylinder brushes I'm using? Might it be a side effect of the brushes size, or its intersection with other brush objects (just trying to think outside the box here)?

FYI: I am doing all of my testing in MP.

Thanks for working with me on this.
Ti| "Drive C:\ forever!"
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Different TextureEffects behave in different ways. The one I listed is specifically for an upward movement beam. if you are looking for one that is horizontal in movement, then you'll need to check some of the other beam patterns, and each has a different speed.

I'll admit to wanting an index of all the effects, textures, scripts, etc for easy reference. I'd love a preview function. T-p
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

Cybernaught wrote:Could it be that the Damage Properties command fields are only intended to be used with specific Object Types (like Breakable)?
Might be. Haven't used those particular Percent properties myself, so can't add anything to the discussion at this time. They are indeed poorly documented, leaving everyone to guess.

About the .TFG file. The reason it's not working, is because the game is reading the original file from inside the .REZ files. Give your .TFG a completely new name. If you're testing from DEdit by clicking the Run World button, you won't have to do more than that. But if you want to test it in the Custom folder, you'll have to copy the .TFG there in the same folder structure. (Custom\TEXTUREEFFECTGROUPS\MyEffect.TFG)

It's easier, though, to test Multiplayer maps in the proper mode by just removing this from the Program arguments under the Run tab, in the DEdit Options.

Code: Select all

+runworld "%WorldName%"
Then move your map file from the WORLDS folder (if it's in there) to WORLDS\RETAILSINGLEPLAYER, WORLDS\RETAILLIGHTCYCLE, WORLDS\RETAILMULTIPLAYER\DISCARENA, or WORLDS\RETAILMULTIPLAYER\DEATHMATCH, depending on the type of map you're creating.

If move the map file and remove the entry in the DEdit options, next time you click the Run World button you'll go to the game's main menu. From there you can go to Multiplayer > Host > set the game mode to match your map > Add the map to the list of maps to host > Launch.