Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

MP as SP

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

Due to low-population on the servers, just hopping into an MP map makes little sense, hoping someone shows up if you haven't made arrangements to meet up with anyone or are waiting for said time. I hopped into SKYGRID today, anyway, and a thought occurred to me: why not make a series of MP maps with heavy SP elements? That way people have something to do, even when the Grid is otherwise devoid of Users.

Thoughts?

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Re: MP as SP

Post by xistence »

There were several plans through the years already: creating coop like in NOLF2 (failed because of missing source and technical features), playing retail SP-maps as MP-maps (possible with some hacking of mission.txt and server setup, failed because of that MP uses other object features then SP, so those maps were just playable in a 'buggy' way (plus: you can't use the map-switch trigger to get to the next map at the end of a level, doesn't work in MP)) and finally to create just maps with something to do, as you mention, problem here: it needs to be done.

So, it is a good idea, it just needs a good plan and lots of work to be done, and you have to make a map in way so that it might be replayable, otherwise you spend a lot of work for a map that can only be played by one a single time. Maybe you have an intresting idea?
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by deeahchur »

Very good points, X, so I appreciate your opinions, especially from a developer point of view.

Tc)

I was not thinking of importing the actual SP maps as MP maps, though it would have been cool to do that in a variety of ways.
Neither was I intending for a map to exit one and specifically launch to another map. I think the only way to do that would be via a script that is sent to the server to select to force load "the next map". IF this was implemented, then it would have to allow admin permissions while in the game from a guest user, and I'm sensing security breach on that one! TronFAQ will probably have more of an idea if this is even possible.

As for the objectives, I was thinking of a multi-thread course. A User could play through the map once to complete one objective; however, there would be other objectives that a User could complete for later visits. Some of these objectives would have to be found, like Easter eggs. Another idea is a randomization of certain key objective elements, so that they may not be in the same place on the next visit.

As for specific map ideas, I can adapt some of my concepts to this purpose, though I can simplify them for the sake of processing and playability.

Th(

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Meatsack »

I've given the co-op MP story maps a lot of thought over the years.
Here is what I've come up with:

Single player teams. 2 teams per map.
Players must understand that due to the limitations of the engine, that personal score is irrelevant, but the completion of the map is the goal.
Maps are scored based on some objective to be completed, not derezzes.
Upon completion, player 1 "wins", but the point is that the map is done.
Set the number of rounds per map to 1, and the next map will load upon completion.
Organize the maps in rotation on the server to make sense if played in order.

Set a Kill Zone around the playable area to trigger for 3 seconds upon a player death to kill the other player.
The respawn points will be in the beginning of the level, and upon player death, all variables are reset.
The starting point will require 2 triggers to be activated within a dew seconds of each other to open the barrier to the rest of the level.
Those triggers would have to be far enough apart to be impossible to activated by a single player.
Likewise, level design would require certain areas to require cooperation to complete.
Such as: a control room to operate a rotating platform where the other player must activate switches in various alcoves while fending off enemies. Perhaps the control room can be open where the controller can assist the player down below with sniping.

Long story short... it can be done, but nobody's done it yet.

I've had a long run of bad luck with my systems the past several years, and I can't keep TRON 2.0 installed for some reason. Currently, I have a HP Pavilion laptop and the Friggin' CD drive isn't recognized (even in the BIOS!). I'm saving for a new rig. I'll get back into it all eventually.
This space intentionally left blank.