TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Videos of custom Tron 2.0 maps made by a fan

Post by TronFAQ »

It's funny, because for a long time now I'd been planning to make a video showing off custom maps for Tron 2.0. Seems someone beat me to it.

I'm still going to make that video anyway, if only because I want to do it at a higher resolution than these videos were recorded in. (And he only covered Derez maps.) The whole purpose behind it, being, that if enough people see custom maps in action, they might be more interested in trying them out. (The reason I haven't done it yet, is simply because it will take a lot of time to record footage of many maps, and edit it all together.)

I can pretty much understand what's being said (in German), most of the time. Even though the videos are titled "favorite maps", he's rather critical of at least a couple of them. Heh.

What I find interesting, is that he doesn't seem to really know (or care, I suppose) who made these maps or where they come from. It's something that appears to be pretty common, whenever I come across other videos or discussions about custom content made by the Tron 2.0 community. People playing maps and mods are often unaware of where they came from. It's too bad, really. It would be nice to get some more feedback sent directly to us, and not have to stumble across it like this.

Of course, now watch him find our site and come across this message post, after I've said all that. T-D
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Re: Videos of custom Tron 2.0 maps made by a fan

Post by deeahchur »

You should send him a message.

Neon Tron lights blaring, "Here's the community where those maps originated! Critiques welcome! Please try making some of your own to add to the community as a whole!"

T-p
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I did leave him a comment, to that effect. But I don't expect to hear back from him.

I can't really see it being a case of not knowing where these projects came from. They're all self-installing now, and where they come from is mentioned in the installers. So I'm taking that to mean it's a case of simply not caring to provide feedback or get involved with the (albeit small) community of fans.

I think, over the years, everyone's projects has received maybe a 0.1% feedback rate. Literally. A shame too, because I know for a fact that they all get downloaded quite a bit. People just choose not to bother.
Meatsack
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Meatsack »

Awww... I just got around to this thread and the vids have been removed by the user.

I guess the critic didn't want anyone else's opinion or help... }-(
This space intentionally left blank.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

I think he found out about this message topic, and it must have made him feel self-conscious about his criticism. He took down his videos not long after.

As an anecdote to something I was talking about earlier: about how I was wondering why more people didn't visit our site. Well, I may have found a reason. Or, at least, a contributing factor.

It turns out that, for some of the projects that have been released, there was a really unintuitive and obscure setting in the installer creator used that has led to this problem.

If the user's version of Windows is set to a language other than English, the installers will not show information dialogs. Instead, installation will proceed silently with no visual feedback until it's done. So, in other words, a non-English speaking person will probably never see any information. The project will just install with no dialog screens appearing.

It's not worth putting out new versions of the affected installers just for this, the programs will install fine anyway. Just no info appearing about where they came from. But in future, whenever I update anything, I'll make sure to correct this issue.

There will probably be another Map Pack update in the near-term, so that will be the first project to have the issue fixed once the time arrives.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Came across another video where a couple of kids were playing custom maps in Tron 2.0.

It's an hour long, so I wouldn't expect anyone to watch the whole thing. But for kicks you might want to skim through it and see if one of your maps is being played.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

So, remember our friend in the first post of this thread? Well, he's back. This time, speaking mostly in English instead of German.

He actually had another video up just the other day, before this one. In it, he played Mor.Evil-1's DM-1.5A, DM-2.5A, Tank Grid 01-A, Mor's Map, Sky Grid 01. He was positive about the maps.

I left a comment to let him know that he didn't have to limit himself to a Virtual LAN and a private server, to play Multiplayer. That there are still public TRON 2.0 servers. And . . . he deleted the video. Seems to be a trend with this kid.

In this newer video, he plays X's MCP; Z's RGB Processing Grid, CLU Dispatch, and Electronic Cave; Win3K's Oldskool; Deeahchur's YCP HQ and YCP Carrier; Mor.Evil-1's DM-1.5A; Load"*",8,1's Prankster Bit Alley; VMan's Derez and DM World; Spydave's Sector.

In this one, he mostly restrained himself from slagging off the maps and usually had positive things to say. Now, I wonder how long this second video will last before he deletes it. I didn't leave a comment this time, I swear! T-D (LOL)

Again, too bad some fans don't engage more with the rest of the fan community, like this fellow.

EDIT: Well, what do you know. Another video. This one cracks me up. He doesn't say anything about these maps, one way or the other, though.

In this one, he plays Raven's CTF and AI Arena Redux Light cycle maps; Crack's 1st Person; Boomer's Tubular; Timmypowergamer's Block City.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Three(!) more videos.

EDIT: A fourth video.

I haven't had time to watch these. But I did notice he's using the Killer App Mod. Yet, he still wants to play on a Virtual LAN over Hamachi? I'm guessing it's because he wants people to play on his private server, rather than someone else's public server.
Load81
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Orange

Post by Load81 »

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
ldso:// Load"*",8,1
http://www.fraglesstees.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ldso.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Load81 wrote: :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
One smiley for each deleted video? T-p

So, yeah, he deleted the videos again. They only lasted a couple of days. Not only that, but he closed his entire YouTube channel. Why upload videos if you don't want us to watch them? :-?