Post by 1010101 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Custom Tron 2.0 and Killer App Icons v1.1
-----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------
A little background...

Greetings, program!

I have a 46" Toshiba Regza high definition television as my monitor running at 1920x1080 in 32-bit color.

After tinkering a bit with some files in my Tron 2.0 installation folder, I managed to get the game running at 1920x1080 but horribly stretched and with menus cut off.

But, you see, this is Tron. I knew, just KNEW, that others had a love of Tron equal to my own. Surely someone had solved the problem. Surely others wanted to experience this incredible game in a widescreen ratio (16:9 in my case)!

A quick search and I found the Killer App mod (v1.1). I installed it. It worked perfectly. Over the course the next few days, I completed the game (got to v10.0.0; alas, missed something somewhere), all the while seeing the Killer App icon on my desktop.

Now I'm not knocking anyone's work here. I'm a HUGE fan of the Killer App Mod. But to my eyes, the icon left something to be desired. A minor thing, I know, but I guess I'm just weird that way. I use 48x48 pixel icons on my desktop, and the original Killer App icon was built from the base Tron 2.0 icon, which is 32x32 and 256 colors. Modding the icon itself was going to produce, well, what the KA icon is. The 48x48 version of the modded 32x32 icon (48x48 being the largest size contained in the modded icon) is admittedly larger than the default, but it gains no clarity, being upscaled, and is still only a 256 color icon (it actually only contains 55 unique colors).

Let me reiterate, I'm not knocking anyone's work here. The icon is very comparable to the base icon, and is admirably done considering the medium and base material used.

That having been said, I wanted something that looked better to my eye.

What this is...

The four icons in this zip file are intended to be used as replacement icons for Tron 2.0, the Tron 2.0 Stand-Alone Server, and the Tron 2.0 Killer App Mod. My intention was to create icons that looked very similar to the existing icons but nicer looking. As of v1.1, I've added the server icon as well as a red disc version of the Killer App Mod icon. I included a basic Tron 2.0 icon for the sake of completion, but there's no good reason to not be using the Killer App mod. :)

All four .ico files contain 256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 20x20, and 16x16 versions of the icons, all in 32-bit color.

The four icons were made using Paint Shop Pro v7.04, Greenfish Icon Editor Pro v2.1, WinRez LT v3.0.0, and DTX View v1.0. The disc image was extracted with WinRez from Tron 2.0's Game.rez (DISC1.DTX is the base texture I used, rotated, color-enhanced, and resized). The KA logo was traced off of a screen grab of the KA setup screen.

The icon was actually built at 800x800 (my ghetto method of getting at the disc texture was to just use Paint Shop Pro to do a screen capture of the DTX file at x3 zoom :P). Paint Shop Pro was used to resize the completed image to all eight resolutions, then everything was packaged into icons with Greenfish Icon Editor Pro (I hate how Greenfish resizes images, so I did it with Paint Shop Pro).

I actually made a mistake with the KA icons as you may or may not notice. The letter glow actually extends beyond the edge of the icons and I find it very noticeable on the 256x256 and 128x128 versions of the icon, but honestly I've spent far too long on these icons already, and I don't think many people really use such large icons anyway. They don't look TERRIBLE, but I definitely notice the problem.

How to use the icons...

Extract the .ico file you want to use to somewhere they won't get lost. They'll need to stay there for the duration of the time you want to use them (I personally have an icon folder in my "My Documents" folder). Now just right-click the old shortcut link and select "Properties". On the "Shortcut" tab, click on "Change Icon" and browse to the new icon. Easy as that.

Thanks

Thanks to the Killer App team, of course, for the incredible work they've done. Thanks, too, to those who worked on this incredible game. And thanks to everyone who worked on allthe tools I used.

Download Link

As an aside, is the Tron 2.0 logo font actually a font that's floating about anywhere, or was the Killer App logo just made "by hand" to be in the same style as the Tron 2.0 logo?

Message edited to reflect the addition of the server icon and the red disc Killer App Mod icon.
cryogen4000

Re: Custom icons :P

Post by cryogen4000 »

They do look very nice! i will be using them :D
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Post by TronFAQ »

Very cool icons, thanks for sharing them. Glad you enjoyed the KA mod, too. 8-)

The font used on the icon was made by our very own LDSO member zook_one. He created a complete Tron-style font for use in wallpapers, logos, and such.
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Post by 1010101 »

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.

Is the font available for download anywhere, by chance? I'm a bit of a font aficionado. Combine that with my love of Tron and I'm really interested :).
zook_one
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by zook_one »

Your Icon looks great, I like the red disc with the blue fade. We actually started KA Mod back in 2006, much of the work was completed on my old XP computer so the logos were old school style.

On the font side, no all the TRON font work I've done is not contained in a single font file I have a lot of single charaters that I use and tweak and tweek for different project. There is a TRON font set which is available online. I however disagree with a lot of the characters that are in that font set and don't really like to use it.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Red
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: None

Post by 1010101 »

zook_one wrote:Your Icon looks great, I like the red disc with the blue fade. We actually started KA Mod back in 2006, much of the work was completed on my old XP computer so the logos were old school style.
Thanks for the compliment. And thanks for the KA mod. Incredible work.
zook_one wrote:On the font side, no all the TRON font work I've done is not contained in a single font file I have a lot of single charaters that I use and tweak and tweek for different project. There is a TRON font set which is available online. I however disagree with a lot of the characters that are in that font set and don't really like to use it.
I've done lettering just the same way as you with lots of single character files, so In know where you're coming from. And I agree with you about the Tron font that's available online.