TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: YCP Maps

Post by TronFAQ »

deeahchur wrote:still using PlayerTrigger object (I know, you said not to use it) and should have infinite uses.
If you don't want to have to delete all the PlayerTriggers and redo them as Triggers, just go to the Properties of each one and look for the "Change" button at the top. It allows you to change an object from one type to another.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:
deeahchur wrote:still using PlayerTrigger object (I know, you said not to use it) and should have infinite uses.
If you don't want to have to delete all the PlayerTriggers and redo them as Triggers, just go to the Properties of each one and look for the "Change" button at the top. It allows you to change an object from one type to another.
Actually I did that, but I didn't see any particular change, so I guess we'll see how well it works.

I hope to see ya on the Grid!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
Techromancer
Registered users
Registered users

Post by Techromancer »

Hi deeahchur,

I was unable to enter the map multiplayer for some reason, but I did host it and run around on my own. Looks pretty good and it is obvious you have put a lot of work into it. Nicely done, cannot wait to see the finished project.

Be well,
Techro |___| __o-o

"the only clear view is atop the mountain of your dead selves...." Peter j Parroll

"that which does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Techromancer wrote:Hi deeahchur,

I was unable to enter the map multiplayer for some reason, but I did host it and run around on my own. Looks pretty good and it is obvious you have put a lot of work into it. Nicely done, cannot wait to see the finished project.

Be well,
We'll help you troubleshoot access the next time. First check that you have the most recent KA installed and that the server is activated. It is possible that the server was not actually online at the time?

I intend to have the next build available for Saturday, 5 May 2012.

Playing through this past weekend with multiple Users presented a bug that I did not encounter when testing the map on my own. The problem encountered, however, was a boon in disguise as a co-op element. Thanks TronFAQ for that revelation!

I have already worked through the majority of the Tg\ presented earlier in the thread and will be editing the list as solved for the next release! With that in mind, I can focus on architectural elements that are currently missing from the map. Texture elements will take a bit more time to work through.

After some discussion of practicality, there will be four maps in the YCP theme series, three as Derez, and one as Disc Arena. There will be other maps with YCP elements but are not based in the YCP system of operations.

See ya on the Grid!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

I've completed some major work on the map so far, so this weekend I decided to try my hand at textures. I wasn't as successful as I had hoped. T-(

I was able to export the textures.

I was able to open the TGA files in CS.

I was able to view the RGB channels and Alpha layer.

I was able to convert to B/W.

I was able to import the textures back into DEDit.

The textures looked like they took to the geometry.

BUT . . . when I tested the map, just white geometry. T-(

Obviously I did not correctly set the Alphas. I could use some assistance or at least guidelines.

Thanks in advance!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

only white geometry sounds to me that there might be more an issue with your resources at all, instead of just importing textures wrong, maybe you want to check in the 'Process'-dialog that your path to your GAME-folder is still the right one OR that your really placed the textures where you expected them. And if you're not testing the map from DEdit, instead starting it from the game launcher, take care all resources/REZ-files are correctly set and available and registered in launchcmds.txt.

Anyway, here are a few more points that might be important about textures:

-Sizes should match (typically DEdit will mucker about, but anyway): width and height must have a size of the power of 2 (2^2, 2^3, etc, so like 8,16,32,64....), smallest size possible:8, greatest size possible: 1024

-Color depth is also a size, DEdit will bother you about a 'size' problem if the color depth is wrong in some case (like importing an alpha mask from PCX, while the PCX is not 8-bit (grayscaled))

-If you want the textures being glowing you a) need to set up an alpha mask containing more white parts for more glow, more black parts for not glowing. You also need to set the flag in the texture properties that glow should be used

-Same for transparency: alpha mask again, more opaque = white, more transparent = black

-Setting up EnvMap in CommandString must be done right, done have typos in the path for texture, otherwise your map will crash

-I recommen TGA for im-/export as you can save the alpha mask in the TGA, so you don't need another file just for that EXCEPT you want them being separated (might be)

Just a few points, maybe you find something with this already. Otherwise a few more facts would be needed.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

I mostly ONLY exported textures from the TEX and INTERFACE folders and in CS converted them to B/W, and played with levels a little bit. The ALPHA layer was only adjusted when I needed to expand one texture from 256 width to 512 width in order to mirror the IONODE_HUD texture as a complete arch; otherwise, all textures retain their same dimensions.

I no longer run maps from DEdit and instead launch the game to test each time.

T-O D'OH! T-O

I forgot to place them in the Custom folder! I did it mentally but forgot to actually place the files there. T-p

Thanks for the booster kick, X!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Well instead of copying/rezzing the stuff all the time, here the way i do it (BE WARNED I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY WHAT YOU DO WITH THESE INFOS OR WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU DO IT WRONG. THIS IS LABELED AS PRO-TIP. ALSO BACKUP EVERYTHING RELATED!)

If you can handle regedit, you might find the following tip useful. If you don't know what regedit is, or how to use, don't even think to try it!
Also backup all keys and values mentioned in this tip. Don't ask me how to do this, because i demand that you know how to, otherwise this tip is not for you.

- Open regedit and under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/?/?/?... find a folder named 'Monolith Productions', the full path may differ based on the windows version you use, so i can spent just the main parts of the path (on my WIn7 system it something like 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Monolith Productions')
- Under 'Monolith Production' follow the path '.../TRON 2.0/1.0' and selected it (-> 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Monolith Productions/TRON 2.0/1.0).
- There are several entries named 'UpdateCommand#', you can add a new one (REG_SZ, increasing the number at the end by 1) and there you can add the path to your GAME-folder with your project, something like '-rez d:/myproject/tron/game'

Thats it. If you did all things right you can launch the game and your project with all of its resources is loaded as standard part (just look into 'launchcommands.txt', which is generated everytime you start the game, the you can see you're folder. if not, you did something wrong)

BUT BE WARNED!
If you mod or change anything that might get in conflict with the rest of the game, the game may act weird or don't start. In that case remove the entry in the registry, to get back to the old state.
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Td) Success! Td)

I placed the textures in the Custom Folder appropriately, and viola! The textures worked!

I at least feel confident now to work more with textures, even those with transparency!

X, I appreciate the Regedit tips, but for now that's definitely out of my league for the time being. Besides, I've actually just been running .dat map files, so I haven't been rezzing the files as yet. When the map is completed, then I'll be ready for rezzing and researching implementation of your tips.

For now though, I am more able to press on towards completion of the map!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

Well, the tip was exactly ment for the reason that you don't need to rez or pack or do anything. Just edit/work out the content as usual, then start the game and use it w/o any extra work as it already works like a mod even you didn't rezzed, so this might be misunderstood (the '-rez ...' accepts REZ-files but also plain file folders with a GAME-like sub structure).
But as i said, if you don't have the experience with regedit or no idea what it's all about, then better don't use it. But maybe it is suitable for anyone else. If you get in touch with the that sort of stuff, i recommen this, it'll boost your workflow and build speed, and you can test you maps/mods under game-engine-like circumstances (as Dedit creates a more limited environment, it is not exactly the same for the map/mod as being started in the real game).
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Thank you, X. I appreciate the tips.

Tc)

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

Update Checklist moved to most recent post in thread.

Edits as of 7 June 2012

(EOL)
Last edited by deeahchur on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

It might be a little while before I get around to it, but I'll see what I can do to help you out with the DJs.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:It might be a little while before I get around to it, but I'll see what I can do to help you out with the DJs.
Take your time TronFAQ. The map is only technically at Beta, and the Daft Punk nod is mostly flavor, especially since they currently aren't even accessible to either interact with or attempt to Derez. Yesterday I implemented a soundFX object for some of the club music from Tron 2.0, and I haven't even started research for converting any of the Evolution or Legacy soundtracks for Tron 2.0 use.

Truly selecting, exporting, and converting textures took up much of my weekend time that I did spend on tron 2.0, but that progress is doing quite well! I have completed conversion of the INTERFACE textures I chose. I am surprised by some of the neat textures included there, and it makes me wonder where they are implemented into the game or how they were supposed to be implemented!

I still plan to have the next version ready for public release for this Friday, 4 May 2012; however, I know that I will not be available on Saturday for public testing, and I do not yet know my Sunday schedule. Feel welcome, but not obligated, to run a server. If we can catch up and coordinate a quick run, then that's fine with me, but we'll play that as it goes.

Thanks for all your help!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

There is a lot of leftover "junk" in Tron 2.0. A lot of stuff they abandoned, at some point along the way, during development. It seems that Monolith was in such a rush to meet the - already postponed - deadline that they didn't bother to clean up after themselves.

Hence, the poorly organized folder structure for all the textures. And lots of "goodies" left behind for us to explore and use, if we're persistent and pay attention. Their sloppiness is actually to our benefit, this time. If they'd had the time to clean up, they probably would have removed the unused resources and we couldn't take advantage of them now.

For example, I've been slowly working on restoring some of these things in the KA Mod. The Disc Primitive idle animation, gradient Light Cycle trail, flashing Light Cycle wheel spokes, and a couple of restored help files, are all things that were abandoned by Monolith and left behind unused.

So, yes, some of the textures you're using in your maps were actually not used in the game, at all.