Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: YCP Maps

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

Call for some assistance to work out a fluff feature in the mini-club section of YCP_HQ map.

I have three SoundFX objects, each using one of the Loop music files (from the City Hub club zone), and I have three Trigger objects (just Trigger, not PlayerTrigger).

Td) Td) Td)

I'm pretty sure I know how to activate each trigger, since I have resolved that issue with the teleporters.

What command string should I used to activate any one trigger and stop playing either of the other SoundFX objects if already playing and play the selected track?

Td) Td) Td)

Ahead of time, THANKS!

Quick update:
  • Most known bugs worked out (see earlier in the thread and then later whn updated), so upgrading to BETA status!
  • LOTS of converted textures and new sprites will be included in the next release!
  • New architecture and added geometry for scenery!
  • Even more derezzable and non-derezzable DataBlocks!
Expected release: Midnight EST on the verge of Friday, 4 May 2012 and Saturday, 5 May 2012!

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

D, I sent you an e-mail with answers to most of your questions. Once you've gotten the latest revision of the map done, let me know if you have time this weekend to test it out: I'll run a server again for you. I might start running servers regularly again soon. But for the moment I'm only doing it intermittently, and then only for your map.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

(GREETINGS)

Tk| Fileplanet is apparently going into archived status, so I can no longer share files there. Tk|

I have requested TronFAQ to upload the .ZIP file to the wiki. Please check the YCP page for further updates!

http://www.ldso.net/tronwiki/doku.php?i ... 6SSi-ttqSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the meantime, I have uploaded the document via 4shared.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/1RL1nkGo/YCP ... 20504.html

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

D, you can upload your maps to the wiki yourself. T-)

When you edit your YCP article, just click the button that looks like a picture frame labeled "Add images and other files". A window will pop up. The upload should automatically go into the "fanproject" directory, and you can confirm that by looking at the top on the right-hand side. It should say ":wiki:article:tronfaq:fanproject".

Then choose your file and upload. Don't bother filling in the "Upload as" box, just click the Upload button. You can even overwrite a previous version of a file with the same name, if you check the "Overwrite existing file" box.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Awesome! Thanks, FAQ!

I uploaded the file, but I couldn't link to it. Perhaps the uploaded file has to be approved first?

All future uploads will be directly added to the WIki, and links provided.

(EOL)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

The wiki should have automatically placed a link in your article, after the file was uploaded. You also should have been able to upload to the fanproject directory. I'll take a look, to see why you're having trouble.

BTW, you mentioned you were having some more difficulty with Triggers. I took a look at a version of your map, and noticed you are binding brushes to the Triggers. This is not necessary, and may even be the cause of some of the trouble. A Trigger object can be resized like a brush and whenever the player intersects with the object, it executes its commands.

Probably, the way things are now: your brush does nothing, and your Trigger is so tiny that the player won't end up touching it most of the time.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Your uploaded map was nowhere to be found. It seems there's a problem with uploading larger files to the wiki. They time out before completion, and the upload gets aborted. Which is why you were never provided with a link. I'll have to see what I can do to fix it.

In the meantime, I uploaded the map myself and placed an updated download link on your YCP page.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:In the meantime, I uploaded the map myself and placed an updated download link on your YCP page.
Thanks, FAQ! I really appreciate that!
TronFAQ wrote:BTW, you mentioned you were having some more difficulty with Triggers. I took a look at a version of your map, and noticed you are binding brushes to the Triggers. This is not necessary, and may even be the cause of some of the trouble. A Trigger object can be resized like a brush and whenever the player intersects with the object, it executes its commands.

Probably, the way things are now: your brush does nothing, and your Trigger is so tiny that the player won't end up touching it most of the time.
Is it possible to make the trigger a button that is activated with the "F" key, like a door trigger? That was what I had in mind. I placed the triggers with GUI and Th0m as their controls. If need be I could make them dance pad triggers.

Td)

Thoughts about the rest of the map so far?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

If you want a button that can be activated, you'll need to use a SlidingSwitch instead. Unlike the Trigger, a SlidingSwitch does require a brush be bound to it. The player doesn't interact with the object itself, but rather the brush it's bound to. The brush will be invisible when bound. So in addition to the brush (which will just be a simple small box), you'll also have to put something else there that looks like a switch or button.

I haven't had a chance yet to try the latest version of your map, so I can't comment on it yet.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:If you want a button that can be activated, you'll need to use a SlidingSwitch instead. Unlike the Trigger, a SlidingSwitch does require a brush be bound to it. The player doesn't interact with the object itself, but rather the brush it's bound to. The brush will be invisible when bound. So in addition to the brush (which will just be a simple small box), you'll also have to put something else there that looks like a switch or button.
This sounds perfect for my needs, other than the bound brush being invisible. That's ok. I'll just copy the DJ discs that are in place as the buttons.

It would be neat if the disc activated would rotate while its track is playing. This might be overcomplicated and unnecessary for such a minimally seen aspect, but it would be neat nonetheless.

I think this sliding switch will be useful for other components, as well. So the quest is can I make my own Secrezzers?! Summoning some ICs when pressed?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Yes, a Switch could be used as a kind of SecRezzer in a sense. A SecRezzer itself is basically just a fancy switch with a pre-made model, and it automatically spawns AI for you. Whereas with a Switch you'll have to do all that yourself.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

D, you mentioned you were having trouble resizing Triggers. If you look at the icon toolbars in DEdit, you'll see a button with an icon that looks like a wireframe cube. Next to it, is one with red dots on the corners. Then there's a third button, with a sphere and cone.

About 90% of the time you're probably going to be working in Brush editing mode. Which is represented by the wireframe cube being selected. On occasion you might want to use Geometry editing mode, the button with the cube and red dots. The last button with the sphere and cone is Object editing mode.

That last button needs to be selected if you want to resize Trigger (or any) objects. After you're done, switch back to Brush edit mode.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

FAQ, I appreciate the tip, but I was already aware of the Object Editing option. I have not been able to actually change the shape or size, either by attempting to scale the selected object or by dragging handlebars. The only option I have is to move the object. Hence why I was so perturbed. T-O
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having that problem before. Strange. Maybe you set the Trigger to be frozen somehow (blue checkmark in the Nodes pane) by accident? It would cause that behavior.

Worst case scenario, you should still be able to resize the Trigger through its Properties. Click on the Dims button, and you can edit its dimensions that way.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having that problem before. Strange. Maybe you set the Trigger to be frozen somehow (blue checkmark in the Nodes pane) by accident? It would cause that behavior.

Worst case scenario, you should still be able to resize the Trigger through its Properties. Click on the Dims button, and you can edit its dimensions that way.
Nope. Not locked. I'm familiar with that checkbox.

Dims. Got it. Cool!

However . . .

The SlidingSwitch object does not have a Dims property . . . T-(

Does the brush attached to the switch actually determine the size of the activator or the actual object?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G