deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Dedit, Map Making Q's

Post by deeahchur »

After applying the windows (though it could also be the rebuild of the teleporter) and trying to run the map, I experience an MFC error.

Tg\ Tg\ Tg\

I may need to replace the world objects, which will be time-consuming.

T-(

If it is the scripting for the windows to disappear and reappear, then let me show what I have for one of them to work out what to correct.

Code: Select all

L1WindowPos01 <-- WorldObject
- L1WindowDarkPos01 <-- Brush
- L1WindowLightPos01 <-- Brush
I have two different lightbrush properties and thus require two different brushes. They are nested in the Breakable WorldObject. Should they be attached instead?

Damage Properties, then Damage Command:

msg L1WindowPos01 (hidden 1); delay 20 (msg L1WindowPos01 (hidden 0))
Should I list just the WorldObject or the brushes as well?

Aside from this little issue, I should be more or less on-target for a Tuesday Alpha release.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan

Post by TronFAQ »

Usually (though certainly not always), a map causing the game to crash is the result of a texture being used that has an error in its properties. Particularly the Command String. If there's a mistake in a String, the game doesn't do any error handling and simply crashes. I would check any new textures that you've recently added to your map.

The brushes being nested/bound to the WorldModel isn't a problem, that's generally what you're supposed to do. Though by binding both brushes to one WorldModel, they will both disappear at the same time. Is that what you wanted?

Errors in scripting usually don't cause the game to crash, either. I've seen many custom maps with scripting errors (as revealed by the dedicated server) that run just fine.

P.S. I did some rearranging on the Wiki, and left a note on the Discussion tab of your user page because it affected a page you created. Hope you don't mind.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:Usually (though certainly not always), a map causing the game to crash is the result of a texture being used that has an error in its properties. Particularly the Command String. If there's a mistake in a String, the game doesn't do any error handling and simply crashes. I would check any new textures that you've recently added to your map.
Just a texture? The Command String? Strange. I'll look into it. I guess it could be one of the custom textures I applied to the teleporter rebuild. I'll check into it tonight after work.

TronFAQ wrote:The brushes being nested/bound to the WorldModel isn't a problem, that's generally what you're supposed to do. Though by binding both brushes to one WorldModel, they will both disappear at the same time. Is that what you wanted?
Yes. This is exactly what I have in mind. I want both textures to disappear as one window.
TronFAQ wrote:P.S. I did some rearranging on the Wiki, and left a note on the Discussion tab of your user page because it affected a page you created. Hope you don't mind.
That's fine. A Fan Projects page is a great addition to the wiki! I even created a listing for User Error but have not yet created the actual User Error article.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

deeahchur wrote:A Fan Projects page is a great addition to the wiki! I even created a listing for User Error but have not yet created the actual User Error article.
There was already a page for UE, but it was listed under LDSO Projects. Anything with significant contributions from the community in collaboration with LDSO, is now listed under Fan Projects as well.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

deeahchur wrote:Just a texture? The Command String? Strange
The command strings are used to trigger the shaders in jupiter, so if anything is wrong with the command, shaders fail. And i don't know how stable the tech behind the shaders in this engine are, but it seems they're somewhat... sensible.
So check the filepath for the textures in the command string (if used any), often it is just a typo, but enough so the shaders won't find the file and crashes.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

What comfuses me about the command strings is that I didn't use any in relation to textures. I have added some sprites, but they all function correctly. The custom textures are in the correct paths (else they would not show up on the geometry).

The only places with which I used a script were on the windows to disappear when hit. That scripting I listed earlier.

I'll take a look when I get home and if I have to, remove certain textures and geometry that I added over the past day or so and work up to current, testing along the way.

EDIT: Error located. Apparently I selected two textures from the following folder:

TEX
- PROTOTYPE
-- _OLDPROTOTYPE

On a side note, where in blazes does a Windows 7 installed DEdit save the .dat? I keep getting .lta and .ltc files, but I want to make the .dat for testing. Currently I have to save the map into my DropBox or transfer over the network to my desktop in order to compile the .dat file. Workable but bothersome when I am going to need to test as much as I intend to by tmw night.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

deeahchur wrote:What comfuses me about the command strings is that I didn't use any in relation to textures.
I'm doing this from memory, but the reason I brought it up: I believe there are one or two textures that were unused in the game, which have a mistake in the Command String. Since Monolith didn't end up using them, they didn't bother to fix the mistakes. So then if you choose those textures yourself, it causes trouble.
On a side note, where in blazes does a Windows 7 installed DEdit save the .dat?
It should be exactly the same as on XP, with the World Processor placing the .DAT in the same folder as your .LTA/.LTC./.TBW. By default, I believe Windows 7 hides more things in the Program Files folder than XP unless you change a couple of settings.

In the Windows Explorer file browser menu: Organize > Layout > place a checkmark beside Menu bar > Tools > Folder options > View tab > put the dot in the circle beside Show hidden files, folder, or drives > remove the checkmark beside Hide protected operating system files. Might also want to remove the checkmark beside Hide extensions for known file types.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:Since Monolith didn't end up using them, they didn't bother to fix the mistakes. So then if you choose those textures yourself, it causes trouble.
Lazy. Just lazy!

I make the motion to remove these dysfunctional files and empty folders left in the stack as the next revision for the autoinstaller. Simply not including these should not break DEdit for use.

I really think the devs could have learned a thing or two by not duplicating files and maintaining a better orgnaization of their textures.
In the Windows Explorer file browser menu: Organize > Layout > place a checkmark beside Menu bar > Tools > Folder options > View tab > put the dot in the circle beside Show hidden files, folder, or drives > remove the checkmark beside Hide protected operating system files. Might also want to remove the checkmark beside Hide extensions for known file types.
Must be hidden, because I'[ve looked for the .dat and can't find it. I've only recently started using Windows 7, so I admit to not really knowing how to navigate it efficiently.

Thanks, FAQ!

YCP_HQ is on track for Alpha release tonight and will be available as shared by morning!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

You might also want to check the Advanced tab on the World Processor. See if OutFile is blank or not. If it isn't, then the map won't be output to the default location.

And rather than remove the textures from use, I'd try to fix them. Should be as simple as correcting a typo.

You know, this has me wondering. Lots of people complain about how the game crashes in the fCon levels. It's always the fCon levels, never anywhere else. The crashes are sporadic in nature, too. Not consistent. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, there's a texture actually used by the game that has a mistake. One of the purple textures used on the fCon levels.

And that's why the game only crashes on fCon levels. Because the texture isn't used anywhere else. It's when the player looks at a specific texture on a wall/ceiling/floor in those later levels. The game renders the texture, and at that moment reads the error in that texture. Poof! Game crashes.

The only problem with trying to fix any errors in the textures, is that there's thousands of them. Going through every single one to find any mistakes is a bit of a nightmare. T-(
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:You might also want to check the Advanced tab on the World Processor. See if OutFile is blank or not. If it isn't, then the map won't be output to the default location.
It is blank. I've run it enough times and checked that myself to be sure, anyway. I installed Tron and the self-installer fresh on the laptop. Actually running process world and then run world functions, so I use that for quick checks (hence being able to resolve the texture issue in a timely fashion). On my desktop, I would have to uninstall and reinstall to be able to use the run world button. I know, it is advised to run the .dat from Custom, anyway, but I just wanted to do quick checks.
TronFAQ wrote:And rather than remove the textures from use, I'd try to fix them. Should be as simple as correcting a typo.
I admit I wouldn't know where to start with this. I replaced the textures, anyway.
TronFAQ wrote:You know, this has me wondering. Lots of people complain about how the game crashes in the fCon levels. It's always the fCon levels, never anywhere else. The crashes are sporadic in nature, too. Not consistent. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, there's a texture actually used by the game that has a mistake. One of the purple textures used on the fCon levels.

And that's why the game only crashes on fCon levels. Because the texture isn't used anywhere else. It's when the player looks at a specific texture on a wall/ceiling/floor in those later levels. The game renders the texture, and at that moment reads the error in that texture. Poof! Game crashes.

The only problem with trying to fix any errors in the textures, is that there's thousands of them. Going through every single one to find any mistakes is a bit of a nightmare. T-(
Very curious, indeed. I have not yet experienced this issue. Is it with the MP level or is it in the SP scenario?
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

In that case, then I would deliberately put something in OutFile. Not ideal, but at least a temporary solution until you can figure out exactly what's going on.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Buena Vista Interactive\Tron 2.0\Game\WORLDS\YCPMapName.dat
The "(x86)" is if you're using a 64-bit version of Win 7. If it's 32-bit, leave that part out. That's assuming you installed the game to the default location. If you still can't find the .DAT, then something out of the ordinary is happening.
deeahchur wrote:Is it with the MP level or is it in the SP scenario?
Single Player. It seems to happen most often on the Command Module level, but I've had it happen to me on various fCon levels. The problem could also be a bug in the DataWraith AI code. The crashing often seemed to happen once the DataWraiths appear. But it could just as easily be something else. Hence, the texture theory.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

TronFAQ wrote:In that case, then I would deliberately put something in OutFile. Not ideal, but at least a temporary solution until you can figure out exactly what's going on.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Buena Vista Interactive\Tron 2.0\Game\WORLDS\YCPMapName.dat
The "(x86)" is if you're using a 64-bit version of Win 7. If it's 32-bit, leave that part out. That's assuming you installed the game to the default location. If you still can't find the .DAT, then something out of the ordinary is happening.
x86 is correct for my system, and I installed to default location. I'll check the hidden files first, and if that doesn't work, then I'll force a .dat file creation.
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

So good to see this thread being put to good use. :)
Apologies for chiming in out of nowhere.
I just had one of those attack of nostalgia moments an wanted to come look at my Carrier again an see what was new for the 2.0.

I apologize for being away an not hanging out so much on the forum with all of my friends here... but I have "VERY" clingy/time needy girlfriend... so not had much PC+ME time.

How is everyone?
Good I hope!
I looked over your recent posts Dee, progress looks very good. T-]

Heya to all my LDSO buds. miss all of ya.

Hope to get to talk again soon.
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Hey Hangman! Great to see you online, even if it is just stopping in!

I've been working off and on to at least finish one map of mine. I've required a bit of assistance on technical questions, so this forum has been busier with that activity as of late.

I hope to see you online again soon!

Have fun with the GF!

Tc)
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G