TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member
Do you own a copy of Tron 2.0?: Yes
What is your favorite Tron character color?: Cyan
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Deathmatch

Re: Dedit, Map Making Q's

Post by TronFAQ »

Well, I figured it out. Got our fellow in the sidecar to move back and forth. I'm afraid it's a bit complicated. Here's how I did it.

First, I changed the SlidingWorldModel to a SlidingDoor. This has the advantage of making it easy to get the sidecar to keep moving back and forth. I renamed the SlidingDoor object to ChairMover, the brush to Chair, and the AI char to SystemMonitor.

The SystemMonitor char must have the MoveToFloor option set to False. Or else he will fall through the chair.

The Chair brush gets bound to the ChairMover object. In the Attachments property of this ChairMover (SlidingDoor) we put in the name of the AI char, SystemMonitor. This attaches him to the chair so he will move with it.

In the Options, we change these settings: ForceMoveOn to True, ForceMoveOff to True, PlayerActivate to False, AIActivate to False, StartOpen to True, TriggerClose to False, RemainOpen to False, ForceMove to True, Locked to False, Waveform to Sine, and ActivateType to None.

The ForceMove settings will make the Chair push anything out of the way. So if a player jumps up and bumps into the chair as it moves, he/she will get pushed away. Otherwise, the players can pass through the chair. (Bad!) StartOpen makes the chair start moving as soon as the map loads. Waveform affects how the chair moves. Sine makes it start slow, get up to speed, then slow down again near the end.

In DamageProperties, I set Mass to 10000. This makes the chair heavier and more massive than the players, so the chair will definitely push them out of the way.

In the Commands, I set ClosedCommand to:

Code: Select all

msg ChairMover trigger
This tells the game that after one trip back and forth, to keep going. The chair will always keep moving.

For MoveDir, set Z to -1. This will make the chair move in a Z plane direction, toward the other side of the room. I set MoveDist to 512, which moves it pretty far to the other side. Think of OpeningTime as "how long it takes to move to the other side". I set it to 30, which made it move pretty slowly.

You might want to adjust MoveDist and OpeningTime to your liking, to make it move a bit longer/shorter distance or a bit faster/slower.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users
What is your favorite Tron character color?: White

Post by deeahchur »

+ add to wiki

GREAT JOB!

That didn't sound too complicated, at least with the way you explained it. Thanks FAQ!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users
What type of multiplayer do you like to play?: Lightcycles

Post by HangmanEXE »

WOW! That looks incredible now TYVM FAQ!! That officially MADE my day! Again TYVM!

it will have a new prelim of the 95% fully assembled full carrier model on a test viewing map. I created a Light cycle arena with spectator objects so ppl can take a look at the carrier in full an assembled very easily. I am still placing all my textures but... WOW... the corrected glows MADE the bridge stunning to look now. I gotta share for ppl to see this.

I have 1 question about this method tho that I fell I need to ask tho on behalf of ppl who might use this later.

If I pack this up as a prefab item will ppl who possibly rotate the carrier experience issues with the moving chairs direction? Or will it auto rotate the move direction as the prefab is rotated? I ask in case I need to make a special note for the carriers release, so builders will be aware of the issue when using it.

"Special note also for ppl who use this method, the sliding door object must be placed in its closed door position to start. Not the open door position. I just discovered this the hard way"
In my day we didn't need these fancy R,G,B, LCD an 3D colors!
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

If someone rotates the Carrier and all its content then, yes, the chair will keep moving in the original direction and mess up the map.

However, it's easily fixed. The same fix prevents having to move the chair to the closed position (or vice-versa).

In MoveDir, I set Z to -1. If, for you or anyone who downloads the Carrier, the chair moves in the wrong direction: try one of these four values in MoveDir.

X = 1
X = -1
Z = 1
Z = -1

One of those is going to work and give you the result you want. It's important to set only X or Z to 1 or -1 though, not both X and Z.
xistence
[LDSO] Site Admin
[LDSO] Site Admin

Post by xistence »

X is width (in the lower right view you would move left or right)
Y is height (in lower left or right view you would go up or down)
Z is Depth (in the upper right view you would go up or down)

With this information it is (should be) possible to find the solution w/o trying all cases of values.

Coordinates are based on Vectors (concept used in 3D engines), a vector is just a translation from an origin point, so a Vector is a three dimensional movement/direction pointer. If you use things that would change things in a three dimensional space, you 'translate' them, this translation is fixed to the coordinate system.
So, if you define a movement (vector), you do this 'static' with defining values for X,X,Z. If you rotate, as TronFAQ already said, you need to correct this vector.
I already tried to find a solution to add 'rotation' as translation, to prevent this extra work (other engines are cappable to do this), but so far i can't found an implementation in this engine, so prefabs have to be adapted if rotated.
ldso:// - Living Dead System Operators
[2.0PD] - 2.0 Program Developers
blog
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Ok, tyvm guys. I will keep a note to post that in my notes for when I release the carrier. ATM it is set to the X as 1.0 atm for the position it is in atm.... I always seem to end up building at 90o off from directly ahead... no clu why...
A program was happy to process 15 megacycles just to get to use monochrome display! You program's today wouldn't know a hard microcycles work if it came up and derez'd ya from behind!
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Hey FAQ, do you or anyone else in LDSO, or ANYONE HERE have a full or even a partial typed up list of all the commands that we can give AI bots to do like the sit an work the console? Like this one...

cineractloop gen_sitwork1

...for the sitting an working a console.
As I would love to mess around with that some and see what is possible.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

No, but the newly added FEAR documentation in the self-installing tools has a list of pretty much all the commands. That's part of the reason why I included it this time around. It doesn't list animations, though.

A lot of stuff does not apply to TRON 2.0 because they updated the game engine for FEAR and added new things. But some of it does still apply.

The difference between the TRON 2.0 documentation (frankly, all the older Monolith games) and the FEAR documentation is night and day. Monolith actually put some effort into the docs for FEAR.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

OOOOooo!!! Nice! Have to go look at that documentation now. Thanks for the fast reply FAQ!

Also, I wanted to mention that I have a few extra Dedit tutorial videos that you can add to the pack FAQ. These are from the same author that made the NOLF news.com ones. Its one on how to make a Cutscene, as well as another for ladders.
I know that the ladders wont "most likely" be used for TRON mapping but I felt they might be nice for ppl working on other Dedit built games who use your packs vids.

If you would like either of these or both linked just drop me a line here or in a PM bud an I will post a link up asap.
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

HangmanEXE wrote:Also, I wanted to mention that I have a few extra Dedit tutorial videos that you can add to the pack FAQ. These are from the same author that made the NOLF news.com ones. Its one on how to make a Cutscene, as well as another for ladders.
Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me about those. Completely forgot about them. I actually saved all of those videos before NOLFGirl shut down. (NOLFGirl started out as NOLFNews.) Next time, I'll add whichever ones are still useful. With some of them, too much changed between NOLF and TRON 2.0. So they'd confuse more than help.
HangmanEXE wrote:Hey FAQ, I just wanted to let ya know that I tried to get to that documentation file you mentioned in that new installer. But I kept receiving an error: [folder name could not be found] every time with "EVERY" folder after this occurred 6 times I copied back my old DIR for [GAME] back an it installed perfectly over it.
That's . . . bizarre. I tested the installer on both my XP SP3 and Win 7 SP1 machines. You had the same type of trouble before with the extraction process, too. And then you told me it mysteriously went away. :???: :?:

It's possible your anti-virus programs are interfering with the installation. Sometimes anti-viruses will silently delete files as they're installed, without telling you. To be honest, AVG doesn't have the best reputation any more these days. I tried a bunch of different (free) ones and settled on Microsoft Security Essentials as the best one, overall. It's never given me a false positive and is small and light on resources.

But if you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing AVG, then there should be an option to temporarily disable it. Try turning it off when you install, then turn it back on when finished.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Ya, make a mention of it in the info. As when I disabled it an retried it with a fresh install. (0) problems. So AVG was messin with it as it installed.
deeahchur
Registered users
Registered users

Post by deeahchur »

Good to know! Thanks guys!
Ti| / / S C A N N I N G
Tz) / / Incompatable Program detected
Tk| / / Initiate Yggdrassil Conscription Potocol
T=| "Appropriation is the highest form of appreciation."
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

Got 3 new Dedit Learning Q's for ya guys.

How do we go about doing animated textures on flat planes?

Also how do you achieve those floating digital animated displays that most maps have hanging in air or like 1 grid away from the wall itself?

-[edit]- is the second basically the first questions method/answer... but using animated textures on a small plane set away from the wall that are basically transparent for the most part...or am I way off on how this is done?

I ask these Q's as I am very curious about how to make animation in my textures to really beef up the visual punch in my maps that I make [and] I would "really" like to have animated textures on some of the Null Unit consoles and possibly even recreate an animated system map that mimics how the system map changed and altered in the film on the bridge of the carrier as Sark walked up to the interface to speak with the MCP.

-[edit 2]-

Added new question.
Does anyone have any ideas how that I could go about creating that forcefield wall that came down in layers and surrounded Sark as he spoke to the MCP?
[just from outsides appearance... inside would be a hell to do not even going think about that sde yet...[shivers]..
TronFAQ
[LDSO] Member
[LDSO] Member

Post by TronFAQ »

The answer to your second question is more or less the answer to your first, yup. If you look at the properties of each brush, there's something called a TextureEffect. You click on the "B" and a new window appears. From there, you can select all kinds of premade ones.

Each one will have a different effect on the texture used on that brush. Basically, they pan the textures around at different speeds or in different directions. You'll have to experiment with them to find which one you like.

Also, if you load the Derez DM-03 sample map there's a bunch of those types of panels on the walls that you can take a look at.

About creating a wall/force field around someone while talking to the MCP. That one's kind of complicated. I'll have to get back to you on that, when I have the time to write it up. Unless someone beats me to it.
HangmanEXE
Registered users
Registered users

Post by HangmanEXE »

tronfaq wrote:The answer to your second question is more or less the answer to your first, yup. If you look at the properties of each brush, there's something called a TextureEffect. You click on the "B" and a new window appears. From there, you can select all kinds of premade ones.

Each one will have a different effect on the texture used on that brush. Basically, they pan the textures around at different speeds or in different directions. You'll have to experiment with them to find which one you like.
I assume your answer here is how your guys did that twinkling effect running along the edges in your LDSO TRON film recreation Cave map.

What I was basicly looking for was the ability to create the effect of certain texture spots lighting up an dimming back out an others doing the same on the console when they were zoomed in on it when it showed FLYNN being led away to the Light Cycle holding area on the screen on that Console.
I basically wasn't sure if I had to do up custom animation frames image/frame by frame then made into a sprite or something or how it has to be done exactly.
Basicly like how in that one Light Cycle map in the Big pack that is ...if I remember its name correctly... VMAN_HOME [his house I assume] where it showing the original TRON film on his TV upstairs. Would an animated console with lights coming on an going off be done like that, if so how is that done?

-[EDIT]- apologies to everyone for all my pestering Questions. I do intend to do write ups of all this helpful info on the WIKI once it goes live, "hopefully" some ppl will read it an might save everyone some irritation...lord knows you LDSO guys deserve it for putting up with ppl like me for so long... rotflol.
tronfaq wrote:Also, if you load the Derez DM-03 sample map there's a bunch of those types of panels on the walls that you can take a look at.
Awesome just looked at that map...you solved that problem very well, TY FAQ.
tronfaq wrote:About creating a wall/force field around someone while talking to the MCP. That one's kind of complicated. I'll have to get back to you on that, when I have the time to write it up. Unless someone beats me to it.
No rush bud, as I am still hip deep in texture coordinate tweaking atm sitll... [rolls eyes].. UGH... its mind-numbingly tedious work. But it will pay off in the end. :) lol.